The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 92 of 113 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2256

"East End Boy is another one that was a fave. Cuter than a speckled pop, that one!"

Callista, it sounds to me like the 2nd trainer is making progress and you should hang in there and have faith that things will turn around. From what you have posted it sounds like the bolting may be a bit of playful naughtiness testing how much he can get away with, and then it got you nervous and almost expecting it, which he then read and reacted to. But with the good new trainer he is learning he cannot get away with certain things. The better he gets your confidence will come back as well.
    As for first trainer saying your horse is hopeless, that is just the trainer not being able to admit they don't have all the answers for every horse, so they blame the horse instead of learn and adapt as a trainer.
    Your horse may not turn around overnight, but no reason at all that a turn around can't happen. One of my Finests went from being hyper reactive, testing and questioning everything in ground work to the extent excellent trainers and I wondered if he would be rideable, to becoming with patient but persistent excellent training one of the softest loveliest horses to ride that trainer and I have ever experienced.
    Good luck and keep the faith!

Default Relative News

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-Pony View Post
    Tally Me Out (class of 2010) and I had a great horse show this past weekend, and brought home quite a few blue ribbons! I had so much fun and left the ring every time with a huge smile plastered across my face!

And my apologies for my double chin in the first pic! HAHAH

http://i.imgur.com/6cfxS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vT6MM.jpg
    Congrats LP! Tally is by Take Me Out, and he seems to pass his good front end jumping style to his get - the same facial expression, too. I have a Take Me Out gelding, Take Me Flying and see lots of similarities. Another Take Me Out kid, Take Me Out John, stands stud in FL (last I checked) and he has quite a few offspring that are doing well as sports horses.

You chose well!

FF
    Last edited by Friskyflea; Aug. 17, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo

Default "Are Those For Me?

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post

(I also got my pictures back of him at my wedding. Have to share a few...they came out so well! Hands down one of the best presents ever. )

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-d...16793850_n.jpg
    PRICELESS...

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    Callista, it sounds to me like the 2nd trainer is making progress and you should hang in there and have faith that things will turn around. From what you have posted it sounds like the bolting may be a bit of playful naughtiness testing how much he can get away with, and then it got you nervous and almost expecting it, which he then read and reacted to. But with the good new trainer he is learning he cannot get away with certain things. The better he gets your confidence will come back as well.
    As for first trainer saying your horse is hopeless, that is just the trainer not being able to admit they don't have all the answers for every horse, so they blame the horse instead of learn and adapt as a trainer.
    Your horse may not turn around overnight, but no reason at all that a turn around can't happen. One of my Finests went from being hyper reactive, testing and questioning everything in ground work to the extent excellent trainers and I wondered if he would be rideable, to becoming with patient but persistent excellent training one of the softest loveliest horses to ride that trainer and I have ever experienced.
    I totally agree.

I did discover something with one my ottb's... he gets higher than a kite when fed grain (so do his brothers lol).

when i first got him, i was feeding a grass balancer. why did i switch... who knows, but when being fed grain... he acted like a nut at shows (so very uncharacteristic of him). happened to ask the person that had him and said... don't feed him grain... since going off the grain, he's been his consistent normal self!!!!

just a thought

Default IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Callista17 View Post
    Thanks, yes, very determined second trainer who loves him. She is actually the BO, who generally does not work with TBs, but has, and generally works w/"problem children"- she loves rearing horses! (I dont).
    He bolts when he feels like it. Sometimes when he's bored, sees a cat, is asked to do something he doesn't want to, he "hears part of the sentence, jumps to conclusions, but doesn't stop to listen", then panics. He DOES NOT STOP and settle. You can keep him under control, but he won't stop his antics-he'll "roll' into another episode -we call him a drama queen, and know he's immature.
    Thanks Lazy-pony. Technically the first trainer is THEE problem horse trainer in the area, and he gave up. I asked him about full time training or a year off- he said once bad always bad under saddle (basically, with the way he was acting). He said he did not believe it would make a difference. Unfortunately the farrier even said...ehhh once they act like that....But this horse is NOT spooky on the ground- hes a love bug!
    Sigh...now there is new info. While I wasn't there this morning, the second trainer did put someone else on, and said with long lines, and a person w/a lot of rein contact (first they didn't have it, and he started his antics), he was a very good boy- so there is hope I am happy about it, but that means it was me, or the way I was doing things (which, when I was on, was basically with the first trainer, the second was doing a lot of weekly ground work w/me). (They would both be there for a weekly first trainer lesson.)
    Maybe the first trainer just wasn't the right one? Good news, is it seems he's headed in the right direction...Just not sure if its with me (if I had more contact, would he have behaved?).
    Thanks for everyones advice!
    The first trainer may be very good, but I disagree with the "once bad, always bad" pronouncement. I could give you hundreds of reasons, but the best one?... the second trainer

