The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EPSM diet

What is the best fat to give a horse on an EPSM diet?

I have a draft X who just eats a few alfalfa cubes and a handful of triple crown 30% twice a day just to mix with her Platinum and other supplements, in addition to nice free choice hay.

I don't want her to GAIN any weight, but from all my reading it seems she needs more fat in her diet.

What would be the "best" fat to give her? Oil? BOSS? Cocosoya?

She weighs about 1100 lbs currently and she looks fine, but any more and she'd be overweight.

You could see if she'll eat her supplements soaked in Cocosoya oil instead of the 'falf and TC 30. Cocosoya is very very palatable, it sort of smells like the popcorn butter at the movie theater. If that is cost prohibitive, I've heard of some people using regular oil (like soybean oil, canola oil, etc.) and adding a touch of coconut milk to simulate the flavor of Cocosoya.

While you are a very sweet mommy to offer her free choice hay, perhaps you could put her on a slow-feeder hay net? If you can reduce overall hay consumption, that would make some calorie room for fat.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

My mare is on the EPSM diet and gets 2 qts of Rice Bran as well as 3 cups of Cocosoya per day in addition to some hay pellets so that she thinks she's actually getting some grain . It has been working well for her for the past 4 years and keeps her comfortable enough to be eventing at the upper levels with no problems. 24-hour turnout has also been crucial for her to keep her muscles happy.

I had to find an oil substitute that I could count on being given every day. I use Cool Calories. I read that Dr. Valentine said this could be used instead of oil. I also give 3000 i.u.s of vitamin E. I think I'm overly cautious, as he also gets Tie Free and Smart Pak Muscle Stamina. I've had great luck w/ this for over a year.

pitterson Guest

If you have a mature horse that stays slightly on the fat side even after eating very little to no grain you shouldn’t be too worried, especially if they are one of the warm blood breeds. The time when you need to be concerned is if it is a pony or a horse that consumes the early spring grass or from winter grazing and gets fat as a result.

Check out this link for some examples of diets, they should help you get a feel for where to make changes:

http://www.draftresource.com/EPSM/Draft_EPSM_DIets.html

Paco, well, actually all the horses here with the exception of the mini whinnies are on the second to the last version, #6. They all get Strategy, Veg oil and hay with Horseshine, MegaCell and MSM.

We tried some of the different variations and this is the one that has worked wonders. Paco was our primary concern, and once his optimal weight was reached we started weaning out the grain little by little.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

equineartworks, if it works it works...but Strategy seems like an odd choice for a low-carb high-fat diet. Strategy is 28% NSC with corn and molasses as major ingredients. Not what I'd call a low-carb grain. The rest of the ration is very low NSC so I guess that's what's balancing it?
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

We have two here on that type of diet - both get beet pulp (no molasses), Triple Crown Low Starch and Manna Pro Rice Bran pellets. Horse and pony look great, hold weight well and have plenty of energy.

jn4jenny...none of the other versions worked and they look like a million bucks...who am I to argue Paco gets 4 pounds per day total, but more hay. He does get the full pound of veg oil. The change was dramatic when we started him on this version. He is totally different horse today than he was in June when we brought him back here.

Omegatin worked to a point but it was SO expensive. The horses ADORED IT.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.