The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A trillion flies in my house!

Ok, so a 'trillion" is a bit exaggerated, but seems to be the word of the week. Does anyone else have a family of flies (50 and growing) that are starting to emerge and hang around your upstairs windows? They appeared in the fall.... died and now are back with a vengence. I live in a spotless house, so it cant be because of filth.... they are driving us nutz!! Its not even fly season yet!!!
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingGrape View Post
    Ok, so a 'trillion" is a bit exaggerated, but seems to be the word of the week. Does anyone else have a family of flies (50 and growing) that are starting to emerge and hang around your upstairs windows? They appeared in the fall.... died and now are back with a vengence. I live in a spotless house, so it cant be because of filth.... they are driving us nutz!! Its not even fly season yet!!!
    I lived in a rental house that had this kind of fly in that kind of quantity, too. I call them window flies!

I just vacuumed them up every day to keep the numbers down. I figured they were feeding on dust or something - they were always in the upstairs windows!

If the house has an attic than use a bug fogger in the attic. When we built our house I figured we trapped them out there. They tended to emerge on the warm days. Once I fogged the attic, the problem dropped by 99%

They are indoor cluster flies. Disgusting, gross, nasty things. I find that keeping a bottle of horse fly spray at hand is very gratifying to nail the bastards. However, it will slime up your windows. Best solution is to Dustbuster them away, as many as you can. They are seasonal and sometimes you don't get them at all. My house was infested with them a year and a half ago, but they haven't returned since then.

ETA: I live nowhere near a barn or any livestock - totally suburban. They don't come from manure.
    Last edited by Guin; Mar. 11, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Yep, every spring when the weather starts to warm up. This is gross but I got those sticky fly strips you can put around your windows. I'd rather have dead stuck flies than hundreds of them buzzing around.

This is probably not the case for you, but you might want to double check and make sure it's not a termite swarm. I know, very icky and probably not the problem here, but this actually happened to me when I lived in my condo. I thought I had a terrible fly problem in my kitchen window until we figured out it was termites.

I, personally, would have burned the place down and started over, but the other condo owners probably would have been peeved about that. Instead, the condo association treated it very agressively and the problem never recurred. Just something to cross off your list.

Lord, I hate bugs!
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

Not flies but ladybugs. Still. From last summer. I sweep them up and the next day they are back. Never ending.

We get the Japanese beetles (look like ladybugs with orange backs) as well as the window flies. I HATE them! I usually just vacuum them up but I like the idea of fogging the attic. Off to the store to purchase a fogger! Thanks!
    In the summer we get flies from everyone running in and out of the house. We come in/out through a big country kitchen. Last summer I put up a fly strip hanging from the light in the center of the ceiling. Quite embarASSing when company came over but a better alternative to having flies swarming about! After a few beers, I'm sure they didn't notice it at all!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry roan View Post
    Not flies but ladybugs. Still. From last summer. I sweep them up and the next day they are back. Never ending.
    We have them too. All over. In the bathroom, bedrooms, kitchen. First year I have ever seen them like this and we've been in this house for 15 years!
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

We got those darn ladybug type things too. They come out like clock work every year

We have them in Upstate NY and they are Cluster Flies. I have the house sprayed (exterior only) and they literally fall out of the siding. Quite disgusting, but the spraying yearly takes care of them as well as the Paper Wasps that nest in the eaves of the house too. When I moved up here, I thought I was in a bad Hitchcock movie when I saw the 1,000's of flies in the guest bedroom. Check with a pest controil expert. The lady bugs work too...

So sorry, I've been there! A few winters ago, I had what can only be called an "infestation" of flies in my home. Thousands of them. No idea why. I didn't do anything to get rid of them other than swatting and hoping they would leave. I kept thinking, it's TOO COLD for all these flies, and yet, there they were. It was embarrassing to have people over. Didn't have a thing to do with cleanliness - they seemed to like my bedroom, as that was the warmest room in the house. And then, just like that, they were gone. I must have vacuumed up a ton of them. But they haven't been back for the past 2 winters. Strange but true - here's hoping this will be a one time thing for the OP as well!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

AaaaRrrrGgggHhhh!
    I have the Japanese beetles too - here they call them "bean beetles" because they're at their worst when the soybeans are harvested.
    If I recall correctly they were imported to deal with aphids on the beans.
    Great idea.....NOT!

They only look like ladybugs - these things bite!
    And when you squoosh them they stink!

An old remedy here is to put bay leaves where you see them and it drives them away. WTH: can't hurt and the bay leaves can't hurt any pet that might get into them.
    I just keep a decorative bowl of bay leaves on my coffee table all Summer.
    Time to bring out the bowl.....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

We have lovebugs. They are the worst. Their bug juice will eat the paint off your car. Hate them.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Thanks for the great ideas... my shop vac is now filled with a trillion flies... which I'm about to dump outside where they belong!
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

On ebay you can get all natural traps for both the cluster flys and the ladybugs.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3D12%26ps%3D35

We had tons in our house and these traps have really helped clear them up.