The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Stallion- Heartbreaker

Has anyone ever bred to Heartbreaker here in the US or have most of his offspring been imported? Any ideas on how good the semen quality is?

Quote Originally Posted by HilaryHrsRdr View Post
    Has anyone ever bred to Heartbreaker here in the US or have most of his offspring been imported? Any ideas on how good the semen quality is?
    His semen quality is not that good -- this was told to me personally and in person by his owner at Team Nijhof. You could email them directly and ask -- www.team-nijhof.nl -- they have always been very honest and upfront with any questions I have asked about their stallions. They are great to work with. Oh, and they do offer LFG with their frozen semen which is a real plus.

From personal experience, I tried to breed a mare I purchased from them prior to importing her to the states -- she did not get in foal with 3 tries and this was fresh semen. She took first try when we switched to the stallion Verdi and her colt is now 2 years old.

With that being said, I did have the honor of meeting Heartbreaker in person and he is a stunning stallion. I would love to have one of his offspring !! But I would purchase one on the ground and import instead of trying to breed for one.

I know a Heartbreaker son up close and personal and he completely justifies the "quirky" reputation that his sire has got. According to people who have met more Heartbreakers than I have he is typical. Not a horse for the faint of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by stolensilver View Post
    I know a Heartbreaker son up close and personal and he completely justifies the "quirky" reputation that his sire has got. According to people who have met more Heartbreakers than I have he is typical. Not a horse for the faint of heart.
    Would you care to mention who this Heartbreaker son is? Is he a stallion? I have a Heartbreaker grandson and I am wondering what to expect. If you would rather PM me re this question, please do. Thank you....and please define "quirky". Thanks.

Jan
    Dark Horse Farm

Quote Originally Posted by stolensilver View Post
    If you're interested in more laid back HB blood, you should look into Torino at Jump Start Farm. He's by Heartbreaker out of a Cassini I mare. The Cassini I mother is probably the key to Torino. His offspring are super easy to deal with. I have a 4 year old stallion by him that I can not compliment enough for his temperament and work ethic. Whether he is ridden or handled by pros or ammies, he's so easy (so easy I wish he was home with me! ). My trainer has seen several in person and ridden them as well... he can not sing their praises high enough, both for temperament and talent.

I have also heard that the Heartbreaker semen is not very good. And I would second the Torino suggestion. I have met him in person and he is a lovely stallion and his owners have been very good to work with. I have also spoken with one of his riders who says he thinks he might be the best horse he's ever ridden.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

I too have heard that Heartbreaker semen is not of good quality. (From my supplier) I actually really liked him and because of that warning from him, I decided to go with Padinus. (He is a Heartbreaker son) I have my mare booked already and am planning on breeding her next year. I am very excited about that!!

Yes I do LOVE Torino. Ferme Beaulieu also has a wonderful Heartbreaker x Cassini I stallion. I love the cross which is why I was interested in breeding Heartbreaker to my Cassini II mare. Unfortunately I do not think it would be correct to breed Torino to my mare I wonder how the LFG works with Heartbreaker- do you get semen shipped to you throughout the year and if your mare doesn't take then that's it, or if they ship the semen to you until your mare takes regardless of time? Has anyone else ever tried breeding to him?

Also how is HB 'quirky'???

There is a stallion son of Heartbreaker in Canada:
    He is Heartbreaker x Calvados I think, he is at Bosch Farms.

He is very popular here so there are a lot of young offspring around.

Quote Originally Posted by HilaryHrsRdr View Post
    I wonder how the LFG works with Heartbreaker- do you get semen shipped to you throughout the year and if your mare doesn't take then that's it, or if they ship the semen to you until your mare takes regardless of time? Has anyone else ever tried breeding to him?
    With so many very nice Heartbreaker sons out there, I'd save yourself, your vet and your mare the pain of using notoriously poor frozen semen, LFG or not.

I've got two Torino x Pikadero's that I love and have great temperments. The yearling filly has a bit of mind of her own (she's a girl, after all), but learns quickly and is very sweet. The 2 year old gelding is one of the easiest 2-year olds to work with that you could ever imagine.

On the "quirky," from what I've heard, Heartbreaker is known for producing very talented jumpers, but which generally require a professional ride (though they're not anywhere near as "quirky" as some of the Galoubets).
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I am going to Beaulieu's Farm tomorow. If I can see the Hearthbreaker sons (there are 2, one approuved, and one to be), I'll give you my impressions for what it's worth .

Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    There is a stallion son of Heartbreaker in Canada:
    He is Heartbreaker x Calvados I think, he is at Bosch Farms.

He is very popular here so there are a lot of young offspring around.
    Interesting, I had the BEST jumper with so much talent that now a Jr. owns. He is by Padinus (Heartbreaker) and out of a Calvados mare...

Padinus offspring are amazing! and he has frozen at Tean Nijhof
    Last edited by SSFLandon; Jun. 22, 2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: can't type or spell

Quote Originally Posted by SSFLandon View Post
    Interesting, I have the BEST jumper with so much talent that now a Jr. owns. He is by Padinus (Heartbreaker) and out of a Cavados mare...

Padinus offspring are amazing! and he has frozen at Tean Nijhof

I am so very happy to hear that!! I am VERY excited to be breeding my mare to Padinus next year (after she foals of course)!! I already have her booked!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElegantExpressionsFarm View Post
    I am so very happy to hear that!! I am VERY excited to be breeding my mare to Padinus next year (after she foals of course)!! I already have her booked!!
    if you send me your email I will send you some awesome pics of him...I bought him as a 2 yr old and sold him at 5. He was an investment I imported but, it was tough to sell him and not take him further...but, can't turn down great money!

I`ve got a 4 yr old colt by Beaulieu`s Coolman, out of Une Beaute, by Heartbreaker, and, like Sapphire, out of a Hedjaz mare.

Super quiet, lovely type, and a very good jumper.

No quirks, but none of the Coolman foals that I know about have quirks, so maybe it`s the sire.

No, Hearbreaker frozen semen is not good at all. Bad would be the least. I have tried several times on different mares with no success.

However Jeanette fromTeam Nijhof has been very cooperative and have given me other frozen semen to choose from. My mare got in foal first time with Padinus and a colt was born a month ago. He is black and very friendly. It is interesting to know that Padinus can not produce offspring with a chesnut color.

It is too bad that he died so young, there is no more semen of his in Europe, only some in the US.
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

[QUOTE=bloomingtonfarm;4182768]No, Hearbreaker frozen semen is not good at all.

What a bummer! Some people must get lucky. I know that Ferme Beaulieu's mare got in foal to Heartbeaker. The Heartbreaker x Cassini I stallion is the very nice stallion they now have standing. If I had a gazillion dollars I might try it, but as everyone has mentioned a son sounds like the safe way to go.

Our stallion, Equinox, is by Torino who is by Heartbreaker. The Heartbreaker is getting a little further back with him. Equinox is so easy to work with anywhere you go and very easy at shows. I could not ask for more from him. At his first dressage show in March of this year he acted as if he was a seasoned show horse. It makes life easier with a stallion who is so calm and collected. His easy going attitude has made the process of getting his stallion performance requirements completed much easier!

I also know Torino all up close and personal- I've been able to watch him for over a year now and he is AMAZING! I really believe he'll be one of those stallions looked back on as very important to US breeding. He's got the most amazing scope and talent that is truely rare to see. I have a mare in foal to him and I hope to breed another mare to him this year. The cassini blood is known as Ammy prouducing crossed with the talent of heartbreaker- he has it all and prouduces it in spades. A truely great stallion, with knowlageable and great owners. A real gem for american sporthorse breeding.
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...now where did I put those marbles...
    Secretary, WTF Registry