Willie (penile amputation/laminitis) post-storm update on last page!
We just brought my 19 year old Arabian home after a partial penile amputation made necessary because of SCC. We feel that he received excellent treatment, but I am just wondering if anyone has been through this before and has any words of wisdom for us. He has swelling about the size of a good-sized grapefruit. The problem seems to be that the liquids, etc want to get to the lowest place, and if he is "out" then the liquids gather there and make the swelling worse. The trailer ride of about an hour and a half did not seem to bother him. We immmediately hosed him, and I was able to get him to withdraw as much as he can. He has no fever and is not on antibiotics. We are to give him bute and a steroid to reduce the swelling, and hose him a couple times a day. The vet also thought that home surroundings and a bit of turnout will be beneficial, so we are following that. My thoughts are to hose him every couple hours, and to get him to retract as much as he can. God bless him, he is still the sweet, sane, lovable little guy that he was before enduring this ordeal. So if anyone has anything to share, jingles would also be appreciated!!, please do.
Last edited by eventgroupie2; Jul. 6, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Jingles Jingles Jingles - Never have dealt with this - but as with any swelling - gravity pulls it down - cold hosing and time ---good news that there is no fever. Exercise & turn-out and time should help heal him up. Good Luck !
Years ago I had a young gelding that tried to breed the wrong mare and she let him have it. His penis ended up swelling to the size of a loaf of bread. I ended up putting his private in a plastic bag and then another bag of ice over that and took some baling twine and tied it up around his waist. When the vet came he approved of my treatment and had me lube it, so the gelding could draw it back up, he was also put on bute,,his hematoma did burst, but I kept putting bag balm on it, He healed up just fine.
Last edited by GoshenNY; Aug. 8, 2009 at 12:32 AM.
Sorry, can't help any with your question, other than standard hosing as much as possible and movement.
We have our 29 year old right now with SCC also and would like to know how your horse does, if the amputation impacts his quality of life.
If it doesn't, we may have to go there eventually with our old horse, but won't do it if he is not going to be happy afterwards, but in pain or impaired seriously.
May be moot question, because at his advanced age, he may have other tumors somewhere else that makes fighting this one useless eventually.
Making a sling of sorts (if your horse will tolerate it) may help reduce the swelling, and cold hosing is a good idea too. If you can get a sling outfitted, you can also put bags of ice in it -- that may help as well. Otherwise, time.
Thanks for all the good wishes and suggestions. Willie's appetite seems ok, although he is not cleaning up his hay like he usually does. I have cold hosed him three times so far today, and turned him out early this morning for a couple hours. The only small pasture we have does not get any shade during the day, so I will put him out again tonight after the sun goes down, after another hosing and his meds. The swelling does not look any better, but at least it doesn't appear to be worse than it was!! He did lie down in his stall overnight. I tried hand walking him just a few minutes ago, but the flies are awful, and I certainly don't want to use fly spray on him! So I just put him back into his stall and he is dozing in front of the fans.
Altituderider's Cody has penile cancer but has not had to have the amputation. You might PM her for some advice as she has to apply the topical cancer treatment/salve.
Call you vet! You paid good $$$ for the operation and treatment and should get advice over the phone without charge. I'd think that Banamine might help, but I'd call my vet first to make sure that would be the drug to use. Did your horse come home with instructions for cold hosing and drug use? If not, call the vet. I call whenever I need help and do not get charged for phone calls. We pay a lot of $ to get treatments, the follow up proticol should be included in the charge.
Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Aug. 11, 2009 at 05:41 PM.
Willie just came from from the hospital yesterday. We have meds from the vet, and instructions for turn-out and cold hosing. I have been told to call my vet if anything gets worse, and it hasn't. (I just don't see much improvement yet.) The surgeon is scheduled to call us Monday morning if we haven't had to call him. He is very supportive and "there for us". I hope I didn't give the impression that we were not satisfied with the surgeon - nothing could be farther from the truth. I was just wanting to "talk" with horse friends who have gone through something similar and get their take on what they did, and what I can expect.
Not really much to report. The penis swelling may be down a little, but now he has two new swollen areas on his belly in front of his sheath. The surgeon had told us that probably would occur, so we are not overly concerned. We have a scheduled phone conference with him in the morning, so will be sure to mention it then, just to make sure this is normal and what he expected. His temperature was normal again this morning, and he continues to eat his grain and grass with great gusto. The hay, not so much- just picks at it. He had his meds this morning, and we cold hosed him four times today so far. He had turnout for about 3 hours this morning, and we will put him back out after evening meds and another hosing when it cools down a bit and the sun goes down, so fewer bugs.
Thanks to all who are following his progress. Hope I have some improvement to report tomorrow!
We had to rush Willie back to the clinic last night. His temp went up to 101 and he was having trouble urinating. I called my local vet (also a member of the surgical practice) and she got here about 9:00- recommended taking him back to the clinic as she could not pass a catheter to revieve pressure on his extended bladder. We were afraid the bladder would rupture on the hour and a half trip, but it didn't. Evidently, all the swelling was caused by enormous blood seepage that formed clots and cut off his uretha, evidently some of the sutures had pulled through. Once the bleeding stopped, and he was stable, we came home about 3am. The vet just called and they operated on hiim again this morning for four hours, but we are far from out of the woods. The skin just doesn''t seem to be able to hold the sutures, and he can't stand another round of blood loss. He is back in his stall, but the prognosis is very guarded at best. So if ever there was a time for COTH jingles, this is it for us. We will appreciate each and every one of them in hopes of getting my beloved Willie back home with me.
My boy has SCC in the penis as well, luckily it wasn't bad enough to do the surgery and we treat it with chemo cream. However, I did get a fair amount of positive feedback when I was researching this so I hope things turn around quickly.
That all sounds very scary...jingling and sending ((hugs))!
Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
I miss you both very much!