The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Many of us have not met KS but felt we had through not only her posts, but the photos that ETBW would post from VA gatherings, and KS's own lively spirited posts.
    And of course Inverness' own posts were delightful.

I was thinking of KS before I saw this earlier today, when I saw a photo of a tiara being worn upside down. I was wondering if she had tried that look yet.
    I doubt I shall look at another tiara without thinking of KS.

"Proud Member Of The I Love Dublin, Starman Babies, Mini Horse, Sunnieflax and Horse Boxes Cliques"

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Anyplace Farm,

I thought of you immediately yesterday when I read this news. Your post just had such a healing effect on me. I didn't know Babs but felt as if I did and when you can sum up someone's radiant life with the inclusion of "Crackerbarrel Barbie" and make me literally choke on coffee, well, it helps me know that Babs just really crossed over to a better, more fabulous plane.

What a treasure of a woman to've made such an impact on all.

high high post post
    i dont brag i mostly boast
    from the VA to da LA coast
    izzy kizzy lizzy go
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I knew and rode with Babs many years ago. Whether it was a lesson or a witty statement, Babs gave you the most. I am truly a better person by having the pleasure of knowing her and learned there is humor in everything. I can remember walking into a party and being hit in the face by her bra (which she put on the ceiling fan). She was such a character.

Maryland Clique

The Confederacy

Oh great Bab-o!

I don't know where to begin. While I am sad that we won't have more fun times on Earth together, I can't help but start laughing whenever I think of you. There are countless funny stories I could relate - but the one that takes the cake by far was the party at Mr. Schock's during Upperville of '02. Me and Mr. Cavallo - discussing electro-ejaculating bulls in front of you and my Yankee - all the while eating an 8-gallon tub of cream puffs. Just the thought of your antics that evening make me laugh til my stomach hurts. I am amazed beyond belief that we were even allowed back at that show this year.

You were the ultimate party person. You know that age old question, "If you were throwing a dinner party and could invite 5 famous people - who would they be?" Well you would definitely be one. The epitome of a conversationalist - you turned any dull moment into a hysterical one.

In your honor, and in order to carry on your sassy-lippy-ness....
    - I will get Mr. Cornwell to ride a mechanical bull
    -I will see to it that the Counselor and Kats ride (whether on horse or in wheelchair) off into the sunset together
    - While you often criticized me for not hitting the points trail with more efforts, I have plenty of friends that will not fail you
    - I will roll my eyes at Private Dancer and tell him he is full of sh*t every chance I get - and I will do it with a smile on my face
    - I will kick back a Bahama Mama for you at the Shark Club
    - I will do my best to re-enact the "Kennett Square at Bruce Davidson's" memoirs the next time I go hunting.
    - I will make sure Colin names her daughter Babette
    - I will have Ms. Hough make me a Patey with a built in tiara

Do not fear KS, there are plenty of us sassy girls left to see to it that your attitude is never absent from the ingate.

I am so glad we got to stir up trouble for a brief moment at this year's edition of America's oldest horse show. It was so much fun to recall so many great Bab-o moments with your friends at Loudoun yesterday.

Love you much and VA showing just ain't gonna be the same!

All hail - The Queen of Horse Showing.

Much love, Jessi and The Yankee

*PS - I am really hoping that Moesha will re-post the picture of you giving Mr. Workman a lesson on Pockets

Soo sad, so hard to to know what to say. Babs rescued us and brought us to Cavallo. Haven't looked back yet. As others have said it's the laughter we will all miss. I know each Thursday when I walk in the barn I will expect to see her sitting on her blue stool in the ring teaching her students and waiting to hear her laughter or a comment such as others have stated, "you are making my eyes bleed". It really hasn't sunk in yet. I keep expecting to see her car parked in the lot or to see her walk around the corner. She will be missed.
    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

The Home of Tim Horton's

This has got to be alternatively the saddest and happiest tribute I've read in quite a while.

I wish I had the pleasure of meeting Babs in person, it sounds like Virginia will be a lesser place without her

Godspeed Babs.

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." ~ Ellen Parr
    ~Mighty TB Clique~

I only knew Babs for four years but should have known her all my life. Imagine our delight when exchanging bits of information at a local show, we discovered that we grew up within 10 miles of each other, rode the same trails, knew the same people and that Bab's best friend had bought from me the first horse I ever sold!

