The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Whats up with Bits & Bytes TB Farm?

So i was browsing their site today because i enjoy looking at the horses they have every now and again. i was a bit startled and aggravated to read some of the comments posted to some of the horses that were sold by the trainers/owners to lower level racing than the bigger tracks they were originally stationed at.

One read- "Ray Rules" - GONE. Sold to low end racing#@! Next stop slaughterhouse. Sometimes we cannot get to them fast enough. Thank you everyone who tried. September 23, 2008

Are these people for-real? Next stop is the slaughter-house? I bought my OTTB who had raced the big time in his 3 yr old yr from a lower level track but a trainer who was dedicated to her horses and loved them and did the best she could for them. I was reading through this site today and i really cant even read it any more the comments are so infuriating. Im not even a trainer of race horses and i find it to be offensive to read. i cant imagine what some people who do race the low-end tracks but take good care of their horses must think

Who knows. I think statements like that are designed to ping peoples' emotions, to make them act faster and buy horses in the future. At the same time, it's very insulting to the people who work with horses "at the bottom"

The lower level claiming ranks aren't so different from local level showing, etc. Just a place for horses (and/or people) who are not competitive at the top. Everybody, and every horse, has their place. And just like at a local hunter show, just because it's a $4K claiming race doesn't mean the horse isn't treated well, or the people involved aren't humane and ethical horsemen (of course, you get all kinds, everywhere, but still.)

The idea that all horses going to a low level track are automatically destined to be ground down and shipped off is pretty insulting (but then, I may have my hackles up because it seems like they're also insinuating that horses who end up on CANTER or at other rescues are all broken down, which I know isn't the case at all).

All that said, there are some people here who have gotten great horses from B&B, iirc. (and there are a couple cute ones on there now, actually)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

My trainer has 3... well, one is "half mine"... that she found through B&B's prospect page, and they are all lovely horses (though I'm partial since I know them!). I agree with caffinated though, I think some of the comments are made to tug at your heartstrings, so to speak. Thats the business she's in; trying to find homes for OTTBs by appealing to prospective buyers in whatever way she can. Is it good/smart marketing??? *shrug*

Not every trainer at a "low end" track is a jerk, and I can see where some would be irritated by some of the comments since they know they aren't "those jerks"... but the horse I lease from my trainer that she got through B&B was treated horribly by some one at some track and has had to overcome some serious mental baggage. I'd like to find the a$$ and tell him whats what though.

But bad things can happen, and do happen, in any horse discipline. Not racing alone.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

Not all Thoroughbreds listed on B&B are sold through B&B. Some of the horses on the prospects page are listings for owners to try to get them off the track and into homes.

I'm thinking Elizabeth hired someone to help her with her website. The "GONE - next stop slaughterhouse" tactic just started appearing a month or so ago. I think mainly B&B acts as a go between, but the buyer is responsible for all PPE, etc. costs.

A friend of mine has two B&B "Bargain Barn" horses; she was also shocked at the addition of the comments on the page. Otherwise, Ms. Wood is more than honest about the horses' conditions, problems they have, and is forthcoming with any and all information she has on the horses.

From B&B website:

"We will tell you what we know about the horse and put you in touch with the seller. We will also help you to arrange for vetting and shipping. It is usually not possible to visit the horse at the track."

Don't you know - Yuppy computer geeks ALWAYS know better !

i did notice they just started appearing. Was wondering they got desperate or something. Always some nice looking horses on there that i love. Im in love with Play and im debating but i really dont have time for anothe rbut hes soo darn cute!

It just struck a nerve reading something like that

I saw it too and thought it was distasteful. Kind of turned me off from looking at her site, plus her site is just so busy it is hard to read.

I guess I don't understand the business model as they are located in GA. I don't make it a policy to memorize all operating TB tracks, but are there any in GA? If not, I assume she buys a them and trucks them south?
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

The two I got through her came from Ohio where her track connection is.
    farmgirl88 I like Play too-please get him!

Quote Originally Posted by blaster View Post
    I guess I don't understand the business model as they are located in GA. I don't make it a policy to memorize all operating TB tracks, but are there any in GA? If not, I assume she buys a them and trucks them south?
    Most of the "prospects" are just horses that she's acting as an agent for. She has contacts at the track, and she assumes the burden of advertising and fielding calls for the trainer. In fact, when buying a prospect, it is VERY difficult to speak directly to the trainer; it's all done through Elizabeth. Some of the nicer ones, she buys herself and brings to the farm in GA. Many of these horses end up as her "special" ones, and get more training and go for a higher price.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster View Post
    I guess I don't understand the business model as they are located in GA.
    From what I've seen it's not a "business" from which anyone makes a livelihood. Elizabeth has a real job and re-homes TB on the side because it is something she feels strongly about, not something that makes much money.

I have a TB stallion, multiple stakeswinner and stakes placed, dropped from his "glory days" at Calder running here at what I'll easily conceed is "low end racing". This horse has so much baggage he needs a handcart to haul it. Fortunately he's rarely a kicker, but bite, strike, and run you over is all fair game and all past life related. If you lift any barn tool (rake, fork, whatever) near him he will fly back and take offense. When you walk him around the corners at the barn he will throw his head up and shy. My husband suspects he was "tuned up" with a buggy whip before racing to get his adrenaline flowing

Who's taking the time to work with him and keep him happy? We are. We know what he loves and give him as much of his favorite things as possible. He is glowing with good health, like all our horses. I give him toys, attention, play safely with him. He'd been STALLED for 2 YEARS prior to our getting him, no turnout. This we got from his previous large stable owner. We let him be a horse in his own paddock for the winter off, and he loved his freedom. But even with all we've been able to do for him, he is still going to be a very difficult horse to handle for life. And it's not because of "low end racing".

Thanks for taking umbrage for us little guys, farmgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    i did notice they just started appearing.
    They started appearing shortly after the addition of the "supplemental" website. (I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head).