The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone's horse get proud when they decide something's not scary?

I had to laugh yesterday at Rosie. She's got a little bit of a spook in her, mostly at loud noises, but all in all she's pretty brave. If she sees something weird she usually runs over to get a closer look at it.

Anyway, yesterday as I was leading her out of her stall, her eyes bugged out at the big shovel I had knocked over earlier and neglected to pick up. She kept right on walking but really gave it the googly eyeball complete with neck arch and snort. So I stopped, let her check it out and sniff it so she could see it wasn't scary.

After a few snorty puffs, she looked at me and I swear, if she was capable of smiling and talking, she would have gotten a big dopey grin on her face and said, "That's a SHOVEL!!" Then she strutted out to the pasture so proud of herself that she was soooo smart.

This morning when coming in, I still hadn't picked it up, and she gave it a quick glance and then puffed up again, like, "Heh heh heh. Shovel." Then she nickered at another horse, no doubt saying, "Shovel! SHOVELLLL!" She's speshul, but at least she's funny.

What does your horse do when it figures out something's not scary? Are they embarrassed? Do they pretend they never spooked in the first place? Or do they get impressed with themselves because they were smart enough to figure it out?

An arab mare I am training was HORRIFIED to step off a curb to cross a road to go home on her first trail ride. She was so scared that she wouldn't even follow Trickster with the threat of being left alone. After about 15 minuets of walking up and down it, staring at it, pawing at it and then finaly S L O W L Y stepping down, she got over it Dropped her head, put herself into a frame and trotted off across the dirt road, up over the next curb likel she's done it for years and up the hill. She was just so proud of herself and had to parade herself around....she kind of reminds me of "Stuart" from Madd TV "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!"

I just love those reactions!!
    “Four things greater than all things are, - Women and Horses and Power and War”

Quote Originally Posted by wingedmare View Post
    ...she kind of reminds me of "Stuart" from Madd TV "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!"

Speaking of Arabs, you reminded me of a story.

Once upon a time, we had an Arab that was terrified of trailers, he had fallen in one and gotten hurt. So my dad had gone to a NH clinic about trailer loading (before that was cool and wasn't called NH yet) and had come home to work on the horse. Horse was lathered up, puffing, snorting, having a meltdown for about 2 hours. He wanted to get in the trailer but was scared of the ramp. Finally, just like your horse, he took a deep breath, decided he could do this, and leapt up in the air with all 4 feet at once, turned completely sideways, and landed on the ramp. He then proceeded to stomp the everliving daylights out of that ramp. For like 3 minutes. My dad is cracking up, but figured the horse had a plan, so he just watched him. After a few minutes, horse jumped off the ramp, gave it a good snort, as if to say, "There. I killed it." And then he dropped his head, his ears flopped, the tail went down and he strolled right on to the trailer just as calm as you please, like, "Well, we don't have to worry about that thing anymore. You're WEL-COME."

He self-loaded from that day on.

NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!! I nearly rolled out of bed reading that!
    “Four things greater than all things are, - Women and Horses and Power and War”

these stories are so funny! love the one about the horse killing the trailer ramp LOL!

i leased a TB mare for a summer who was very wary about any new jumps she hadn't been over before. until she actually jumped them and lived, she was SURE THEY WOULD EAT HER. as the summer progressed, we worked up from poles on the ground to crossrails to 2'3" jumper-type courses. then the day came where dear ms. trainer introduced the (dun dun DUNNNN!) Really Scary Stone Wall Fence.

we approached at a good strong canter, ms. mare sucked back, i got in the back seat and egged her on, and we flew over the stone wall at the first try! mare then took herself for a victory gallop all over the arena, shaking her silly little mare head with pride. i could almost hear her saying "WOOHOOOO I DID IT!!!! LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!"

Little Rye was avoiding the soccer ball I have in the paddock for them to play with. He would walk all the way around the perimeter to avoid it Last night we were kicking the ball around for them and he was cowering until it hit him in the front legs.

He walked over to it and STOMPED it. SO FUNNY to see this little horse, all 100 or so pounds of him stomp and kick that ball. then he turns around like "hrumpf! I showed THAT ball didn't I!"

I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.