Babs was my mentor, my mother hen, my co-conspirator, my support system and my friend.

Several years ago, when a group of us got together for the steeplechases at Old Dominion, I took a photo to commemorate our "virtual" friends from COTH. It was a folding chair draped with a KrispyKreme sweatshirt, and in the seat were several boxes of peeps, a map of Canada and a bottle of Absolute and CranRaspberry juice.

I toted that bottle of Absolute to every outing where there was a chance of Babs' attending. The level went down slowly (she did switch off for a good margharita!).

The bottle is in my pantry, waiting for Babs.

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

I didn't know Babs in real life.

They say the greatest judge of a teacher is their students. When seeing the love for the horse, humility, grand humor, and ultimate horsmanship passed on to her students on this board, it is clear that Babs was a very, very gifted teacher indeed.

To lose such a teacher is a terrible loss indeed. My condolences to all that knew her.

Northern Virginia, U.S.A.

I am really shocked as well. My prayers are with her family members and her Cavallo family.

I didn't know Babs that well - one of my oldest friends since childhood (I'll call her S) rode with Peter and Dale in the mid-80s and she knew Babs. When my friend and I got back into riding a few years ago after taking extended school/career breaks, we started hitting the local shows again.

When we went to some shows at Cavallo my friend introduced me to Babs, and I was struck by her outsized personality and infectious laugh, as well as her kind and encouraging words for my friend's green young horse.

At the first COTH outing I went to in December of 2001 (the Magpie's gig) Babs was there, immediately remembering that I was S's friend and generally making me feel like I was a welcome part of the group - even though I didn't know anyone.

Elghund, as I recall that evening we all got to enjoy that amazing mousse of yours!

I guess that's the kind of person she was - she was a bright bright light who drew everyone in and everyone just wanted to be around her. The epitome of fun, graciousness and zest for seeking laughter in life.

Again, I didn't know her well and only saw her a few times in 2002. That said, I was out at Cavallo inquiring about boarding in early April of this year and I was really bummed that she wasn't there and I wouldn't get an opportunity to chat/dish with her for a bit.

That's all - if those few occasions that I knew her were that memorable and fun, I cannot imagine the shock and pain her dear friends and family must be going through right now.

I am so so sorry for all of you. May the Lord's comfort be with you in these difficult days.

[This message was edited by Flashy Gray on Jun. 16, 2003 at 02:35 PM.]

This is truly heartbreaking.

I too, did not know her, but I loved her posts. She epitomized what was great about this board.

Washington, D.C., U.S.A.

I am just stunned.

I was fortunate enough to know Babs for a year while I played "adult amateur" at Cavallo, and then again when I brought Elliot there for a few months of recovery and down time. She graciously averted her eyes when I wore black britches, a helmet cover, and "eventing" T-shirts; or gunned down a six stride line in five. She was a wonderful wonderful person. Whomever said that you can judge a teacher by her students was right. Babs has WONDERFUL kids. They take care of their ponies and ride the best that they can. They are walking tributes to this wonderful woman that we lost.

For those of you (like myself) who are having trouble getting past the "WHY?"... Well, the only reason I can come up with as to why we would lose someone as young and vibrant as Babs is this:

There must've been some ponies and pumpkins in Heaven that needed her help.

My condolences to the entire Cavallo Farm family. Godspeed Babs. I will miss you.

Half of Riding is 30% mental ... no wonder there are so many bad riders

I was off line all weekend and when i saw ETBW's post on TTR, i thought it had to be mistaken.

I only had a couple opportunities to meet babs, and we laughed over mimosas.

She did have a marvelous laugh.

The loss is of enormous proportions. I send my sympathy and condolences to all those that loved and were loved by her.

--- My most endearing quality lies in my willingness to humiliate myself
    Life Goes On

I was asked by a dear friend of Babs to post this: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was going to try very hard not to post on this thread..... on the one hand I hate "public" displays and I know that Babs knows what's in all our hearts right now, even if we don't post on this thread. On the other hand, though, just reading all these wonderful posts about her helps a bit in dealing with such a loss.

When I first starting "corresponding" with Babs years ago, we soon recognized in each other kindred spirits, point whores 'til our last breath, both with an "evil" sense of humor. Never truly evil, however, something that was often misunderstood on the BB, sharp, biting, and yeah sometimes brutally honest, but never in a meanspirited way.

