The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hunt coat for short torso- long arms?

Any ideas on what I can do? Everything off the rack is to short for my arms. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Try the Elite. I have the same build exactly and have trouble with coats that are cut long enough in the arm. You may have luck with the Elite, I did.

Order a Grand prix, pick ur fabric & lining, but get the sleeves made longer for u.

How pricey is a Grand Prix if made to order like that?

I'm not sure on exact $ figures, but, depending on the choice of fabric, you can get a very nice coat for a reasonable price. Add on a small fee (maybe $30?) for additional sleeve length. Or try looking for a coat with extra fabric already in the sleeve-just have a tailor let it out.

There is a lot of extra fabric in the sleeves of RJ Classics coats.

I get Grand Prix coats in the short length and have the sleeves let out by a tailor.

Thanks so much everyone. I'll see what I can come up with. My horse is a green OTTB so I have several months to work with!

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    Any ideas on what I can do? Everything off the rack is to short for my arms. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I Have the same problem! Its so frustrating! I LOVE the way the Wellington Collection coats fit. I actually had the owner fit me and for the first time she put me in a short in the next size up. All I have to do is get it taken in a little on the sides but the sleeves are perfect and I love the shorter length. These coats are much more affordable then the Grand Prix's if you are on a budget

None of the Grand Prix jackets ever fit me right which surprised me for a $400+ jacket. I actually found a Tailored Sportsman jacket that fit beautifully (I also have a very short torso, thin, and have very long arms). It fit everywhere very nicely with a nice, clean tailored look to it (and for half the price of the GP jackets). If you're anything like me, try and find a TS jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    Grand Prix arms are shorter than RJ Classic. I know this because I have a petite frame, but very long arms. The Grand Prix are too short, but the RJs fit very well.

I second the Grand Prix coats. You can custom order them for no extra charge (at least this is how it was when I got my last coat)... pick an appropriate body size, whatever sleeve length you want, and a colored lining.

I'm 5'10" and around 130lbs, so finding coats that fit has always been a bit of a challenge. Sleeves kind of want to do this.

I have a 12T with 4" added to the sleeves, and it fits beautifully. I'm legendary at Maryland Saddlery.

A standing shot (I'm fifth from the right, holding the long ribbon)
    Last edited by Lazy Palomino Hunter; Feb. 3, 2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: clarity :)

I have very long arms and am only 5'3" tall.
    The only coats that fit are Marigolds. Off the rack they fit like custom.
    The Grand prix are a joke on me, huge through the waist, too tight in the shoulder and arms that don't even cover my wrist.
    I highly recommend the Marigold; best fit if you have a small waist, long arms and normal shoulders.