The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Getting Back in Riding Shape- Help??

Title says it- I need help! I've been off for about 2 and a half months due to a back problem that needed physical therapy, so of course no riding. Hopefully this week I'll finally get back on! However, I've gotten REALLY out of shape. I can't even imagine the saddle sores I'm gonna get trying to get it back together.

Any suggestions as to how to avoid said saddle sores and muscle deadness?

Note- I'm a teenager (waaaay too young for back problems ) and I've just started rowing crew again so I can't do anything too strenuous...

Thanks!
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Question

Wait a minute- I'm confused!
    You are recovering from a back injury and you are starting out rowing?? What has your P.T. suggested? Does your P.T. ride or work with riders?

Most of the rider exercises are for core muscles,trans-verse abdominous muscles, leg combinations. I don't know rowing other than one uses one's back with force, which, I think, would be tough on recovery.

Default clarification

I was rowing and riding at the same time and that's probably what triggered the back reaction. I've just started lightly rowing again (like 10 min or less and some cardio) but I still haven't been cleared to ride as of now.

My PT doesn't specifically work with riders but he's really good and knows about what I've been doing and what I'm gonna be doing when riding (I've explained in great detail! )
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/