The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Time to Move on from Intro, I guess

Okay, I'm still giggling guiltily. I kicked 8 year old little girl butt on Sunday.

Aaargh. Had to get up at 4:45 A.M. to get to show for 8:30 ride. Big time DQ barn. I did get a chance to walk my big, somewhat spooky 5 year old (4/19) around the outside of the show arena, but he was walking on eggshells. Went into the indoor warmup, and OF COURSE, one boarder (not showing) had to start lungeing her horse in an area within the indoor right next to the warmup (despite the fact that there was a high walled round pen with LOVELY footing outside, out of sight of the warmup.) Yeah, I know they need to get used to things, but having a horse throwing fits on the lunge really isn't helpful at close range. Then another boarder just HAD to turn her very high horse out in one of those round thingies with dividers sort of like a hot walker, also encompassed within the indoor, where it bucked and squealed. Needlesstosay, my youngster was totally buzzed. SO..... Since I was the second ride of the show, I was permitted to warm up in the smallish arena just behind the Judge's stand. He settled down, but was still pretty tense. So along comes a little girl on a cute QH (or maybe BS Paint - it had a blue eye), that obediently trotted around doing Intro A, nose poked out, all very cute. Then I went in and did Intro B. He was SO tense that I couldn't really get him as soft/down/round was I would have liked without risking an explosion, so we did get some comments about "short in neck," which I knew at the time, but really couldn't do much about under the circumstances. He got a 67%. Then the same little girl did Intro B and got a 56%. So....we kicked 8 year old butt!!! ROFLOL She was the only one in Intro A, so she did go home with a blue ribbon. As I was warming up, and feeling the yee-haws ready to burst out in my horse, I wanted to say to her, "Believe me, he's just as likely to send me flying as do a good test." Of course, then she would have thought I was lying, since he behaved.

We did Training 1, first time at a recognized show, and while we had some minor glitches, he got a 62.60%, which considering his tenseness and all, was okay. His first canter depart (left lead) was lovely and he got a 7. The second canter depart (our Achilles heel at this point), was...interesting. Cantering in place may be entertaining, but judges don't seem to think much of it. LOL

haha, awesome. And how do you know the girl was 8? Maybe she was more like...10?

I know how you feel though...I'm always riding with the little kids. Damn me and my late starting ways!

Congratulations on overcoming the cuteness factor - it is always so tough to show against kids that are just too gosh-darned cute!

Glad you had a good show - with all of the additional experiences!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

She might have been 9 or 10, but she was quite petite and the horse was not much bigger than a pony. She was in total DQ turnout - tall boots, white gloves, etc. Really adorable, but horse was going more like a hunter, though at that level, I would consider that just fine. I wonder, are jodhpurs and Jodhpur boots allowed in dressage for little ones like that? I would think it would be much easier on the parents' budget if they were.

OMG that was my child, you broke her heart and she cried for days!

Just kidding. Good job Actually, the warm-up is the part of showing that is most scaring me! Being in the arena alone doing a dressage test is fine, trying to get him relaxed in a new place... not so much!

And congrats on a great score

Ha ha! My crowning acheivement in the show ring with my mare was winning our W/T cavaletti class. 4 poles, twice around the outside, baby! We nailed it!

She was very, very green, and it was an accomplishment. However, my pride was somewhat diminished by the fact that most of my competition weighed about 50 pounds. They were working on getting the right diagonal, and keeping their lesson ponies from taking advantage and dragging them into the center of the ring. One of the kids was slooooowly run away with when her ancient lesson horse turned for the gate and made a "break" for it. He started trotting a little quickly, and even shuffled into a few steps of canter. The poor little girl was shrieking and crying, while every trainer on the rail shouted "sit up, sit up! Ho!!"

I felt like such a heel collecting that ribbon
    Last edited by pony89; Jun. 16, 2009 at 02:39 PM.

pony89 - thanks for the laugh! I am picturing the scene in my head and it is PRICELESS!!!

When I was in my 20s, I came second to tiny-child-with-pigtails-on-gray-pony in an Obedience Hunter Hack class (with fences). We fought it out tooth and nail right to the end. Damn, but that kid was good! I was a Dressage rider masquerading as a Hunter that day, while tiny-child was Hunter Pony all the way. I was, nevertheless, very pleased with my second place ribbon out of a class of a dozen or more.

Congratulations on your good scores!