Now, not seeing him when he spooks makes it hard to form opinions about what is going on... You describing as "not stopping to listen" (v. "not listening"), so to me that makes me think that you have picked up a subtle difference, and that fear is involved. Whether it starts with you or him or both, once you kick in that flight response, the brain does indeed stop listening and thinking and proceeds straight to reacting. Another hint - he does better with lots of contact. To me that means he is needing lots of reassurance - physical (for balance) or mental (for a feeling of safety).

I do not find the ground v. under saddle discrepancy puzzling at all. Under saddle he is "on the job" and the sensitive/overachiever types can worry themselves silly, getting rattled when they don't get it right the first time or when you ask them to do something new that they either don't understand well or that physically is difficult. My FLF pulls his tongue back then twists his lips or flaps them loudly when I am working on something he finds difficult (does this with or without a bit, so it is not a mouth issue - 1st thing I ruled out!) Happened with introduction to reinback, turn on the forehand, on the haunches, shoulder in and is now happening with haunches in When he would get his saddlecloth in a wad I would stop him, let him relax (I would take a deep breath) do something he knew and could do, then go back and ask again for the difficult (new) thing, never getting upset at him for any mistakes, but still asking for little steps in the right direction. As he got the muscular strength and coordination and/or confidence right, the facial pantomime subsided.

Totally understand how unnerving it must be for you to ride him thinking "will we have another episode today?" I think that allowing the 2nd trainer to continue working with your 17 hh pony, and perhaps letting several guinea pigs test the "contact" theory would be helpful. When you start believing that the progress is real, perhaps you can take a lesson with your 2nd trainer reproducing the previous successful set ups (long lines + contact). By then, he has had several positive training sessions, and you would be in a better state of trust, and both of you would be set up for success.

Do make sure he is vetted thoroughly for funky stuff that causes 0 to 60 startling. On my list would be Lyme's (if it is endemic in your area), back or hock soreness. What part of the US are you in? Depending on where you are or, more importantly, where his forage is grown, trying magnesium supplementation may be worth a try. You can't test for the levels because most of it in the body is stored in bones, so trying 2-3 mos. of a Mg alone or with Vit B1 supplementation would constitute a therapeutic trial. I would look for the diMg malate form.

Keep us posted!

FF

Default DOH!

Quote Originally Posted by jollytrak View Post
    I totally agree.

I did discover something with one my ottb's... he gets higher than a kite when fed grain (so do his brothers lol).

when i first got him, i was feeding a grass balancer. why did i switch... who knows, but when being fed grain... he acted like a nut at shows (so very uncharacteristic of him). happened to ask the person that had him and said... don't feed him grain... since going off the grain, he's been his consistent normal self!!!!

just a thought
    Good one! Forgot to mention, my horse is on pasture 24/7 but does eat grain. My guy is getting switched to a fixed formula, high fiber/roughage, low starch, low fat pellet: in too much work for just a grass balancer - tried that and he looked a little pinched.

