The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 51 of 113 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2257

Are my two boys eligible for the FLF club, despite being 'second hand' FLF?

Gelding #1 came off FL, but I bought him 6 years later.

Gelding #2 raced in Kentucky before moving to FL where he failed miserably. Came off the track and I bought him several years (and owners) later.

Can my boys join the cool kids, or is this 'club' for the TB's directly off the track?

Welcome aboard, Big_Grey_hunter! We always love to hear about any of the Finest, no matter how long they have been off of the track.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Default Time Piece update

Timer has made a remarkable recovery from his muscle injuries -- much faster than the initial prognosis. He got a chiropractic adjustment yesterday -- ooh, ahh, what relief! The chiro said he thought everything he detected was residual from many years on the track, and no strong remaining evidence of the injury from 6 weeks ago. He has cleared Timer for going back into work -- and not a moment too soon since the poor horse was starting to go stir crazy on stall rest. During his daily hand walks he is being a good boy and walking strong and straight, but just dying to prance and show his stuff.
    Now if it would only stop pouring rain every day so the paddocks will stop being lakes and he can get back out with his buddies and re-start the process of just being a horse -- and tear into all that nice new green grass.
    Meanwhile I have heard from several people who had bad Parelli experiences with their OTTBs.

Welcome Big Grey Hunter! We'd love to hear about your finests (share pics too!)

BC - what a great update on Timer! Glad to hear he is recovering so quickly!!

I was able to finally buy a saddle that fits my mare perfectly (the other two saddles were bought for horses much wider than mare) and I finally have a much steadier leg, its so nice!

here are the last pictures with my old saddle

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4515170_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5246617_n.jpg

Default x-c schooling

Glad to hear good news on several finest - old and new. I just got back yesterday from a road trip to the Unionville, PA area. Getting any schooling in before the events up here is about impossible, Ries was struggling with jumping, and I needed a break from reality so I took my vacation and loaded horse and child and went to stay with a friend who is a trainer to get some coaching. Ries figured out jumping shortly before we left and so we got to introduce him to walls and more complicated bounces and courses. The trainer said if I had anymore horses that couldn't jump to please send them down. Ries was a rock star. Due to weather and schedule, Ries has not left my farm to be ridden anywhere else. After a long trip, he hopped off the trailer, got a short break and went to a strange arena with all sorts of jumps and distractions and went to work like a pro. We got to go schooling at Laurel Hill's schooling area (color me green in jealousy), and Ries really clicked in to the idea that he could be cautious, but had to jump what he was pointed at. We got to do ditches, banks, etc and he was super clever at it. Not bad for a horse that has just been doing small white jumps in a ring. When he was not jumping, we just sauntered around on a long rein and watched others. I will be getting entries ready this afternoon for a BN event in June. Yee Haw! Its been four years since I evented last.

http://gallery.me.com/ironvine#100025 - short video of Ries - be warned - we were playing around with the video function on the iphone for the first time so the first go around was missed and with the wind no one could hear each other.
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

wahoo! Ries is awesome (I love his name btw) he looks like a blast to ride, and also excited to hear about your first event!!

gsmangus Guest

Default Congrats to Finger Lakes Race Track

BIG CONGRATULATIONS to Finger Lakes Race Track on being only the 20th track in the whole USA to earn full accreditation by the NTRA Safety & Integrity Alliance. This involved a very lengthy process including tons of paperwork and track side visitations and inspections by the committee. It was noted that the committee was VERY impressed with the work done at Finger Lakes track to transition TBs to new careers.

See the entire article on www.bloodhorse.com. Search Finger Lakes Race Track at the top and the article should be the first. It was dated April 12th, 2011.

Good job and kudos to all the volunteers who help in placing FL horses into new homes and new lives.

Susan K. Mangus and our FLF Rosehanna
    Springledge QH Farm
    Hickory, KY

Default Wisher

Here is my finger lakes finest mare Wisher: http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/a...igg_x3/Wisher/

Her racing name was Americas Gal. She is the nicest horse I have ever had. I got her 5 years ago when she was a 6yr old, I was 11. She was very green and only had a summer of reschooling. We competed in the 3'6 jumpers and now have switched to eventing and love it! Currently we are doing Training, and plan to move up to Prelim later this spring with hopes to move up from there in the future.

