The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It's NaNoWriMo Time Again! What Is Your Horse Related Plot?

Okay, you don't really have to share your plot (let's face it, someone is going to steal it if you do, and that someone just might be moi ).

But who is writing?! Who wants to be on my buddy list?!? And if you do want to share your (horse related!) plot, the thread may remain open.

Edited for those not in the know: www.NaNoWriMo.org

Edited to add: I'm reynardridge, if you want to buddy with me.
    Last edited by Reynard Ridge; Oct. 15, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

I'm writing (and I'm Analise over there too) and I think I'm just going to fix up and finish my nanovel from last year. Which does involve horses, since my MC works in a barn part time.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

NaNoWriMo class of '03 checking in! Did it once and never again (I didn't like the way the quality of my writing suffered in pursuit of quantity; I work best when I revise obsessively going along) but it was fun. I'll head the cheerleader squad for all of you!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I only write non-fiction, but I do have a new book in the works...due to the publisher on December 31! I am excited but also working like crazy!!

Good luck to all you novelists! Keep going!
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," to be released in the summer of '14

Thanks for posting this, RR. I've been working on a novel for YEARS now and maybe this will entice me to speed up the process and actually finish it. It's not actually horse-centered, but it does have a horse in it.

I'm BuddyRoo over there....
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've been thinking about doing it this year. I have a friend who always tells me I should, and I've kind of quit writing very often over the past six months or so because I've been so busy with work...it might just be the kick in the pants I need to get in the habit again. Now I just need a good horsey plot...I should probably start thinking about that.

Speaking of writing RR.....shouldn't you be over in blogville?? I'm sitting over there impatiently waiting for the next installment...

I'm considering... My last 2-3 attempts were thwarted by the demands of being a working student. (Okay, one year was partially laziness too.) If only I had been able to write as much as I mucked, hauled, heaved, dragged, and swept, I would have hit 50,000 the first day!

I haven't tried a horse-centric Nano but maybe that's what I need to do to actually get it done!
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    They're not just for racing!
    nowthatsatrot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RNB View Post
    Speaking of writing RR.....shouldn't you be over in blogville?? I'm sitting over there impatiently waiting for the next installment...
    What she said!!!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I'm in.

(I'm Kookicat over there too).

My main idea isn't horse related, but once I finish the story and hit my goal (100k), I'm thinking about writing a few horsey short stories. Depends how well my wrists hold up, really

I would like to write a series based on my grand old mare, Lilly, who died in Feb. I'm not sure if I can do it this year, or if I'd just upset myself by trying it. We'll see.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I had one mapped out that involved horses...

Short version is...I would call it "40 years" and it would be told from the POV of several different critters and people. The main POV being that of her dog, who at his age in dog years is 40 and he's telling everything he knows about his time with her, how she raised all these foster kids, took in foster horses, blah blah...but the tie in is that she's 40 and dying. So it's his 40 years and her 40 years.

So the dog, the horses, and the kids this woman had fostered are all kind of coming together to help teach the new lady taking over (an attorney who had been hired in a land dispute and then befriended the woman) how it all works.

Basically, everyone's coming back to the "nest" to carry the torch and is telling HER life story through their interactions with her, piece by piece.

But then I decided it was probably too hoaky and probably too much. I had spent a lot of time mapping it all out and it made sense to ME, but not sure it would be that interesting to anyone else.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think I'd like to write something.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I've only ever written non-fiction, though I admire fiction writers. I always feel like it's hokey when I try. When I was a teen my cousin and I wrote endless really bad horse-themed bodice rippers. Until our mothers found them. I think they were a bit shocked. LOL

Here's a productivity tool that's apparently useful, but also hilarious: http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html

I'm participating for the first time! I'm very excited. My novel is based around a bunch of rich snotty juniors. Think Gossip Girl meets HorsePower: Road to the Maclay. It's going to be deliciously terrible. I'm Jhensley on there.
    Last edited by SaturdayNightLive; Oct. 15, 2009 at 06:28 PM.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Mine is very slightly horsey related

I am Bexhatesyou on there.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I think I'd like to write something.
    Lex, the American Jilly Cooper. I can totally see this.

Quote Originally Posted by RNB View Post

Sorry, RMB and CDED, I know, we're right on the edge of the Gobi desert! The photos are beyond overwhelming, though, which is what is taking so long. We had three cameras, so sorting through it all is much harder than shivering by a dung stove in 0C degree desert nights.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Not doing NanoWriMo...really bad timing for me as November = essays followed nearly straight away by exams and lots of hillwalking stuff in between. I love writing my own (non coursework related!) stuff though, and I keep starting things, giving them up for awhile, going back to them...etc etc.

The one at the moment is about 2 girls (one living in Scotland, one in Virginia...haha my life?) who go on an exchange program in High School and change places for a semester. The Scottish girl has a horse, the Virginia girl used to ride but now plays tennis. We'll see about this one. It's currently only 5,800 words though.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

But then I decided it was probably too hoaky and probably too much. I had spent a lot of time mapping it all out and it made sense to ME, but not sure it would be that interesting to anyone else.
    It is hoaky to someone. But there are 5 billion people in the world. One person's hoaky is another persons favorite novel. My recommendation would be to write some part of it and send it to a few people who would be the sort to like it, who would give you an honest opinion.