The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default got itchy itchy - help

My roommate and I both have itchy red bumps, probably brought into the house by her long-haired barn dog. They start out looking like and feeling like mosquito bites but when scratched quickly look like little scabs and then stay around for a week? or so. Mine are mostly on my legs and upper body and hers are on right arm, shoulder, back. It's not fleas and I have looked with a flashlight for any creepy crawlies and can't find anything. I do most notice at night when I've been outside doing barn stuff, etc. The bumps are not close together like scabies nor in patterns like bed bugs. HELP! Itchy itchy is NO FUN. *vet did exam dog scrapings off ear for mites under microscope and couldn't find anything. Dogs dipped and bathed. Maybe we are getting them outside and not inside??

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Sounds suspiciously like black flies or 'no-see-ums'. Some people are more allergic than others.

Can't help much except dust liberally with Gold Bond powder.

(I'm itching just typing this...)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by IPHF View Post
    My roommate and I both have itchy red bumps, probably brought into the house by her long-haired barn dog. They start out looking like and feeling like mosquito bites but when scratched quickly look like little scabs and then stay around for a week? or so. Mine are mostly on my legs and upper body and hers are on right arm, shoulder, back. It's not fleas and I have looked with a flashlight for any creepy crawlies and can't find anything. I do most notice at night when I've been outside doing barn stuff, etc. The bumps are not close together like scabies nor in patterns like bed bugs. HELP! Itchy itchy is NO FUN. *vet did exam dog scrapings off ear for mites under microscope and couldn't find anything. Dogs dipped and bathed. Maybe we are getting them outside and not inside??
    have a look at ringworm people can catch that of horses cats or dogs and its not unheard off
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...QDyEGgDD89E48g

Another vote for chiggers! (Nasty little devils)
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Question nurse weighs in!

I vote scabies....been there, done that.....you may just have hives as the itchy rash. Not all scabies is visible. See a dermatologist pronto! You'll need to get the special all over body shampoo AND treat your environment. And treat your dogs/pets etc.

You can get from hay or barn dogs. Go - to- the-doctors.....now!!

I had something like this last summer. I saw a dermatologist, and they kept insisting that the itchy red bumps were bites. However, after fumigating the house, washing the pets, and generally decontaminating the environment, I decided that they had to be some other sort of allergy.
    The only relief I got was from Zyrtec. Benadryl did nothing, and neither did topical stuff (both prescription and over the counter).
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    I vote scabies....been there, done that.....you may just have hives as the itchy rash. Not all scabies is visible. See a dermatologist pronto! You'll need to get the special all over body shampoo AND treat your environment. And treat your dogs/pets etc.

You can get from hay or barn dogs. Go - to- the-doctors.....now!!
    i also vote scabies you can catch that from anyone depending if yo new tenants in your house as well

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    I had something like this last summer. I saw a dermatologist, and they kept insisting that the itchy red bumps were bites. However, after fumigating the house, washing the pets, and generally decontaminating the environment, I decided that they had to be some other sort of allergy.
    The only relief I got was from Zyrtec. Benadryl did nothing, and neither did topical stuff (both prescription and over the counter).
    Sounds exactly like what I went thru last summer. I've never had anything itch so bad before in my life and I never did find out what it was. It took a good month for it to go away.

Benadryl did help and I'm not itching so much today but my old dog, who NEVER has itched in his 15 years, has been scratching and so I gave him a 2nd special "kill the bugs" pill roomy got from vet...and he was itching still. Some old farmer said it might be "grass mites"?? Anyone heard of that (google wasn't real clear on that)? Scabies is way worse than what we have...
    *BTW "roomy" has a very interesting life which I do not indulge in so not sure if it was her dog or what she might have brought home! LOL

A little OT, but can dogs get scabies?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Default Straw Itch Mites?

Might be a case of Straw Mites?

http://www.bugspray.com/article/itchmites.html

Sure sounds like it!! I use straw and my roomy's long haired dog LAYS in it all the time! Thanks...

Spot your dog with frontline or advantagex.

And all of you including the dog, use benedryl everyday.

Default Common misdiagnosed skin problem

Nope, not skin problem. Going to call co. extension agent tomorrow and get them out to check out bites and hay and DOGS. Barn dog went with me to get hay the other day and today spent 2 hours in truck and when I got home was covered with bites and itching worse than ever! Took benadryl, sprayed down truck and changed sheets and took a shower and now drinking wine. Maybe I'll get some sleep?? If anyone has more ideas, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. We are desperate here! *and boyfriend comes back this weekend...YIKES.

Quote Originally Posted by RegentLion View Post
    A little OT, but can dogs get scabies?
    Yes. I think pretty much anything with a pulse can get scabies.

I've had straw itch mites and for me, there were a fair proportion of bites that looked like welts, rather than mosquito bites. they were mainly on my torso.

Internet was down for a few days...so here's update! Bites continue to migrate from left leg to right leg and a few around torso, arms, etc. Icing them down helped and now doing alcohol rub...just getting desperate to get rid of these buggers! Can I give them to a "friend?"...(he's back from the south after the winter!). How did you get rid of them "easyrider"?