The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GMC Sierra 1500 - UPDATE - got the Sierra!

Last truck question, I promise I've ruled out diesel BTW.

Anyone feedback on the GMC Sierra? It is now in my top 3 (Ram, Tundra and GMC). I loved, loved the features (onstar, dual climate, drops to 4 cyl. on highway to save gas, tow features, can switch to manual "drive") and I could see out of it better than the other trucks. For ride, I would rate it as good as Ram or just slightly under. But for the price, you seem to get MANY more features like rear back up warning. My biggest concern is NO side airbags. This is big with me for my safety and my kids who will be in the truck alot with me.

Would love any feedback. Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback on truck shopping - it's overwhelming to me - I haven't bought a vehicle in over 7 yrs!!
    Last edited by tpup; Nov. 29, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

I have a 1500 Sierra. I love it. I have had the same model but Silverado in the past. Its a pig on gas. I also have an electrical issue (all my steering wheel control lites are shot) the mechanic said they burnt out. I had a ball joint destroyed-my mechanic said that it was the equivelant of hitting a HUGE pot hole, which I did not do.

I like the lack of blind spots, the dual xcab doors, its tows well (2 horse BP steel, with 1 14 hand chunky pony, one 17 hand WB), I didnt even know the trailer was there.

I would get another one. Mine is a lease, and I'm switching to either an F150 crew cab or an Escalade.

Thanks Littleblackmorgan - so you mean you wouldn't get another one?? Or you would? I ask because you're switching to a different truck. I'm glad to hear the feedback on the towing. thanks!

I have a 2500 Sierra and love it. I bought it in 2005 as a 2004 model. Never had a problem with anything except the tail lights will pop loose. Duct tape fixed that :-) Great truck and great to tow with!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

I have a 2500 Silverado (same difference ) and absolutely love it. Too many friends with too many issues with the other brands.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

tpup, I would definitely get another, but probably a crew cab or the 2500 instead...I dont get a say in what I drive, its a company truck...we had all GMC's and Chevy's but their finance rates for corperate shot up and we've started slowly to get Ford's. Upper management all drive Caddy's...though I feel a little funny pulling into a show with an Escalade with my rinky dink old horse trailer (and my rinky dink pony)

Hi tpup,
    I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 Heavy Duty extended cab. It has the vortec max engine in it which means nothing to me but impresses the heck out of men at gas stations and horseshows that do seem to be very excited to look at it!

We pull a 2H GN with a dressing room, 2 large warmbloods and all of our gear and have had no issues at all. We have had to make sudden stops and it has held the road very well. It is also our everyday vehicle and I don't find that it is that bad on gas. When we hauled to competitions this summer fully loaded we figured about $25.00 per hour. I don't know - is that bad?

Two weeks ago we went to the dealership and ordered the identical truck in a 2010 model so yes we love our Chev. Good luck truck shopping - it is almost as stressful as saddle shopping!!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I have a 2002 2500HD GMC Sierra, and I love it. If and when I do replace it, it will be with another GMC.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Thanks for all your help Sierra/Silverado owners. Well after MANY test drives between the Ram and Sierra, and after taking both trucks home for a few hours yesterday to make my final decision, we bought the Sierra 1500 SLT. I couldn't be happier with my decision!! It's interesting....the Ram was the front runner until I took it home, saw it in my driveway, had hubby drive it. I couldn't get past the fact that it just didn't seem to fit me, or be proportionate to me. I know that sounds strange but it seems monstrous - I had to really reach to strap my kids into their car seats - my son will be out of his soon - he's 7, but still - doing that every day when they used to be able to climb in on their own in the van.....I also felt I had poor visibility out of it. I lucked out with the Sierra in that they had an 09 on the lot absolutely loaded and ready to go with the integrated brake controller, rear back up camera, side step rails. When I drive the Sierra, it feels like it fits me, my size - everything is within my reach and it just happened to be a very dark blue with tan interior which I absolutely love. I also LOVE the OnStar - what a neat feature.

The Ram had a bit more punch in the gas pedal but comfort came first as this is my family vehicle first. We're going to get the bed liner done (Linnux???) and eventually I'll get a tonneau cover for it, but I am just THRILLED to see it sitting in the driveway. Hubby's Highlander looks small next to it I'll be driving it to the barn for the first time today and now shopping for a used trailer.

Thanks everyone!!

I have the rhino liner in mine, I love it. And the tonneau cover. Do yourself a favor and get the cloth cover. I have had the flat fiberglass one with hydrolic (sp) shock lifts...I hated it. It looked good, but was a PIA to deal with and limited what you could put in height wise...

Good choice, you will love it. Its not too high, good visibility and YEP everything is in reach. I think of Dodge trucks as pick ups for people who dont NEED pick ups, but like the look. They arent very tough, and my hubby had issues with his ram.

A friend of mine has the 2500 HD, and he had to rescue another friend-who was stuck in the mud with his Ford F150 and trailer! The Chevy pulled the truck AND trailer out.

I have a 2002 Sierra 1500, and it has been a wonderful truck. I'm probably jinxing myself now for saying this, but it has been very reliable, no issues, nothing other than standard maintenance. I have friends with Fords who are constantly in and out of the repair shop...and my GMC just keeps on plugging along.

Almost 170,000 miles, most of them hauling one horse, occasionally two. You do feel it going up the mountains, but sacrificing some power for daily mpg is a necessary trade-off. It's still enough to haul one horse and an aluminum bp.

It's a very comfortable truck to drive and travel in. The farm truck is a 2005 Ram 2500: it's a dream to haul, but it's like a tank for everyday driving.

I hope your GMC experience is as good as mine. I know my half-ton is starting to feel its age but I'm not ready to give it up just yet!
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~