I am a ding dong and voted for the wrong thing. I meant to vote that no, it's not changing our plans and we're still breeding... but I voted "yes" (the first category). We're going on a wing and a prayer!
Is yet another one of these dang threads necessary....or even helpful?!?!
THANK YOU!!! I come to these boards to get some stress relief from the "real world". And gee, thanks OP, it's kinda hard to "change plans" when you have them already on the way. (said nicely, but still...c'mon!)
These types of threads may be as depressing and stressful as the economy, but the reality is that the economy IS bad and horse sales ARE down, and it's a good thing for responsible breeders to keep that in mind as they make their breeding plans for this year.
No matter how much you beat a mule, it will never become a race horse.
I didn't breed last year and was hoping to breed just one this year. Then my stallion got something stuck in his hoof and needed surgery: $3000. Then one of my mares lacerated her shoulder on a gate somehow and had to go to the clinic to be debrided, lavaged and stitched: $3,600. So, I now need to sell my 3 year old that I really wanted to keep before I even think of the expense of another one I've bred 5 and sold 3. One day I would love to be able to actually KEEP one of my babies. The 3 year old is wonderful. Don't know how I'll be able to part with him.
I only know one thing for sure at this point...I am cutting back on breeding this year but I may breed one/two mares and leave the rest open. I really have not decided but since I own my own stallions, I don't have to do a lot of advance planning with a stallion owner.
Oddly enough I have more breedings lined up from outside mares this year than I've had in a while...not sure what that means.
Due to my husband getting laid off in mid January, I had to postpone my 1 breeding for this year. The s/o was kind enough to extend my breeding contract to next year. I would/will be doing AI/shipped semen, from quite a distance. So it was an unnecessary expense at this point.
The WSB is due in late May, the 3 year old needs to get started under saddle and hopefully will get sold sometime this year, so I'll still have plenty to keep me busy!
The state of the economy is depressing, but you can't hide your head in the sand. Now is the time to think with our heads, hunker down, and do our best day by day.
Y'know, I really hope that most of our breeding programs are based on more than a 2-month economic picture....a great bloodline is forever!!!
You could breed next year and still have a great bloodline. It isn't going to vanish unless you have an ancient broodmare who may or may not get you another foal and presumably you would have kept a filly or two to continue the line if you have a long term breeding program.