The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Little Everglades (from a driver's perspective)

Posted this elsewhere, but I do not think anyone has noticed it. So I will try with a new thread.

Little Everglades was great for Rylee and me. We had our best dressage test ever with a 56 and in 5th place. We were finally in a position where we were in striking distance of being able to win. Diana Brownleigh, the English judge who judges many of the CAI CDE's in the USA came up to me at the end of marathon and complimented me on how well Rylee is now doing in dressage. She said she has watched her for several years and was so happy to see the pony reaching the potential she knew she had. Rylee was perfect in the marathon. Middle of the window on A, 9 min. 4 sec. on D (we were allowed 10:55), and pretty much middle of the window on E tho we walked in from the last hazard. Rylee was flying in the hazards winning 5 of the 6. We were in first place going into cones. Unfortunately, I dropped the ball (or 2 in this case) and dropped to third. Guess it has been a long time since I have had to handle that kind of pressure and let it get to me.
    I would like to thank Susan Epstein for helping me warm up the mare and navigating for me. She is awesome. Sara Schmidtt helped me a few times just before the show and won our division with her green pony, Hootie. She was kind enough to give me her trophy since I was sort of whining about there not being a special award for winning marathon. Thank you Sara! If there had been a special award for winning cones, it would have been Judy Fryer. That was great too. Philip and she are wonderful supporters of our sport and try so hard at every show. Sybil Humphries won the only special award which was for dressage, but she had the bad luck to miss a gate in the first hazard. Even tho the overall was won by a 43 year old, the winners of the 3 sections were all over 65 (I think, not sure about Sybil). Anyway, it was a great show. Thank you Little Everglades CDE (and the volunteers, too!).

I know you looked great on Hazard 2. Congrats on winning marathon and we all drop balls occasionally--it is the way of the sport.

Great job.

[QUOTE=49'er;4659907] I would like to thank Susan Epstein for helping me warm up the mare and navigating for me. She is awesome. Sara Schmidtt helped me a few times just before the show and won our division with her green pony, Hootie. She was kind enough to give me her trophy since I was sort of whining about there not being a special award for winning marathon. Thank you Sara!

I rode with Sara for over 10 years when I lived in NJ-she really is a great person who is willing to help out anyone! I remember one dressage show where I kinda volunteered her to back a horse trailer without asking her! Wasn't even mine and I didn't know the people. They just came up and asked can anyone back a horse trailer-I of course opened my big mouth and said sure Sara can! As soon as I said I realized that my next lesson was not going to be a fun one

So near and sounds like you're really making headway.

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction and well done on your improved dressage and especially the cross country phase.

Great job, you and that beautiful pony!

Well done Dona and Rylee!