FF

I learned via my FB newsfeed that John Dain has a new home. Time to put him in 2011 horses sold!
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    Thanks everyone! This has been a test. When I got him- a little more than race track weight, so I put him on Triple Crown Complete, he had the abscess, stopped eating, then had surgery, so fast forward- in 1 WEEKEND, he lost 40 lbs at Cornell (I weighed him- in and out- and thats with an empty tummy coming in because I knew he was having surgery ASAP, and out with some food). At Cornell, he had a dentistry, had his caps off, had bloodwork, fecal, besides the surgery etc. He was on Triple Crown Complete when he came home, and began a slight colic approx twice a week, so...we changed his grain- that solved that. He is NOT a big hay eater, so we began w/hay cubes too, which he likes one brand of- he likes the cubes, not the chaffe that breaks off the cubes. Now he is on pills for ulcers, which help, as well as his cubes and hay stretcher and he gets hay. He is not the most easy horse to get weight on! He just is starting to look really good and feel great!
    Medically- he is FINE! I have had him checked out completely.
    I do like the second trainer- she is the BO, and she wanted to stick with the first trainers ideas first, but now shes completely in charge.
    Yeah, the other rider seems to be doing well with him. I saw him do some NAUGHTY things she never saw, and I knew I just can't relax yet with him, and I would make the situation worse. I'm hoping if she rides him for a month, and her and the second trainer keep working him, I can try to ride him again. I think once I see he can behave it will do SOO much for my confidence, and seeing how much contact she has, etc. They think they can get WTC in 1 month!
    This horse has cost me so much....in beer and ice cream. lol I just go home sometimes and think "now what"? This has been months of ground work/trying to work with him.
    The last straw was the first trainer trying to pony him w/me on him, and he just wanted to "undress" the other pony, he kept trying to play halter tag and bridle tag, and we never got his attention. The BO (second trainer) thinks she has him and can get him turned around for the better!
    Thanks for all the ideas! I'll keep everyone updated- don't get me wrong- I've had some WONDERFUL experiences with the Finest too! This is just one that was starting to really bother me and I couldn't figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Friskyflea View Post

Do make sure he is vetted thoroughly for funky stuff that causes 0 to 60 startling. On my list would be Lyme's (if it is endemic in your area), back or hock soreness. What part of the US are you in? Depending on where you are or, more importantly, where his forage is grown, trying magnesium supplementation may be worth a try. You can't test for the levels because most of it in the body is stored in bones, so trying 2-3 mos. of a Mg alone or with Vit B1 supplementation would constitute a therapeutic trial. I would look for the diMg malate form.

FF
    Thanks FF- yeah, he has been tested/hay has been tested, and I'm in NY. He was on a general supplement that came highly reccomended from Cornell. Also, when he was on stall rest, I tried a $300 for 20 day supply tranquilizing supplement from that same company, which did nothing! (I sprained my hand and tore a nerve in my finger when he was on the lunge line.) And then we switched to long lining.

He's just a little punk- that grew huge! hehe I don't want to cut out all grain, because- he loves it, eats his supplements w/it (hoof, vit E & Sel, general, and ulcer pills), and it seems if I give him a dirty look- he drops 20 lbs. He does have a personality- which I do like. If he has a hard day (we did plan on easy days/hard days, push him/back off etc), and he has a rough time of it- he will be PISSED in his stall later! He'll be RIPPING the hay out of his hay bag (oh yes- he prefers a hay bag too). If he's good, he begs for cookies. (Ironically- the day I was told to hop down and give up, he was begging for cookies while I was trying not to bawl.)
    Maybe the diMg malate would help?
    I hope/*think* the second trainer and rider are on the right track.

The first trainer may be very good, but I disagree with the "once bad, always bad" pronouncement. I could give you hundreds of reasons, but the best one?... the second trainer

Now, not seeing him when he spooks makes it hard to form opinions about what is going on... You describing as "not stopping to listen" (v. "not listening"), so to me that makes me think that you have picked up a subtle difference, and that fear is involved. Whether it starts with you or him or both, once you kick in that flight response, the brain does indeed stop listening and thinking and proceeds straight to reacting. Another hint - he does better with lots of contact. To me that means he is needing lots of reassurance - physical (for balance) or mental (for a feeling of safety).

I do not find the ground v. under saddle discrepancy puzzling at all. Under saddle he is "on the job" and the sensitive/overachiever types can worry themselves silly, getting rattled when they don't get it right the first time or when you ask them to do something new that they either don't understand well or that physically is difficult. My FLF pulls his tongue back then twists his lips or flaps them loudly when I am working on something he finds difficult (does this with or without a bit, so it is not a mouth issue - 1st thing I ruled out!) Happened with introduction to reinback, turn on the forehand, on the haunches, shoulder in and is now happening with haunches in When he would get his saddlecloth in a wad I would stop him, let him relax (I would take a deep breath) do something he knew and could do, then go back and ask again for the difficult (new) thing, never getting upset at him for any mistakes, but still asking for little steps in the right direction. As he got the muscular strength and coordination and/or confidence right, the facial pantomime subsided.

