The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default tack theft caught on camera, Millstone NJ

Anyone recognize these two young "ladies"? The farm owner would like help identifying these girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bzvlh673ao
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

It says the video no longer available?

Hope they catch the little dishonest snots. I also hope the girls are dealt with legally and then their parents tan the hides off of them.
    I saw the video fine.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Holy Sh**.

That camera caught some pretty good images of those two.

They'll never last in jail - they'll be eaten alive. Good.

They seem to be quite clear on what they are looking for.. I'm surprised a local hasn't already id'd them.

As videos go this one is a good one - great shots of both of their faces, distinctive hair and clothing.

Little brats....
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Very strange, and very convenient that they just happened to stand in the light of the video camera, in the very spot in the tack room that is covered by the video camera. Just a bit too perfect, IMO.

Are we sure this isn't a hoax of some kind?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

could you ask the police or could you show this video to your local hs teachers? (or maybe junior high).

Talk about nerve.

That's a night vision camera...you can tell when they enter the tack room. Watch the flashlight's reflection on the floor in the middle of what looks like a pool of light...the flashlight is bright as heck on the floor because that's not lit up to them. It's dark in there...not pitch black but pretty dark. That's the same view I get from my night vision cameras.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I could have really done without the creepy voiceover.

For some reason the original won't open, but I connected to the owner and saw her other video-same thing. Those girls knew what they were doing. Well it will be tough to live this down, now that they are online for all eternity.

The farm has been robbed before, hence the installation of the camera. The idea of taking it to the local school is a good one.

The text of the email I was forwarded is as follows, maybe I am gullible, but it sounds believable to me.

[FONT=Arial]"I am sending this email out to all of you in the hopes that someone might be able to help me. I am sure you all can understand how devastating it is to have someone come into your home/barn and take whatever they want without a conscience. Well, last June I had someone come into my barn and steal my Hennig dressage saddle. I had no clue who did it so, after reporting it to the police, I let it go. There was very little I could do about it. The one thing I did do was to have surveillance cameras installed through out my barn. I did it for "peace of mind" but I really didn't believe it would happen again. I was wrong, last night I had two more saddles stolen. I can't believe that someone would come right in my barn and take anything they wanted, but they did. The good news is, I have the whole thing on video. Attached are some of the pictures of the two young girls that broke into my barn in the middle of the night and stole two saddles. Hopefully, someone will recognize them as the photos get around. What I really want is my saddles back. I believe that people are desperate right now and feel a barn (that you can't lock up) is an easy target, but I hope if I give them a little bit of time they will return my saddles and not risk prosecution. I am sure that I will eventually find the girls who did it but it would be easier if someone recognized them and let me know who they are,sooner then later. Eventually, I will hire a private investigator to find and prosecute the thieves. I have a full video and many more pictures for anyone that might recognize these two girls."[/FONT]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

The owners of the video should post a notice with youtube link on it at all area tack shops and all other area barns. And a still from the video of the two girls' faces. Probably the fastest way to get them identified.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

It strikes me how absolutely healthy, well - fed and well - dressed these two are. So much for my philosophy that theft is usually conducted by those in dire straights.

These girls look like they want for nothing.

They were obviously looking for something specific. I hope someone recognizes them.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by apprider View Post
    The farm has been robbed before, hence the installation of the camera. The idea of taking it to the local school is a good one.

The text of the email I was forwarded is as follows, maybe I am gullible, but it sounds believable to me.

[FONT=Arial]"I am sending this email out to all of you in the hopes that someone might be able to help me. I am sure you all can understand how devastating it is to have someone come into your home/barn and take whatever they want without a conscience. Well, last June I had someone come into my barn and steal my Hennig dressage saddle. I had no clue who did it so, after reporting it to the police, I let it go. There was very little I could do about it. The one thing I did do was to have surveillance cameras installed through out my barn. I did it for "peace of mind" but I really didn't believe it would happen again. I was wrong, last night I had two more saddles stolen. I can't believe that someone would come right in my barn and take anything they wanted, but they did. The good news is, I have the whole thing on video. Attached are some of the pictures of the two young girls that broke into my barn in the middle of the night and stole two saddles. Hopefully, someone will recognize them as the photos get around. What I really want is my saddles back. I believe that people are desperate right now and feel a barn (that you can't lock up) is an easy target, but I hope if I give them a little bit of time they will return my saddles and not risk prosecution. I am sure that I will eventually find the girls who did it but it would be easier if someone recognized them and let me know who they are,sooner then later. Eventually, I will hire a private investigator to find and prosecute the thieves. I have a full video and many more pictures for anyone that might recognize these two girls."[/FONT]
    Let me see if I understand you. The farm owner has had a previous break-in, could afford to put surveillance cameras around and throughout the barn, but can't afford a latch and lock for her tack room door(s)?!?!?!

This is a farce and a hoax.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    It strikes me how absolutely healthy, well - fed and well - dressed these two are. So much for my philosophy that theft is usually conducted by those in dire straights.

These girls look like they want for nothing.
    Have you ever meet a starving equestrienne?

These girls absolutely ride. They probably just wanted a new saddle.

I dunno Im with the person who smells a hoax..... It just seems odd to me.
    Shouldnt the video have been given to the police to evaluate and try to identify? Was there no lock on the tack room door?

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I could have really done without the creepy voiceover.
    ^Ditto this.

It also seems kind of sketch to me, esp the lack of a lock on the door .

If it is real then do as others have said. Send the link to the police and post flyers with a still pic of the girls in all the tack stores/feed stores in the area as well as horse shows.

Just a note, I have seen very few locks on tack room doors, and I have been doing this for around 30 years.