The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CANTER @ Delaware Park

Weee! I'm so excited!

Just wanted to announce here (because there are so many eventers near this track!) That CANTER is officially going to start listing horses and starting a retraining program at Delaware Park!

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...men-aid-canter

Very cool!

I am seriously worried I might be adding to my collection of horses when I am there to help take listings. There are rules prohibiting CANTER volunteers from purchasing horses right?? I exercise restraint with the horses at my farm for retraining only because my job is to get them sold and not to myself

Yay FairWeather!!! I forwarded the link to our sports reporter who covers racing, so maybe you'll get some extra press in Delaware soon. He's all about finding good second homes for racehorses.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

oh no! I'm going to be so close so soon!

That's SO COOL!!! Way to go CANTER!

OK, this is way too close. Hopefully, recent pony acquisition will keep me away for a while
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Scubed, your recent acquisition is about as cute as they get. And what a lovely eye!
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Thanks, NeverTime. Not to hijack, but while he was not a CANTER horse, he was 24 hours from slaughter when the state vet in NY went and got him herself to make sure he would end up in a good home. He has his own fan club in NY who are hoping he will do great things. I'm very excited about being part of his future
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Ok, just read the whole article....

Now I obviously think CANTER is the cat's pajamas; I have one from CANTER PA and another one I sadly lost this year, but CANTER is more of a network to place horses (which is great!) not a retirement fund.

The gossip I heard about DE Park was that they were actually going to set up their own organization and have their own stable (even if it was based out of an already established farm) to evaluate, let down, and restart the training process so the horses had a better chance of finding great homes, and the ones who were too injured, or just not safe would be humanly euthanize or retired.

Again, i'm not at all bashing CANTER or saying they won't do a good job, but from what I heard was planned for DE Park... the racetrack making this huge effort to take care of their horses... CANTER seems almost like the easy way out for them.

What I mean by that is, DE PARK is sorta leaving it up to CANTER to take care of their horses, CANTER has to come take pictures, maintain the webpage, and sorta take the blame if a horse ends up in a bad home or even if a horse that shouldn't be placed at all gets placed in a bad home.

I guess I was just really excited at the idea a racetrack would be taking full responsibility for their horses.

Nevertime- say hi to Jack Ireland for me Annie and I were in PC together back in the day. I grew up on the backside of Delaware Park so it is great to be able to volunteer and give trainers another option.

Meredith- I think the tracks that have those types of programs are struggling to make it work. Ultimately, if you don't own your own property (racetracks don't) you are going to have to lease a farm/pay board, pay employees, vet/farrier/chiro/dentist expenses, retraining expenses and so much more. I am not sure how they are funding those programs but I am sure it would take a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I am not sure how they are funding those programs but I am sure it would take a lot of money.
    Totally agree, that's why I was so excited when it seemed like they were going to put the money into a project like that.

So is it that Delaware Park is contirbuting the stalls to house the horses? Is that the extent of their involvement?

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    So is it that Delaware Park is contirbuting the stalls to house the horses? Is that the extent of their involvement?
    No, they are providing grant money (both the track, and the horseman's association) to CANTER to start taking horses from Delaware Park into the adoption program, as well as supporting a track listing program there.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    Ok, just read the whole article....

Now I obviously think CANTER is the cat's pajamas; I have one from CANTER PA and another one I sadly lost this year, but CANTER is more of a network to place horses (which is great!) not a retirement fund.

The gossip I heard about DE Park was that they were actually going to set up their own organization and have their own stable (even if it was based out of an already established farm) to evaluate, let down, and restart the training process so the horses had a better chance of finding great homes, and the ones who were too injured, or just not safe would be humanly euthanize or retired.

Again, i'm not at all bashing CANTER or saying they won't do a good job, but from what I heard was planned for DE Park... the racetrack making this huge effort to take care of their horses... CANTER seems almost like the easy way out for them.

What I mean by that is, DE PARK is sorta leaving it up to CANTER to take care of their horses, CANTER has to come take pictures, maintain the webpage, and sorta take the blame if a horse ends up in a bad home or even if a horse that shouldn't be placed at all gets placed in a bad home.

I guess I was just really excited at the idea a racetrack would be taking full responsibility for their horses.
    Highly unlikely DelPark on their own would do this. The owner himself (Wm. Rickman) was (in)famous for dumping unwanted racehorses at New Holland. The story might still be up on the Lost and Found Rescue site.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    No, they are providing grant money (both the track, and the horseman's association) to CANTER to start taking horses from Delaware Park into the adoption program, as well as supporting a track listing program there.

Oh! I misunderstood. Well, that is good news.

The money they are donating to CANTER will allow CANTER to provide for horses coming into the adoption program. Those horses need to be boarded and have their care provided for. CANTER MA only takes on the number of horses they can financially support so the donation from Delaware Park will allow horses from that track to come into the program without needs to raise additional money. Of course fundraising, donations and other sources of money are still important

Well since "The" Rickman is no longer large and in charge, maybe Junior will take a better hold of the care of at least their string. It's hard for them to have a hand in what happens to other's horses stabled there.

On another note- did New Holland or the State of PA implement a no-kill type restriction for TB's? Or maybe PTHA? I was told that no tatooed TB can go through New Holland from PA tracks or the trainer/owner will get days? Anyone know the story/truth of that?

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Highly unlikely DelPark on their own would do this. The owner himself (Wm. Rickman) was (in)famous for dumping unwanted racehorses at New Holland. The story might still be up on the Lost and Found Rescue site.