The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Euth tomorrow..grateful for today..Updated post #49

It's time to let Ready go. We have done all we can for his ringbone and he continues to be lame even on the good days he is not sound. He looks fantastic but is in daily pain and nothing has helped to relieve that.

Today I rode him for the first time since late January and he let me know how much he hurt but he understood I needed to be on his back one more time. He proudly carried me out to our back pasture with my leased TB calling to him, unsure why I was on him...Playboy had never seen me on Ready's back so he came over to join us. Ready squealed & struck out at Playboy telling him NO, this is MY time with my mommy. Playboy tried to follow and Ready kicked out, telling him again, I MEAN IT, it's just me & her right now so he left us alone.

On a free rein, Ready took me to the exact area where he will be buried under 3 oak trees. He then went over to "his" oak (one for each horse that will end up back there) and stayed there for almost 10 minutes, touching the tree, looking at me and looking at his buddies grazing while I sobbed on his back and hugged him with all my might. It was an incredible experience as his eye softened and I told him he would be free of his pain. I didn't stay on his back long, I just needed a little time. I then bathed him and gave him a million treats while he licked me all over.

Planning a horses death like this has been overwhelming and surreal. Time has stopped, I don't know where I am or what I'm doing half the time. I go from numb to sobbing to guilty to relief to grief to joy in the support that surrounds me and continues to grow. Accepting that it is his time to cross, making the calls and now the countdown of hours.

It's been hard to wait since scheduling with the vet but I am so thankful for every extra hour, minute & day that I got with him and am grateful for the nearly three short years that he has been in my life...even with all the struggles he has had physically.

I pray his passing is quiet and peaceful. I will say my good-bye and then turn him over to my brave friends and supportive vet, I just can't be there to hold his head, I am saving that for when it's time for Cody, my boy of 17 years.

I am beyond grateful for another COTH'er who helped me get to this point with one of the most kind and understanding emails I have ever received. Sometimes you feel like the only one who has ever had to do this.

Please be thinking of us tomorrow morning at 9. God bless this amazing animals.
    Last edited by Altitude Rider; Aug. 19, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

What a beautiful post... he is so unbelievably lucky to have someone who loves and has cared for him so much. You are doing the right thing.

Somewhere in time's own space
    there must be some sweet pastured place
    where creeks sing on and tall trees grow
    Some paradise where horses go,
    for by the love that guides my pen,
    I know great horses live again.
    -Stanley Harrison

To do the right thing, when it is the very hardest thing to do, is the mark of a truly good person. All the same, my heart is breaking for you.

Godspeed, Ready.

You are a truly courageous and loving owner. Bless you for doing right by your beloved partner.

My heart goes out to you. There is nothing more painful for me than making the decision. Equally, there is nothing more peaceful and giving for them than the final act of kindness. Bless you for putting his needs before your wishes. I'll keep you close in my thoughts.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Yeah, I think their final act of kindness to us is when they tell us loud and clear that they know it is time and thank us for the memories. It's then you know that they have a soul and can feel and return love.

God Bless You and your "READY" . Thoughts and prayers for you two. Will be thinking of you and "Ready" tomorrow.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Its so wonderful that you had that special time together with him today. Those are the memories you will go forward with once he has passed over the Bridge ...

{{{HUGS}}}

You know you are doing the very best thing for him ...

Godspeed to Ready ...

What an amazingly generous thing you are doing. .... (Gosh, it's hard to type while sobbing.) ..... Never doubt that you are doing the right thing. Bless You

Godspeed Ready...
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

May Ready go gently and peacefully and may you feel peace.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Glad to be alone at work today so I don't have to explain why I'm crying...

Bless you for being a responsible owner. You tried everything you could and now are granting him peace from pain. I'll be thinking about you when I go pat noses tonight.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I am deeply touched by your heartfelt post, and with tears in my eyes, I will be thinking of you and Ready tomorrow.

All of my horses will get an extra long hug tonight, to thank them for the years of pleasure they have given me.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Thank you all.

He's already had a couple of visitors today and more on the way...he is very loved. I just can't believe I'm going to feed his last dinner and stopping the supplements a couple of nights ago was just odd.

yes, everyone please give your animals and loved ones that extra hug.

Thanks again for the kind words and understanding...even though it's right sometimes it just feels so wrong.
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

I was in your shoes 3 weeks ago. I am so happy for you that you did get that one last ride. I was unable to do that. Know that you are doing the best thing and that it is so much better to be planned then to have an emergency situation. I will be thinking about you. Barichello will be there waiting for him, also free of pain, to show him around. Make sure you have lots of his favorite treats on hand for tomorrow. Big big hugs.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

That was such a beautiful post-thank you for sharing and reminding us to appreciate what we sometimes take for granted.

Godspeed, Ready.

(((((((HUGS))))))) to you. You are doing the right thing. Our thoughts will be with you.

C
    I was so happy when Cody survived his penile cancer and colic and was hoping that Ready's ringbone could be controlled, but with his sensitive stomach, I know the pain meds are making that worse.

Just use lots of ketamine, and give him all the treats he wants between now and tomorrow.

You and appychick are the 2 most responsible horse owners I know, who have kept their disabled horses and loved them even when they are no longer rideable.

Hang in there and hold him so that he won't worry when he gets his ketamine and he'll be sleeping when he is given the euthanol.
    And remember the good times with him, and that you did every thing that you could to keep him pain free with his illness.
    c

Sorry for what you're going through. The wait after that phone call is the worst. Be comforted knowing that the time is right and that you are giving Ready the best gift- a dignified passing. We'll be here for you and with you in spirit tomorrow .

Please know that I will be there with you in spirit and caring. I can't believe how much alike our stories are.....we too, have a Playboy, but ours is a QH, not a TB. Willie and Cody both suffering from SCC. You've had Ready for almost three years, as we have had Willie. We picked Willie's burial spot this morning, just in case. We, too, have scheduled the details, just in case. I also go from numb, to tears, to acceptance, back to tears and like you, cannot believe all the love and support that we have received during this most dreadful time of any horse owner's life. You know it has to be, but that does not make it any easier. Like you told me-- It. is. so. hard. But, this--it be right. Right for Ready, perhaps right for Willie. We as owners do know when "this- it be right" to do for our beloved companions. God speed, Ready, and much love to your mom for putting an end to your pain. Many hugs from VA.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Dang that was beautiful! And sad.

My thoughts will be with you and Ready. Its so hard having animals, and I know, I have had a rough year. Truck on and look forward. sandy
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies