The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Murphy's Oil Soap

So I am a long time believer in Murphy's Oil Soap. The paste/gel form, not the liquid. I love the stuff, it's cheap, it's foamy, it supples my tack! I used many different types of saddle soaps before settling on this one.

However, I can no longer find it! My tack stores aren't carrying it, Dover has discontinued it, Smart Pak has been "out of stock" for two months, and I even tried ordering it from a household cleaner company before they informed me that they too, could no longer obtain it. The Murphy's website doesn't list it as one of their products, but I'm not sure if they ever did.

So basically, my question is to ask if anyone might know where to obtain it. I also would like to know if anyone knows of any similar products. Is Hydrophane Lanolised Soap similar? If there is nothing similar, what products keep your tack clean AND supple? I clean my tack daily, including my saddle, so I don't like plain glycerine as it is too harsh IMO for daily use. I also don't like products such as Horseman's One Step as I think it leaves my tack feeling gooky, as well as melting in my tack trunk in the summer in 100 degree heat. I can handle a little melting (because let's face it, what doesn't melt in that heat?) but not downright soup.

Anyways, I just need some advice on tack soap.

I use Castile soap on mine. It's a hard white bar, and most tack stores carry it. Pretty sure BoB does. It has a white wrapper with blue type on it. It's very mild.

I am pretty sure I got my jar at Bevals this fall, you might want to call them.

I get mine from the grocery store. I also use the liquid. You might want to ask at your local grocer or hardware store.

Murphy's works great on wooden floors and linoleum! It seals the top and leaves a nice shine. It does the same thing to leather...the downside being that it seals the pores of the leather. If you rinse it off everytime you clean tack, your leather can still absorb conditioners. If you don't, your tack will shine but the body of the leather will dry out and eventually crack. I hate Murphy's! I would only use it as a last minute polish before going in the show ring then as soon as I got home, I would rinse it off. I have seen too many bridles destroyed by Murphy's! JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lessonlady View Post
    Murphy's works great on wooden floors and linoleum! It seals the top and leaves a nice shine. It does the same thing to leather...the downside being that it seals the pores of the leather. If you rinse it off everytime you clean tack, your leather can still absorb conditioners. If you don't, your tack will shine but the body of the leather will dry out and eventually crack. I hate Murphy's! I would only use it as a last minute polish before going in the show ring then as soon as I got home, I would rinse it off. I have seen too many bridles destroyed by Murphy's! JMHO.

I don't know the answer, but I've been using it for years, and all my saddles, bridles, etc., are in tip-top condition. I do apply neatsfoot oil from time to time . . . and sometimes use other leather cleaners, but mostly Murphy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lessonlady View Post

I generally get a good lather, wipe off all my tack, then wipe off my soaped up tack with a clean cloth. I have been doing this every time I ride (and I mean EVERY time) for two years now and my tack is amazingly nice, not shiny (which I hate) but supple and soft. Since it's working wonderfully for me, I was hoping to stick with it, but obviously I can't if they stopped making it. :-(

I'm sorry if it doesn't work for you, but I definitely agree that you shouldn't use something that doesn't work! I definitely wouldn't use Murphy's if I didn't like the results! To each his own, right?

Murphys is everywhere- the grocery store, hardware store, farm and fleet. I wouldnt think to look in a horse catalog for it even.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffyn View Post
    Murphys is everywhere- the grocery store, hardware store, farm and fleet. I wouldnt think to look in a horse catalog for it even.
    The liquid version is everywhere, and I would definitely not use it on my tack. I've tried it, it's messy, complicated (you have to mix it with water), and doesn't seem to work the same for me. I can walk into Walmart and buy the liquid.

I'm looking for the paste/gel type. That is what seems to be MIA. If that is also available in grocery/hardware stores in your area, please let me know. It is definitely not present in these stores in my area.

I'm able to find the paste/gel in the jar kind at my grocery store. It's usually on the bottom shelf, with the other floor cleaners.

eta: maybe they're not making it any more? It's not listed on their website: http://www.colgate.com/app/MurphyOil.../Products.cwsp

I just checked around and it seems it is no longer in production, despite being on the manuf website. I'd contact the manuf.

What a pity, now I want to try it. Guess I'll have to patrol the local hardware stores to see if there is any remaining.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

The gel is far superior. I used to be able to find it best in the hardware store. Perhaps if I find it I will hoarde.

However, the liquid works pretty darn well if you do NOT dilute. I put it in an old hand-soap pump bottle. I use polarfleece rags mostly, as sponges tend to get too much lather going. Soap onto rag onto leather... then rinse with a very well wrung WARM rag. Result is supple, clean leather which I only grease up with Lederbalsm once a year or so.

I don't clean daily as I don't ride in a dusty environment (I wipe sweat if needed) but do clean often as I borderline OCD about my tack. If only I cared so much about my house.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Oh--FWIW, avoid the *spray* version like the plague. IT is awful. Seems like all water and lacquer and no 'clean' and no 'condition.' JME
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I use the liquid, but don't dilute it. Similar to PintoP except I use a warm slightly damp sponge. I've been using it for years, never had any problems.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    I'm looking for the paste/gel type. That is what seems to be MIA. If that is also available in grocery/hardware stores in your area, please let me know. It is definitely not present in these stores in my area.
    Try Country Max.....That is where I picked up my last jar....But, honestly it was quite a while ago, so they may not carry it anymore..
    Crayola Posse: Mulberry

When tack is really dirty, like after hunting or very sweaty, there is nothing like Murphy's in my book. I prefer the gel, but have used the liquid. Used it for thirty years or so.

I don't care for it either. Leaves leather tacky feeling and can stain some white stitching orange. I'm skeptical of using something on leather that is recommended for cleaning wood.

I find the Murphy's Paste to be a different consistancy(sp) to the spray. The last store I saw it at was a Meijers(don't think they have those in your neck of the woods though). Perhaps go to the Murphy's website?

Karen
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I found some of the paste on ebay; that's my go-to resource for anything that's been discontinued. I had to sort through a lot of the liquid, but found several sellers with the tub form.