The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Feedback needed for Xrays of ouchy horse (Xrays now posted) UPDATED

Here is a link to the Xrays:

Right foot

Left Leg

So, here's the story:

Maaco - 4 year old 16.1 HH Paint horse came to the farm on Oct. 31st for training. His feet were in horrible shape, but were much better after a good trim job. He has done wonderfully in training, but in the past few weeks - during which we had TONS of rain - he started getting pretty ouchy. I did the usual - painting the soles, soaking in Lysol, using Keratex - and he started getting slightly better, however his toes kept wearing down. Then his owner took him on a trail ride - not his first one here - and came up pretty ouchy the next day. I started Bute, and had his farrier - who was there for another horse - look at him. Maaco was very reactive on the hoof testers, and there was a slight bulging on soles of his toes. Farrier said it was from him pawing....only, the horse doesn't paw.

That's when I starting wondering if he wasn't getting Lamanitic, so I called my own farrier out. She applied casting tape, which he promptly destroyed the next day. That's when she put front shoes on him, to prevent him from wearing his toes down, and the medial sides of his hoof wall, and rubber pour in pads, for support.

Three days ago we had our Dentist - who is also a DVM - Xray him to make sure there was no rotation. These are the Xrays that will be posted here ASAP. I would love y'alls thoughts on them - specifically if you think there has been any rotation. I will post what the vet and farrier both thought, after y'all see the Xrays.
    Last edited by Freebird!; Jan. 22, 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Why does it have to be posted by a Premium member?

Photobucket.com = free and stupidly simple to use. Flickr.com isn't too far behind. Webshots.com is the easiest of all, but I can't stand their interface and they make the viewer jump thru big hoops to see a full-size large image.

Oh i can use those, I just thought it would be easier to have the pictures attached to the thread.

Xrays posted in first post - thanks in advance for your feedback!

Does not look like the coffin bones have rotated, however the sole bulges would concern me and I would immediately address diet and remove any grains and/or alfalfa he might be getting.

What does concern me though is the right front. It almost looks to me like the CB is tsarting to slightly tip up in the front and on it way of having a negative palmar angle.

Also , how much are this horse's soles trimmed when his hooves get done? Over trimming the soles can also lead to issues like this! Also it lookes to me that the heels in the LF are too high.

The soles are not trimmed at all - other then to take of any callouses etc. in the way.

His diet is being addressed, and he is being switched to Triple Crown Complete. Unfortunately, he is still underweight, so it is a catch 22 between reducing carbs, but not allowing him to drop weight. Thanks for your feedback!

Could he be underweight because of other medical conditions like ulcers or Cushings? Cushings could certainly be a cause of a horse coming up so sore.

I think my eyes are bleeding. Gosh we have gotten spoiled w/digital!

How thick did the vet measure these soles to be? Palmer angle?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

The angle on the right front does look close to zero.

The left looks odd to me -- the junction between pastern and coffin bone.

The left looks odd to me -- the junction between pastern and coffin bone.
    I thought that too! The alignment looks off, unless the horse loaded the hoof in an unusual way during exposure.

Is it possible to post photos? I would like to see photos to go with the x-rays.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Is it possible to post photos? I would like to see photos to go with the x-rays.

How about examining the RF rad? Here are points of interests I came up with, the original rad is worthless for lateral opines of the feet:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s.../Maaco_008.jpg

JD-what is going on at the bottom arrows? Some kind of demineralization?

So what do you those angles tell you as far as the hoof? Breakover too far forward creating the angles you pointed out up higher?

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    JD-what is going on at the bottom arrows? Some kind of demineralization?

So what do you those angles tell you as far as the hoof? Breakover too far forward creating the angles you pointed out up higher?

Top to bottom~~~

Fetlock- roughing of the sesamoid(sesamoiditis)
    Fetlock joint- lack of joint spacings
    Pastern- lack of joint spacing comparatively to the LF

Foot~~ hard to give an opine, not a true lateral; caudal portion of the foot lacks good sole depth; looks like a heel crack of some sorts or broken bar.
    Again the foot portion of the rad is up for interpetation not "REAL" confirmation because of the angle of the shot taken.

To me the heels are way to high putting pressure on the coffin bone. Especially on the left. The break over is also to far forward.

I'll try and get some "real life" pictures of him asap. Thans for the feedback so far!

For those shots, put the camera on the ground: take straight on, both sides and then sole. Also get shots from the knees down and a good conformation body side shot
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CatchaBreeze View Post
    To me the heels are way to high putting pressure on the coffin bone. Especially on the left. The break over is also to far forward.
    If that was true he would not have a ground parallel coffin bone on the right front, which he appears to have in the x-ray.

I'm not a vet nor a farrier. But I have had a horse that had laminitis with rotation.

I do not see any rotation, but I do see something funky at the coffin/pastern bone junction on the LF. The angle is not the same, looks like there's jamming going on.
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    If that was true he would not have a ground parallel coffin bone on the right front, which he appears to have in the x-ray.
    No, he does not.