The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I have eggs!

Well, egg, but another hen is sitting on the nest right now, so hopefully I'll have multiple soon!

And it's true--farm fresh eggs really DO taste better!

I ate it and it was delicious, but I do feel slightly canniblistic....

Grats!!! I can't wait for my first egg. I think I still have about a month before my original 7 are ready.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

How exciting! I still have a set of the first eggs from my last flock. (blown out of course)

The first one who laid was really funny. My husband was working on the chicken coop, putting in insulation, and finally hanging the nests. The Aracauna was following him around and getting in his stuff, sitting in his tool belt, burrowing into insulation etc. She just couldn't wait for that nest to get hung. That afternoon, we heard the triumphant cackling. "What the heck is that?" says City Boy... Some one thinks they laid an egg. We went in to investigate, and sure enough, Barley had laid a perfect little green egg.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Nothing beats your first few eggs, does it.

We just had to look before inserting hand, as sometimes we were competing with a rattler for those eggs.

We only kept some 15 hens and sold eggs all along to the local restaurant, that sure liked them.

How old are your hens and what breed are they? Congrats!!

A few weeks ago some critter raided a wild turkey nest and then dropped the egg, undamaged, in the path beside my shed.

One of the granddaughters scrambled it and we shared it. It was good and fresh, but a little strong. Maybe "gamey" is the term that suits, which isn't all that desirable in an egg. I think from now on I'll be gettin' my Wild Turkey from a bottle....

I have 10 4 month old sex links, and then the "young batch" of pullets that are 7 weeks--7 buff orphingtons & 6 Rhode Island Reds. I got the first batch from Tractor Supply & the 2nd batch from a hatchery--I didn't want to wait until October to try to get eggs. I think 2 of the reds and one of the Buffs are roosters though--their tails are different than the others. (which will get eaten as I do not want any Roo's!). I expect I'll have eggs coming out my ears soon! Luckily I have a market for the excess eggs here out of my barn.

I get a huge kick out of them--they all have individual characters and are just funny.

We got out first egg about two and a half weeks ago... now about two or three a day (six hens total, so the other gals should be joining in soon)... I hesitated posting about it... seems kind of odd eating the unhatched young of my pet chickens... but they are tasty, and I haven't has eggs this yummy since we had chickens on the farm when I was a teenager

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    We got out first egg about two and a half weeks ago... now about two or three a day (six hens total, so the other gals should be joining in soon)... I hesitated posting about it... seems kind of odd eating the unhatched young of my pet chickens... but they are tasty, and I haven't has eggs this yummy since we had chickens on the farm when I was a teenager
    Thanks! Now I don't feel as odd about feeling like a cannibal!

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    Thanks! Now I don't feel as odd about feeling like a cannibal!
    I think you can only be a cannibal if you are a chicken too!

Trixie's "Mrs. Kravitz" is up to a full dozen now. The garden is producing as well so earlier this week, Trixie made zucchini bread with her produce and fresh eggs.

Agnes and Gertrude should be laying soon.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by Everythingbutwings View Post
    Trixie's "Mrs. Kravitz" is up to a full dozen now. The garden is producing as well so earlier this week, Trixie made zucchini bread with her produce and fresh eggs.

Agnes and Gertrude should be laying soon.
    Grandma said to never name the hens, roosters is ok.
    I thought about it hard and asked if numbers were names.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    Well, egg, but another hen is sitting on the nest right now, so hopefully I'll have multiple soon!

And it's true--farm fresh eggs really DO taste better!

I ate it and it was delicious, but I do feel slightly canniblistic....
    why they arnt fertile unless you have a cockeral

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    What's up with that... All of mine have names... I figure if I'm going to rob them of their eggs the least I can do is be on a first name basis with them

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

My niece named of my pullets Sophie. She said I could eat the other ones if I wanted but not to eat Sophie.

Many of them would fly up on my arms and sit on me when they were younger, but now that they are almost grown up they've become more independent. Except for Sophie, she still runs up to me and waits to be picked up.

They're not laying yet but I'm getting plenty of eggs from my current layers.

I am eagerly awaiting eggs from the Cuckoo Marans. I bought some of them just for giggles but I must say I am very surprised at their size. These pullets and cockerels are HUGE. Very striking, large birds.

So far - no Chucky's. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    why they arnt fertile unless you have a cockeral
    That's right. If you don't have any roosters, you don't have to feel bad about eating the eggs, as the eggs are unfertilized and would never develop into chicks. We were down to one hen and no rooster and she got broody on her eggs. She sat on those eggs until they were little sulfur bombs. I finally felt sorry for her and got some newly hatched chicks from the local hatchery. I covered her with a burlap bag, very carefully pulled out the rotten eggs, and tucked those chicks underneath her. She was making momma clucking noises while those chicks were still in the paper bag. She was one proud instant momma, and she took great care of those chicks!!

mine had names like pearl , bronze, deana, harry, misty fosty etc
    i had bantums hens are lovely birds and they can become freindly also a cockeral can but if you have more than one cockeral be aware they will fight for top position and will peck anything that moves including kids - hence why i got rid of them if they were boys
    girls are so easy to handle and do

Quote Originally Posted by ToiRider View Post
    That's right. If you don't have any roosters, you don't have to feel bad about eating the eggs, as the eggs are unfertilized and would never develop into chicks. We were down to one hen and no rooster and she got broody on her eggs. She sat on those eggs until they were little sulfur bombs. I finally felt sorry for her and got some newly hatched chicks from the local hatchery. I covered her with a burlap bag, very carefully pulled out the rotten eggs, and tucked those chicks underneath her. She was making momma clucking noises while those chicks were still in the paper bag. She was one proud instant momma, and she took great care of those chicks!!
    That's awesome! This might be one of the best threads ever.

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    mine had names like pearl , bronze, deana, harry, misty fosty etc
    i had bantums hens are lovely birds and they can become freindly also a cockeral can but if you have more than one cockeral be aware they will fight for top position and will peck anything that moves including kids - hence why i got rid of them if they were boys
    girls are so easy to handle and do
    We had a rooster when I was a teenager... we named him N' Dumplings (I think he was the only roo we ever named... besides the ones we have now... Vick, Frick and Frack) He was one of five roosters we had (dad picked up five un-sexed "cute chicks" of different breeds from the ag store)... The boys coexisted fairly peacefully... well until they were eventually picked off one at a time by predictors.

ToiRider - that was so sweet!! Congrats laz, I'm majorly jealous
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine