The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Fly Sheet for Blanket Destroyer

I definitely need to get my guy a fly sheet this summer, he's out 24/7 and got TORN up by flies last year. My problem is that he's hard on blankets. He has a 7 year-old original Rambo Heavyweight and a new Dover Northwind Mediumweight and these are the only 2 blankets he owns that he has yet to tear up.

That being said, is there a fly sheet out there that will fit a shark-finned TB and NOT rip?

I've read some of the threads on fly sheets, but want some more opinions before I spend the money.

Are the Rambo Protector or Kensington worth the money??

If not, has anyone had luck with the Schneider's fly sheets or the Centaur one with neck cover?

Thanks!!

Don't bother with ANYTHING that isn't textilene or the equivalent. No nylon, no polyester. It's gotta be the plastic-y material or the horse WILL shred it.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

This fly sheet is incredible. I have this one and a Rambo (Older one, green and thick mesh), and this one has actually held up much better (absolutley postively no rips!) and horse is on group turnout with blanket eaters. Its a thick plastic type mesh, my horse wore it 24/7 in the summer rain or shine and it was incredible.

The company is mainly in Canada, but they ship to the US for very reasonable rates. This sheet is on sale until April 1st at $73 us.

http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/S...ef1+1235653426

I like the Kensington fly sheets. I left one on my mare all summer with very minimal damage. No holes, but the fabric pulled very slightly. Which I though was pretty good since I leave it on 24/7 and she is a roller.

Kensington protective sheet. Hands down the best.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Chaskit makes a fly sheet (www.chaskit.com) and their products are pretty indestructible. It's more expensive, but that cost/benefit to not having to repair it every 3 days could make it worth it...

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to end up with the Kensington...everyone raves about them. I'm just nervous about the fit because he has such high withers....

No one has any experience with the Rambo Protector??

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    Kensington protective sheet. Hands down the best.
    Ditto...Again, and again!!! They are great!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Quote Originally Posted by Riley0522 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to end up with the Kensington...everyone raves about them. I'm just nervous about the fit because he has such high withers....

No one has any experience with the Rambo Protector??
    If that is the oatmeal one trimmed with brown then yes I have it. My horse is an idiot and wrecks everything and that one made it through last year without any damage. I am very impressed with it.

Just checked out the Kensington. It looks much like the same material as the Rambo to me. I will stick with the Rambo as it has a much nicer cut for my big shouldered, oddly built thbd. I did find it interesting that they suggest you use the sheet to protect your other rugs....wish I had thought of that 1 Rambo and a Bucas ago!

How could you resist this? http://www.horseware.com/usa/flyprot...toradlarge.asp
    I'll take it!
    Last edited by sisu27; Feb. 27, 2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: googled Kensington
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I'll take one for a weekend...ahem...er...I mean ...you know.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Rambo all the way!!! I have the Kensington AND Rambo Flybuster, the Kensington rubs badly and isn't as cool as the Rambo.

Thanks!! I was hoping to hear good things about the Rambo because I found it for the same price as the Kensington and it comes with the neck cover. I've also heard the Kensington can slip back and move a lot, and my poor guy's withers cannot take that!

Kensington
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC