The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Devon Classic & Horse & Pony Show @ Devon

I know the last 2 years these shows were held at Ashley Meadows due to various reasons. Does anyone know if they are at AM again this year or at the show grounds? Thanks!
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

I believe they are back at Devon this year. You could double check on the AM website.

thanks last i checked it hadn't been updated

I believe they are being held at Devon this year! Very excited, although I do get to show in Devon, I still love doing these shows there because its just fun riding in the Dixon!
    P=N
    If you run out of patience, you run out of nice.

I'm pretty sure there was an ad in the Chronicle recently that said these shows will be at Devon this year.

Thanks! The kids are looking forward to it, especially after going to Devon today!!!

I was told they will be back at Devon this year.
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

I got the prize list, they're both at Devon

Default Ashley meadows at Devon

Are these still run very similar to the shows held at Ashley meadows? Are the courses very similar to what you see at Ashley? We went to one at Ashley over the winter for jumpers. The courses were very hunterish and fence heights were on the low side for the level. I would prefer to see more of jumper course with heights set at the level. I woudl appreciate any input!
    Thanks!

The shows are run the same with very strict pre and post entry rules. The fence heights and courses were appropriate for the hunter divisions when I was there a few years ago. I do not know about the jumper classes. Check the prize list for the course designer and see if it is the same one as when you showed at Ashley Meadows.

The last time it was at Devon the jumper courses were jumper like in the Dixon. But I would call and ask just in case it would be different this time.

Thanks! Just checked the website and it's updated as well!

Anyone watch the second Adult jumper class on Monday?

I was the rider whose horse fell in a pile near the ingate after jump #2. The footing gave way, and we went down. My horse sprung up and walked to my mother who was standing there with a mint. I took a bit longer- having broken my horses fall with my shoulder. Everyone is ok.. I was sore but my horse was 100% fine.
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

good to hear youre ok flogarty! im sorry though...

but yes, i was told it will be at devon again! we refuse to attend another ashley meadows unless we absoloutley must...i am really hoping the jumper courses will not be ashley meadows 'jumper' courses. anyone know if its the same course designer as usual? thoe courses are just terrible...

Smile

Why don't you come to Middlesex with weekend befrore that. They have all kinds of classes and great course designer!!!!!

oh yes! of course i am going to middlesex, but i feel like getting my horses in that ring would just be a good experience for actually going to the real devon next year

hi all. just wanted to know what everyone thought.
    i thought it was run poorly, had terrible time management, and heard she sent a judge home-is that legal??
    wed night finished by 11:15
    how was this show for all of you?

I was there Sunday to watch and my DD was there to try a pony who was not showing. typical mucky wet footing , ( although there is nothing Am can do about that LOl) but one of my friends tried to scratch from classes in the gold ring ( which was soooo mucky) and enter in classes in the Dixon Oval , she was told she would need to pay for BOTH divisions as they were not going to allow her to switch divisions. Not fair IMHO but I guess up to the discretion of the management.
    Oh and turnout was LOW, I have NEVER seen that show at Devon with so few entries. they were calling for people to FILL the Jr hunter class, it blew my mind!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

None of this news shocks me....
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

Default IT WAS AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL

I have to sadly say this was the worst show I have ever attended. Such a shame as all my kids were looking forward to a fun day.

First off, one of my students, whose entries were mailed in at the same time as everyone else, was charged a late fee. All entries were in the same envelope. WTF? I ask management and they were going to then charge ALL my students the late fee, rather than admitting their mistake and giving my student their check back. They finally agreed to just leave it as is. Seriously ticked me off.

Next, the rings got started over 40 minutes late. Then, in the SS Eq division they STOPPED the division in the middle of classes (first 2 flat classes completed) then we had to wait around 45 minutes for the resolution of the trainer conflict. My poor 8 yr old and her pony about came unglued! They could have finished the division in less time than it took to resolve to conflict! It took over 4 hours for short stirrup alone to complete (and there was only 9 in the division!)

Then for the 3rd class in the ss eq - they are supposed to jump 2 x-rails. No biggie. They w/t in both directions and line up for the test. Then, the announcer calls out a number and says "number 123 go jump your 2 crossrails" no explanation as to WHAT 2 crossrails (there were 4) what direction, or at what gait. Poor kid made a guess and everyone else just followed.

The ring crew was unwilling to walk out into the muck and hand out ribbons, so no one got their ribbons until they exited the ring and dug them out of a box on the ground(again, a big deal for kids).

I talked to other trainers and riders who also had awful things to say. One person sent in over $1000 in entries just for her kid alone, and management lost the entries (check was cashed though) and was going to charge late fees on all the entries.

Another person was the only person pre-entered for the Juniors. Got all braided up and came to show only to have the division cancelled. How hard is it to make ONE phone call?

Turnout was incredibly low. The course in the Dixon oval seemed to be the same as the one from 3 years ago (last time it was held there).

There were no 1st place prizes, only prizes for Ch & RCh

Everyone who was working the show were miserable and grouchy. No one seemed to enjoy being there.

It's a shame. It has so much potential to be such a great show. It would be nice if AM would give it up to someone else. This was just my experience for Sunday with little kids. I can't imagine what it was like for those who stayed all week! This was a show I was hoping to put on my calendar for years to come, but I will have to seriously think about it again. I should have gone to Middlesex!