The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up Eventing in Namibia!

Earlier this month, a group of equestrians in Swakopmund, Namibia got together for their second annual Eventing Tournament.

A full report from die Republikein is here. Some backstory -- how the organizers brought in an FEI CD/TD from South Africa, that a pair of Germans built the course while on holiday, that the field of 21 included 5 'old-timers', that there'd be cold beer from the local brewery -- is here.

And I found the photographer's site! If you go to this page and scroll down to the end of the list of events, you'll see 'Sphinxblick 10 October' (for dressage and XC) and 'Sphinxblick 11 October' (SJ and awards).

How nice to know the grassroots are alive in well in the Namibian desert.

SO cool! Thanks for sharing - really really neat to see
    And that desert backdrop is just stunning.
    -Jessica

I think that is the country where my BO's cousins live there 6 months out of the year! And her 2 young cousins came to visit at our barn earlier this year and rode some of KLC's horses. They take riding lessons from a German instructor who lives there.

That is so cool! A lot of the horses look like Arabs or Arab x's as well!

Very cool!

We were there last summer. It was really neat seeing the same jumps there as in Canada. Below is a pic of an arena we passed.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...a&id=705386256

They must have been having a big competition last year as well because we saw a lot of horse trailers on the road.

Good for them!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    A full report from die Republikein is here.
    JER, where do you get this stuff?! I'd love to see the list of websites that you regularly read--seriously, African newspapers?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Earlier this month, a group of equestrians in Swakopmund, Namibia got together for their second annual Eventing Tournament.

<snip>

How nice to know the grassroots are alive in well in the Namibian desert.
    How great! I just got back from Botswana (no riding, unless you count the Land Rover), and want to go again. On horseback. (Anybody got any clues on riding safaris?) Now if I go to Namibia, I can look for horse trials, as well as cheetah.
    <<Reste sur le cheval.>>

Quote Originally Posted by EmmyTheHemi View Post
    How great! I just got back from Botswana (no riding, unless you count the Land Rover), and want to go again. On horseback. (Anybody got any clues on riding safaris?) Now if I go to Namibia, I can look for horse trials, as well as cheetah.
    http://www.okavangohorse.com/
    This looks like the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I'm in the process of convincing my parents that this it the PERFECT graduation gift

The hosts of the eventing competition have run a guest farm and do riding tours. I wonder if this includes the XC course.

I've ridden in east Africa (Kenya/Tanzania). It's quite an experience to canter amid (real) giraffes. The Arusha area has a decent polo community; Kenya has few eventing competitions and Pony Club.

(The Germans brought Hannoverians and Trakehners to southern Africa for the Boer War -- their descendants are still there.)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Troispony View Post
    Perfect, thank you! Now to save some more pennies and do some convincing of the spousal unit. It's really not his cup of tea.
    <<Reste sur le cheval.>>

WoW! Those pictures are amazing! I want to buy one and put it up in my house