Too many funny, bittersweet memories to remember...

- Babs racing by me in her spanking new Volvo, of which she was so proud, on Afton mountain on the way to my first, and last, VHSA Associate show.

- Babs howling (along with me) at my loud crash at said show, and informing me that I'd started a new fad, as 10 pros got dumped at the following Rosemount show.

- Trying to stump each other with horse show trivia - and she was right up there with the best. Was it Gozzi, Life's Pursuit, Jac Quest?

- Howling over her wild stories of life with Patty H. and Gene C. in Southern Pines.

- Laughing about her antics with champagne, grapes and her latest boytoy catch.

Whenever I was moping and feeling sorry for myself, Babs was always the first to give me a well deserved kick in the a$$ and tell me to shape up and get on with life.

How many, many times did I tell her I would be the first to pack that huge bottle of Absolut in with her at her final day. Course I always told her, jokingly, that she'd better wear a bikini and pack some sunscreen where she was going, it would be very hot. I never dreamed, of course, that that day would come so painfully soon.

Here's to you, dear Babs, the chilled Absolut, and a healthy dose of evil humor, is on its way.

Alex Trebek

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

New York, NY, USA

A couple of years ago at Upperville, a group of bbers sat in the stands watching hunters and drinking bloody marys. Babs was there and she was definitely the life of the party. After that day, and reading her BB posts, I can easily understand all the great tributes posted here about her. What a sad and tragic loss....

Dallas, TX

I am among those who knew Babs via this BB community. God Speed to a wonderful person and horseman.

Warrenton, VA

Babs was the face at horse shows that always had a smile and a joke. She made everyone around her smile.

May your journey take you to far off places,
    May your humor introduce you to far off faces
    Behind you leave memories of joy and gladness
    You touched our lives, and we'll smile thru sadness

VA, but visitor to Garrison & Toronto

I'm smiling through the tears yet again because these beautiful, yet poignantly sad, posts.

"B***h in training"
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Lowandaway Guest

I first met Babs when she came to Cavallo in the fall of 1996. Over the years there, she was truly one of the most signficant factors in Cavallo being a fun place and a great community of friends. She touched the lives of each member of our family, most importantly my daughter's. Although she was not, until recently, her trainer, Babs and Paige shared a very special bond. As a father, I benefited from Bab's special insight into the heart and soul of my daughter. As a show dad, I benefited from her love of the sport and her desire to teach and guide all who came to the sport wanting to learn and know.

I think my most fond memory of her was a weekend day back in the fall of 1999 when Paige and Treaty were doing some serious point hunting in Associate large pony hunter and pony eq. The object of the venture was to go down and meet the competition on their field. This consisted of the three of us trailering Treaty from Cavallo all the way down to some field in an incredibly remote corner of tidewater VA. Suffice it to say that it was a trip filled with intrigue, laughter, scandal, a drive through lane of a Hardee's and, of course, points (!). We did about 4 hours of driving each way for about and hour and a half of showing. Even four years later Babs and I would hoot about that trip.

For everytrip Paige takes, I will always say a thank you to Babs for all of her love, enthusiasm, humor and care.

Friday night, when we gathered to remeber Babs and comfort each other, we left her traditional seat at the end of the table empty. Our tradtional post-show "communions" of food, friends and stories will always be one dear, kind friend short.

It seems so unreal. She was a remarkable person....she loved and cared about everyone......It just seems unbelievable that last week we were talking at Upperville..and of course her "pumpkins" were the main thing on her mind...What a truly great lady. I was looking through my Albums and I have a lot of pictures of Babs....and it seems so unreal that we won't hear her voice or see her smile..or the way she would roll her eyes and smile and say"It's ok honey...when she really meant ok princess get over the Diva moment and get in the ring and ride!!"

I guess we never know how precious memories can be and how much people mean to us whether they are in our lives for a lifetime or a brief moment....because it only takes a second to touch someone's heart and Babs touched so many people.

I was trying to think of all of the great times.....and there are just too many to mention...

Thank you Babs for being such an inspiration in so many peoples lives and for bringing so much to so many.......

I know I'll look for you at the top of the Bleachers in Culpeper this summer and you'll be there with your tiara and your boa smiling down on all of us.

"All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

East River, SD

As with Catctuskate and Dublin, I wish I could have met her in person. My sympathies to her family and friends.
    ~This is *way* more fun than doing something productive~