The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse pulls just a tad past good distance Exercises to help?

My horse is very good at his job of packing an older adult ammy around. However, sometimes he goes just a bit past what I would consider the perfect take off point. Now that our show season is over, I'd work to work on those little things, and would like suggestions on exercises to use outside of lessons so we have some variety. He goes in a happy mouth snaffle, which is the same bit I use for shows. It's also the only bit I own. Generally, I prefer to improve my riding over making an equipment change, but suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

bump i nwanna know too!!!
    Author of COTH article "The Other Side of Aaron Vale"

Your best bet here is to focus on your riding. If he's taking you past the deep one, make sure you have the horse very light before your turn the corner, and make sure that your attempt to steady is not accompanied by a pushing seat. If he's overreacting to the moveup, then you have to be very, very careful not to override your distance. He probably sees it too, and just needs you to suggest it to him, rather than tell him to move up.
    If the horse were not, as you described him, a ammy packer, you would want to sharpen him up and back him off the jumps. That's rarely a good idea in this case though, because once you back off a packer they tend not to pack.

When he is pulling, the last stride, several strides out?

pony4me is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

We establish a nice steady rhythm but the last stride is maybe six inches longer than the others. As I said, it's just a tad, but we are at the point where we are working on things that make the difference between a blue ribbon, and some other color. Today in our lesson, we had to ride a course of all singles, all over the ring, so of course we had to ride it off our eye. That made me think more about my rhythm, and make small changes to get to the correct spot for all of the fences.

Recent photo (taken on a very good day). Sorry to have to use FB, but I am having trouble posting photos otherwise.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...3&id=610712950

He needs to wait a bit. I would work on exercises that have him halt after the fence, after doing this a few times, then ask him to halt in front of the fence. After doing this several times, then use a haft halt three strides out and the distance should be there. He will listen to your half halt if he feels that you may ask him to halt. Don't ALWAYS halt but do it occasionally until he is listening to your seat