The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: have you changed your plans

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I intend to breed

14 18.18%
  • yes, I do not intend to breed

12 15.58%
  • no, I am/was going to breed

21 27.27%
  • no, I wasn't/am not going to breed

9 11.69%
  • I am going to breed less

21 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have you changed your plans?

Given the state of the economy over the past 2 months have you changed your breeding plans?

Y?N?Y?N!!! I won't know until it's over. Peg
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

I am going to breed for two foals. My intention is to sell one, but if I don't it I sure wouldn't mind keeping them both!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I am a ding dong and voted for the wrong thing. I meant to vote that no, it's not changing our plans and we're still breeding... but I voted "yes" (the first category). We're going on a wing and a prayer!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Is yet another one of these dang threads necessary....or even helpful?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by selah View Post
    Is yet another one of these dang threads necessary....or even helpful?!?!

THANK YOU!!! I come to these boards to get some stress relief from the "real world". And gee, thanks OP, it's kinda hard to "change plans" when you have them already on the way. (said nicely, but still...c'mon!)

These types of threads may be as depressing and stressful as the economy, but the reality is that the economy IS bad and horse sales ARE down, and it's a good thing for responsible breeders to keep that in mind as they make their breeding plans for this year.
    No matter how much you beat a mule, it will never become a race horse.

I was curious if specifically the past 3 months had changed anyone's minds, in favor or against. If people were more, or less, optimistic. Sorry if that is too 'real world' for some.

20% of people are optimistic/positive enough to have changed their plans TO breed.

If the poll is accurate because it is a little confusing and someone already voted that they voted for the wrong thing.

Choices are confusing. Not sure you will get any acurate result. Tend to agree, do we need another one of these... yawn...yawn
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

I was already downsizing, and the death of my husband brought it all to a screeching halt.
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

Geez, I'm really very sorry for your loss.

I didn't breed last year and was hoping to breed just one this year. Then my stallion got something stuck in his hoof and needed surgery: $3000. Then one of my mares lacerated her shoulder on a gate somehow and had to go to the clinic to be debrided, lavaged and stitched: $3,600. So, I now need to sell my 3 year old that I really wanted to keep before I even think of the expense of another one I've bred 5 and sold 3. One day I would love to be able to actually KEEP one of my babies. The 3 year old is wonderful. Don't know how I'll be able to part with him.

I only know one thing for sure at this point...I am cutting back on breeding this year but I may breed one/two mares and leave the rest open. I really have not decided but since I own my own stallions, I don't have to do a lot of advance planning with a stallion owner.

Oddly enough I have more breedings lined up from outside mares this year than I've had in a while...not sure what that means.

Due to my husband getting laid off in mid January, I had to postpone my 1 breeding for this year. The s/o was kind enough to extend my breeding contract to next year. I would/will be doing AI/shipped semen, from quite a distance. So it was an unnecessary expense at this point.
    The WSB is due in late May, the 3 year old needs to get started under saddle and hopefully will get sold sometime this year, so I'll still have plenty to keep me busy!

The state of the economy is depressing, but you can't hide your head in the sand. Now is the time to think with our heads, hunker down, and do our best day by day.

3GM

Thank you tri. We don't always agree, but thanks - I am doing OK, just had to reconfigure my business plan.
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

Puts everything in perspective, doesn't it - what is important in life. My prayers are with you.

Y'know, I really hope that most of our breeding programs are based on more than a 2-month economic picture....a great bloodline is forever!!!

Y'know, I really hope that most of our breeding programs are based on more than a 2-month economic picture....a great bloodline is forever!!!
    You could breed next year and still have a great bloodline. It isn't going to vanish unless you have an ancient broodmare who may or may not get you another foal and presumably you would have kept a filly or two to continue the line if you have a long term breeding program.

SO true!