I'm always checking the trainer listings, saving several ones on my favorites list just incase my mom will let me have another one:P. Thoroughbreds are the best!

Can I post about a horse not my own? One of my friends on my IHSA team has a ottb from the finger lakes track He's a cutie with and awesome jump that we bring to our shows!

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Can I post about a horse not my own? One of my friends on my IHSA team has a ottb from the finger lakes track He's a cutie with and awesome jump that we bring to our shows!
    Of course you can. We love, absolutely and positively LOVE to hear about any of the Finger Lake's Finest. Even if they have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. We know they gave their owners and admirers some wonderful rides and memories.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by ahuber14 View Post
    Here is my finger lakes finest mare Wisher: http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/a...igg_x3/Wisher/

Her racing name was Americas Gal. She is the nicest horse I have ever had. I got her 5 years ago when she was a 6yr old, I was 11. She was very green and only had a summer of reschooling. We competed in the 3'6 jumpers and now have switched to eventing and love it! Currently we are doing Training, and plan to move up to Prelim later this spring with hopes to move up from there in the future.

I'm always checking the trainer listings, saving several ones on my favorites list just incase my mom will let me have another one:P. Thoroughbreds are the best!
    OMG! She is lovely and then some. I hope you get down this way for some of our events. We have GVRDC (2-one in June and the other August), Stuart and GVH are both in July, and I think GVPC is in June or end of May-not sure, I'd have to check the Omnibus.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Reisling and Wisher are both WOWs! I am especially impressed with how Reis bravely and calmly encountered all those natural obstacles for the first time, like a pro. Rhymes with Orange, you have yourself a gem there!
    I noticed that today one of the horses that was listed last season that many of us drooled over but he never found a new home -- Five Blessings - ran today at FL in an allowance race and ran 5th. As he keeps running and bringing home checks, I worry that his owner/trainer will keep waffling on selling him to a good new home, until he gets hurt. I am still interested in this horse, if not for me, then for my BO, so I will keep following him.

Quote Originally Posted by ahuber14 View Post

Wow, she's beautiful! Looks like you two have a lot of fun together!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Default W-O-W

Rhymes W/O-

He looks like he has done XC in a previous lifetime.
    Loved your enthusiastic woo-hoos as well

BF

PS- will keep all toes and fingers crossed for Five Blessings

We saw Five Blessings in person last winter, he IS nice! He was always for sale as far as I can recall, it's just that his owner wanted a higher price for him. I'm sure if you called her up and made an reasonable offer, she might consider selling him. I think she was asking 2500.....
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

My FLF from before there was a rehoming program [1991], turned 26 on Saturday. He enjoyed some belly scratches, a good grooming and a piece of carrot cake and some attention from his favorite 7 year old boy.

Louise be sure, if you see Jimmy K, to let him know that ol' man Yousolong is alive, well, enjoying watching the mares, and is so good with my son whom he loves.

Default JUST SAY NO!

Well, the Peep Adventure of 2011 was a complete flop.
    Neither of my TBs went for them; on the contrary, they were highly offended by the sticky, sugary goo. I, on the other hand, laughed so hard I couldn't breathe so the number of pictures is limited but...

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/r...enture%202011/

FF

roanokejim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    Hey Jannah,

Would you like to post pictures of The Jolly for everyone to see? As I've stated so many times, I'm delighted that you have her!
    I agree with you. I think that it is the best part of Jannah to have her. Congrats.

Ugh. My mare had a foal last Thursday, so poor Wilson has been very jealous that this little thing is getting so much attention and stealing his mares from him. He spent several days running around like a moron outside in this miserable wet weather and managed to give himself an abscess. It got dug out today, talk about a blood bath! It was nasty, I held him and just looked away. Thankfully, a local feed store had a really big Davis medicine boot so he doesn't rip off the bandaging and grind dirt into it.

Lol, animals totally do the "He's not the baby, I'M the baby!" thing. Sounds like he punished himself, though. Hope his abscess heals up.