The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does your barn manager/rehab manager make?

Going to be hiring a barn manager in the next year and I need to research salaries. Our manager will be responsible for overseeing and aligning care with head trainer and communicating to staff. Will also manage the rehabilitation schedules of no more than 5 boarders but several ship-ins as outlined by vet.
    If perks are included how much would they be worth if included in salary? example: board on horse = $500/month
    Do you give any benefits or paid time off? How do you handle sick days, holidays? I'm looking to hire someone who will treat this like a career and not a job so I want to make sure that the compensation will bring me in the best candidates.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

From my experiences this type of position pays $20-$40k a year, and housing and 2 weeks a year paid vacation are the most common benefits. If you can not provide housing expect to provide a higher salary based on what rental housing costs are in your area. Health insurance is definatly a draw if you can do it.

As an employee accomodations for my own personal horse have never been a draw, I don't own my own horse, but for other people that might be different and I would think that if you were to offer that you would need to adjust the salary and pay more to the person bringing no personal horses. When I have been employed as a barn manager I have never allowed employees to bring their own personal horses to a job, IMO it is too much a potential source of drama (employee spends more time with their horse than doing their job, employee gets behind on vet/farrier bills, employee raises havoc when they quit/get fired and it is time for their horse to leave).

I am a person who never asks for a sick day as an employee unless I am genuinely so sick that I can not work (as in I have taken 1 partial sick day in the last 2 years, I cleaned stalls and then went back to bed). So I have always struggled with how to handle sick days as a barn manager as I tend to leave it to being something that I repsect other people enough to trust that they will be honest with me and for the most part that gets me shot in the foot I guess I have never dealt with having X number of sick days, but when I have been in charge of employees who are clearly abusing this they get the boot asap. I have always gotten Christmas off and usually have either gotten off or only worked a part day for Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day.

equistaff.com has a salary survey. It's pretty informative. Basically there is a HUGE variation in salary. I have made anywhere from $200-400 per week, or $14/hr, with housing, and board for my horse. Never had official "sick days" but did have unpaid vacation..
    Some employers will offer cars, too. It just depends.
    The pay is not great, but when you include housing, and board, it's not bad.
    Also, if the horses on your farm are all on the same vacc/deworm program and such, if you are going to offer "board" to an employee make sure you clarify what that is going to cover. One place paid for my deworming and vaccinations, nothing else. Another I had to pay for feed, and everything else.
    It definitely helps if you pay more- and treat your employees fairly. You have more chance of your barn manager sticking around.

bump
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

I made $700 a week plus housing as a show barn manager, with extra money on the road. I would have asked for a raise at some point if I'd planned on making a career out of it. My job didn't give health insurance but that would be a huge perk if you can offer it.

There was no official sick day/vacation policy, but I got thanksgiving/xmas/new years off, only took sick days I absolutely needed, and was paid for whatever vacation days I took (probably ended up being about 2 weeks a year, spaced out). If I'd abused the privilege I'm sure things would have changed though.

I make about 30k a year, when you add up my housing, board for my horse (and training), and some other cushy benefits. My paycheck isn't huge, but I get a lot of stuff that I would probably pay for one way or the other, anyway. I also have health insurance. I don't get paid sick days but since I don't get paid hourly (I'd be a very rich woman if I did! ), it doesn't matter to me (and the boss is very good about sending me home or making me stay home if I'm really ill). I probably get two weeks vacation, all told, but we don't keep track. I do work holidays, but not necessarily every one, every year (not that big a deal to me). I have a lot of perks that I would not expect to get anywhere else (my boss has sent me on a couple of decent vacations), but that's because my boss loves me, wants to keep me around, and wants to see me stay in the business for a long time...so he tries hard to prevent major burnout....does a good job. I've been working for him for over 7 years and can see no end in the foreseeable future.

So if I offer:
    *housing
    *one week paid vacation
    *2 days off at Christmas, 2 days at Thanksgiving
    *salary of $30,000 starting with 5% raise each year

this ridiculous?

The raise part sounds very generous. I have worked for the same employer up to 5 years without ever getting any raise.

Where do I apply,
    I mean seriously...

Doing the math, at $500 a month board-you have to have a minimum of 5ish horses just to pay this persons salary.

Also,
    What kind of housing are we talking about?

yeah, where do I apply!
    That sounds very generous. What kind of housing? I am assuming you have done a budget to figure out that you have enough income to support that.

Don't forget to check into the legal labor requirements for your state. In some states for example to pay salary (vs hourly) there are particular requirements you have to fill (double the minimum wage, overseeing other employees, etc). I would agree that finding someone that does not want to board their horse with you is better, but there are no absolutes. If you find a really great person that wants to bring their horse, you should negotiate that. But as some have already mentioned, it can present some issues. I also think that you need to give your BM at least one true, full day off per week. That might mean having to hire someone to come in on that off day if you don't want to do it yourself, so keep that in mind as well.

It sounds like you have a pretty good starting point so far. Don't underestimate the value of a kind, honest, reliable BM. They are hard to find and are worth their weight in gold. Horse folks are notoriously cheap when it comes to their help, even though it is FAR from unskilled labor. So good for you for researching this first.

Thanks for the advice: got some interviewing starting today. If I don't get the people I want then I'll be expanding the search to equistaff I suppose.

Where are you located?

I was making $700/week, with living, stall for one horse, health insurance, 2 weeks off and on holidays (New Years, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas) I just did the basics (feed, stalls, T/O). We never had more than 10 horses, mixture of rehabbers, retirees, an occasional sale horse and a couple boarders. I was the only worker in the barn.

Equino that sounds about right with what i'm thinking. You're making 33600 a year + stall if owner provides feed (300*12= 3600) + health insurance (150*12= 1800) + apartment (500*12= 6000). Salary and benefits for your job Equino were $45000.
    At the moment we have 20 horses and when the rehab addition is finished we will have 27 stalls. We're an AA show barn in a very horse dense area. Manager will oversee 4 workers and work with head trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by alteringwego View Post
    Thanks for the advice: got some interviewing starting today. If I don't get the people I want then I'll be expanding the search to equistaff I suppose.
    IMO yardandgroom is a better employment site than equistaff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    Horse folks are notoriously cheap when it comes to their help, even though it is FAR from unskilled labor. So good for you for researching this first.
    So true... I worked briefly at one barn that was paying $7.00 an hour - laughable. Another one - $8.00.

It is under-appreciated a$$ busting work, which many people don't seem to realize.

By under-appreciated, I mean when someone is there on every-single-day, never late, never calls out sick and yet asking for a raise requires major negotiations and groveling..

Kudos to the OP for offering a decent livable salary.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

$150/ month for decent health insurance? Wow, that would be nice if I could get it - seems low esp. for a professional working with horses. Did you get a provider quote for that rate?

yes, got a quote from Blue Cross Blue Shield. But that's assuming that I'm insuring a healthy, 20 something year old female without maternity coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    So true... I worked briefly at one barn that was paying $7.00 an hour - laughable. Another one - $8.00.

It is under-appreciated a$$ busting work, which many people don't seem to realize.

By under-appreciated, I mean when someone is there on every-single-day, never late, never calls out sick and yet asking for a raise requires major negotiations and groveling..

Kudos to the OP for offering a decent livable salary.
    Yes absolutely!

What I've never understood - is most of the time, horses are either a) pets and part of your *family*, or alternatively, b) worth a lot of money. Why would you entrust just anyone to them and then pay them not even a reasonable living wage? I do. not. get. it!