The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conformation Critique Please

Forgive the photo, background could be much lighter but that being said please give honest appraisal. 3.5 year old warmblood stallion. Thank you.

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...g.jpg&newest=1

Hi! Can I guess that Babylon is a Dutch horse, because he is 3 years old and "B" horses were born in 2006? What are his bloodlines? (I am thinking that I might know . . . .)

Confo-wise: he could be standing a bit better because his left front leg is too far under himself, but let me see what I think I see. Any chance you could get a better picture with a better background and front legs better positioned?

If his left front leg was foreward and the cannon was vertical to the ground, that would make his shoulder more sloped, so it appears that he has a nice angle to the shoulder. From the picture, it looks like the neck is possibly set on well in front of the withers (no dip infront of withers) and is set high out of the chest. Slightly back at the knee, but not to a detrimental extent. From the picture his loin might be a bit long and weak? I think he is level or possibly uphill from stifle to point of elbow (if left leg moved forward). I think there is a slight tendency towards a sickle hock angle (note that cap of hock is below point of butt and the cannon bones are not vertical to the ground). Stifle might be on the straight side? If his femur was longer, that would give more angle to the stifle.

I would love for you to tell us more about this horse

Yes he is Dutch, just for grins... who do you think his sire is?

I'm going to guess Ferro - because I've seen a few of them now and they've all had that long, weak loin, underpowered hind end, especially when younger. But they could all move!
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

I don't think it's Ferro. I think the bloodlines are very different than his.

SweetieBob - sending you a PM.

voltaire?

Default Like him

I like him, from this photo he is a very attractive fellow with a nice looking front. As said he is not as nice behind right now as he is in front. If I were looking at him seriously I would ask to see a collection of baby pictures and parents and siblings to see what the direction that rear is heading toward as it matures. I would expect the hind quarter to be late coming together is the picture is 3 and 1/2...maybe 5 or 6 even. You could tear apart the conformation of the loin and back but there is nothing that can't be helped by maturity. He will likely change a lot behind...including angles. If he is a stallion candidate I would say it will be tough to wait til it comes together...I would likely geld him. Sadly a stallion needs to be very precocious in warmblood breeds to get through all the hoops to approval. PatO

I like him, not going to wager on breeding but looks jumper to me. Agree that he is better in front than behind at this point, but not sure if that is partly the photo and angle, as well as the fact that he is a bit lean and unmuscled. With some weight and being stood up better he might look quite different. He is quite cute, and if he has everything else going for him I wouldn't necessarily geld him just because he won't be mature enough for approval at 3-4yo. Plenty of stallions prove their worth later. Is he yours? Do tell on the bloodlines and intentions.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Not to hijack, but bushkn, I loved that movie called Elizabethtown!

SweetieBob, where are you? We want to know more about your colt! Hurry up and come back!

OK I'll fess up. The stallion is owned by my trainer with whom I work for on the weekends
    & take lessons from. I agree with what others have said, he is maturing very slowly. He has not been to inspection because frankly he has always looked a bit "ugly duckling"
    He is just starting to look a bit better now. Last years photos were just awful!
    Has been under saddle for a few months. Doing well and coming along.
    No serious jumping yet. Just free jumping. Has nice, natural lead changes.

NAME: Babylon St. George

SIRE : JUDGEMENT ISF

DAM: DORON 5 (Hanoverian) by Dux by Domspatz Out Of Chantal By Calypso II

He has down a few test breedings so we shall see what comes of it.

He was bred with the intentions of being grand prix jumper for the owner/trainer.

bump

Forgive my ignorance but I've been staring at this picture trying to figure out what it is people don't like about his hind end...could someone please explain? What do you look for in a "good" hind end? I'm honestly just curious because i have no eye for these things ...thanks!