Totally understand how unnerving it must be for you to ride him thinking "will we have another episode today?" I think that allowing the 2nd trainer to continue working with your 17 hh pony, and perhaps letting several guinea pigs test the "contact" theory would be helpful. When you start believing that the progress is real, perhaps you can take a lesson with your 2nd trainer reproducing the previous successful set ups (long lines + contact). By then, he has had several positive training sessions, and you would be in a better state of trust, and both of you would be set up for success.

Keep us posted!

FF
    What a thoughtful post

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon.Ryan18 View Post
    I learned via my FB newsfeed that John Dain has a new home. Time to put him in 2011 horses sold!
    That's great news! His owner has had him on her farm for a very long time and so credit goes to her for that sale If I remember correctly she's way far east of Finger Lakes. Do you know her?

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    That's great news! His owner has had him on her farm for a very long time and so credit goes to her for that sale If I remember correctly she's way far east of Finger Lakes. Do you know her?
    Yeah he's down towards the city. I friended the girl on Facebook after she commented on our website and pictures of our FLF's. I don't really know her all too well but she has some nice looking horses and seems to do great with them . His new name is Stevie.

Here I'll post this too, as I was tagged in it on FB although its not me riding. Murphy (East End Boy), Holly (Holly Time), Oliver (Sunny Boy 'N Ben E), and Penny (Just Plan Partners) - Go class of 2011! (The little dust speckles always happen in the indoor...it's not snowing yet, don't worry! )

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon.Ryan18 View Post
    Yeah he's down towards the city. I friended the girl on Facebook after she commented on our website and pictures of our FLF's. I don't really know her all too well but she has some nice looking horses and seems to do great with them . His new name is Stevie.
    He looks great, doesn't he? Thank you for the information!

Here I'll post this too, as I was tagged in it on FB although its not me riding. Murphy (East End Boy), Holly (Holly Time), Oliver (Sunny Boy 'N Ben E), and Penny (Just Plan Partners) - Go class of 2011! (The little dust speckles always happen in the indoor...it's not snowing yet, don't worry! )
    Love it!!! I bet you guys have a blast!

Default horse listening

Quote Originally Posted by Callista17 View Post
    Thanks FF- yeah, he has been tested/hay has been tested, and I'm in NY. He was on a general supplement that came highly reccomended from Cornell. Also, when he was on stall rest, I tried a $300 for 20 day supply tranquilizing supplement from that same company, which did nothing! (I sprained my hand and tore a nerve in my finger when he was on the lunge line.) And then we switched to long lining.

He's just a little punk- that grew huge! hehe I don't want to cut out all grain, because- he loves it, eats his supplements w/it (hoof, vit E & Sel, general, and ulcer pills), and it seems if I give him a dirty look- he drops 20 lbs. He does have a personality- which I do like. If he has a hard day (we did plan on easy days/hard days, push him/back off etc), and he has a rough time of it- he will be PISSED in his stall later! He'll be RIPPING the hay out of his hay bag (oh yes- he prefers a hay bag too). If he's good, he begs for cookies. (Ironically- the day I was told to hop down and give up, he was begging for cookies while I was trying not to bawl.)
    Maybe the diMg malate would help?
    I hope/*think* the second trainer and rider are on the right track.
    In NY the hay typically has no problem getting enough Mg from the soil, unless the field is not managed properly and is exhausted - that wasn't a common occurrence at least in my experience. However, if he sweats or lathers a lot when he works, he may be loosing more Mg than average. Don't want this post to turn into a testimonial so I'll PM you some info.

Tell you what, that hay ripping may be him releasing tension after a tough lesson. If he is that sensitive (and I suspect he is given that when you were in need of comfort he was showing appeasement behaviors ie- "cookie begging" like he shows when he knows it is Ok to interact with his humans b/c they are happy about how he did) he'll still be worked up after the rider gets off. I'm not saying not to push him - we all have to go through the pains of learning hard stuff - but I think that if you look at what he is doing through a different lens, your body language will change in a way that will help. Is there any way that you can, after he has one of those hard lesson days, hand graze him (if safe) or groom him (or both)? That would say to him, "I know it was a tough day but, no big deal that you didn't get it right, you get to try again." Think of a time you had a rotten day and someone helped you chill after... how good that felt. Grooming him like he was at the track (tied in the stall) may help him relax because it was a pattern for him that is familiar. Horses form bonds to each other with grooming which is why I always brush a bit (beyond the saddle and girth area) before I get on, even if they are just cleaned by someone else.

What my guy is getting switched to is made by a local company up in the Ocala; they formulate for our FL soil.

http://www.seminolefeed.com/seminole...ssSafeLite.pdf

I would think TC has something similar to this as far as an approach to providing energy in the form of highly digestible fiber. That is better for hindgut health in horses that are sensitive to changed GI pH due to high simple carb feeds and you already said your guy was treated for ulcers... Just providing an antacid doesn't normalize gut flora populations so it's OK for short term but not for optimal maintenance.

I think if, handled patiently and tactfully, he'll turn out super. A great many outstanding performers went through high level emotional dorkiness as teenagers, and it sounds like he may be one of those.

You don't happen to remember who his groom was? If you have a name maybe the volunteers who know the backside could get some info about him from his groom. I bet he/she could give you outstanding insight.

FF

Congrats LP! Tally is by Take Me Out, and he seems to pass his good front end jumping style to his get - the same facial expression, too. I have a Take Me Out gelding, Take Me Flying and see lots of similarities. Another Take Me Out kid, Take Me Out John, stands stud in FL (last I checked) and he has quite a few offspring that are doing well as sports horses.

You chose well!

FF
    How dense am I to not have realized that you had a Take Me Out boy this whole time! Yikes! I do pay for blonde highlights after all....
    Thank you for the kind words and the information- it's great to hear about Take Me Out John.
    PS- I noticed Take Me Out is no longer standing at Milfer Farms. Did he pass away?

Is there any way that you can, after he has one of those hard lesson days, hand graze him (if safe) or groom him (or both)? That would say to him, "I know it was a tough day but, no big deal that you didn't get it right, you get to try again." Think of a time you had a rotten day and someone helped you chill after... how good that felt.

I think if, handled patiently and tactfully, he'll turn out super. A great many outstanding performers went through high level emotional dorkiness as teenagers, and it sounds like he may be one of those.

You don't happen to remember who his groom was? FF
    FF- Thank you for all of your posts- yes, I always brush/hose/graze him outside for awhile afterwards, and I untack in his stall usually because there are usually other horses moving in and out a little, and to let him calm down. If he had a longer day- I wrap his legs. I spend a lot of time with him grooming him and bonding. We don't push him hard all the time, we vary a lot with him.
    We think he'll actually be an awesome upper level horse- if he can realize his "job".
    I think some "not so pleasant" things have happened to him in the past. On paper- I think he had 7 different owners in a year, so....I think that's part of the problem too. I don't know who his groom was or if anyone in particular bond with him before now. It took a lot to get trust, and I think we are almost there...He seems to be realizing more that its not the track, and its the same people, same situation, his same pasture buddies...He is very predictable, and can be read pretty easily- if he doesnt go out with his friend that day before he's worked- he gets a little mad. When he goes to work he starts out a little mad like a little kid, but he works through it.
    The barn and second trainer (BO) is very excited about him. They are currently at a show, so he hasn't been ridden in the last few days, but he needs some time off too, and usually comes back again when he's in the long lines.
    Thanks- I'll keep everyone updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-Pony View Post
    PS- I noticed Take Me Out is no longer standing at Milfer Farms. Did he pass away?
    Dunno, but I emailed the owner and if I get a reply I'll let you know.

Here's a picture of Cuervo from last October. I apologize for the quality - it was taken from video, but you can see what I mean

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...rvoStad_4b.jpg

and another from this April, also from video

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ea/TMF/XC4.jpg

FF

Dunno, but I emailed the owner and if I get a reply I'll let you know.

Here's a picture of Cuervo from last October. I apologize for the quality - it was taken from video, but you can see what I mean

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...rvoStad_4b.jpg

and another from this April, also from video

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ea/TMF/XC4.jpg

FF
    Holy Cow!!! Time for you and Cuervo to graduate to Grand Prix!