The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Round Bales- My horses are PIGS!- Any opinions on the "big bale buddy"?

Last sat. I put a roundbale in the field for my 3 horses- well 5 days later they have decimated it! Does anyone else have this problem? How can I slow down thier eating? a muzzle? a roundbale feeder?

I guess I could go to throwing flakes, but the TB mare that needs it, is lowest in the pecking order. She wouldnt get anything before the other beasts devour it!

Anyone else have this problem or know of a good solution?

TIA!
    Last edited by Ritaroo; Dec. 17, 2008 at 01:46 PM.

I won't set out roundbales for the same reason. I put it on a pallet beside the fence (out of reach) on the flat side and unroll it and fork it over in normal portions! It's the only way to feed them if you have easy keepers or horses that gorge themselves.

I feel your pain. My mare is pasture boarded with a giant round bale, plenty of grass, and she gets grain 2x a day. She looks like she's about to foal. (sigh) I've increased her excercise, which seems to be helping.

Good luck with that one!

http://www.bigbalebuddy.com/page/page/2674952.htm
    Worth every cent. I put mine in the center of the run in sheds (one is 56' long by 14' for 4 horses and one is 20' by 14' with two horses). My boys used to be unbelievable pigs but this has slowed them down plus made daily picking up so much easier. I've always been too scared of the regular feeders, even plastic because I know my horses would find some way to kill themselves with one. The worst they do with this is drag it the last day before refill... like waving a flag, "Hey you! More food!"
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

The first time I bought a round bale my 3 did that also. Now I put the round bale in a stall, and pull it off for them about 3 times a day. You also have to be careful, some horses will colic if they eat too much all at once. You will have to find a way to seperate your horses so the TB will get enough to eat.
    "Humans will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple,
    or more direct than does Nature." ~Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    Worth every cent. I put mine in the center of the run in sheds (one is 56' long by 14' for 4 horses and one is 20' by 14' with two horses). My boys used to be unbelievable pigs but this has slowed them down plus made daily picking up so much easier. I've always been too scared of the regular feeders, even plastic because I know my horses would find some way to kill themselves with one. The worst they do with this is drag it the last day before refill... like waving a flag, "Hey you! More food!"
    What is it made out of? Looks like canvas or some other type of bag? Oh, polypropylene. I wonder how long it will last? Like a giant hay bag! Sounds like a good idea as long as they don't tear it up.
    "Humans will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple,
    or more direct than does Nature." ~Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by 12hooves View Post
    What is it made out of? Looks like canvas or some other type of bag?
    The site says it's woven polypropylene. Supposedly water will pass through but I keep mine under cover and on mats anyway. Putting them on bales the first couple times is insane! They stretch a little eventually though and it gets easier. They're really cool, as the horses eat the bale down, the elasticized top collapses down onto itself to continue holding the hay in. They've saved me a lot in money and time since my boys used to like to tear the bales apart and pee in them (well just one was the pee-er but he ruined it for everyone)
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    That bale buddy looks like a great idea! Is it tough?- I just know if there is a way for my mare to rip it, and eat it - she will!

Its either that or the two big fatties are being put back in their summer muzzles.

And I am aware of the colic dangers- I have been watching them like a hawk and they have reduced hay/feed when they come inside now.

So far they've been really tough. My girls are princesses and don't mess with it or even poop in their shed. The boys.... they're gross! The pee-er will drag it around when it's almost empty and paw at it but it doesn't have a nick yet. Has saved me sooo much in hay and time. I used to have to use my little kawasaki dumpbed to clean their shed everyday because they'd mash all the hay into these giant gross pee wads. At least now I just use a wheelbarrow to pick... not like they don't have bedding in there. Just pigs!

I have three horses too, and my two TB's know when to walk away. The draft cross, OTOH, will stand at the round bale ALL day. So I asked his owner to buy him a muzzle. I am getting new round bales delivered today, so he'll wear the muzzle for part of the day. I hate to do it, but it's for his own good.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Ok, that bale buddy thing COMPLETELY intrigues me, but I cannot "flip" my bales. They are the really big rounds, 750-800lbs. I can not move them, generally, if they land flat side down...

Have you used them in that kind of situation?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default I have a bale buddy

it works really well too! My bales weigh around 500-600lbs and my husband and I move them all around by hand. I think if they are bigger then that you would need a tractor with a bale spike. I have had mine since last feb and it is wearing like iron even with my bale buddy attack geldings. there is a 1 year guarantee on it too. I would buy another in a heartbeat!

How does it actually slow down their eating? I can see where they'd waste less but what is to stop them from standing there and eating all day? As they eat the hay also, do you have to fold it back out of the way? I'm trying to picture 4-5 horses fighting over the privilege of sticking their head in a hole to eat and it's not a pretty picture...but I may not understand how it actually work either.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    How does it actually slow down their eating? I can see where they'd waste less but what is to stop them from standing there and eating all day? As they eat the hay also, do you have to fold it back out of the way? I'm trying to picture 4-5 horses fighting over the privilege of sticking their head in a hole to eat and it's not a pretty picture...but I may not understand how it actually work either.
    I have the same picture in my head! but in the pictures on the website it looks like there is enough room for my three to fit around.

How much would you say it slowed down their eating??

It doesn't slow them down really but they can't grab pieces and throw them the way they would if you just had a bale ring on it. I had 5 horses on it last year and 4 this year and they are all very content to eat this way. They bicker more with each other when they are grazing in the summer then they do with the feeder out there. ( they have 15 acres available at that point) My horses are eating 2nd cutting timothy/clover and get no grain at all since eating is all they do in the winter. yes, my little paint mare gets chunky but works her butt off in the summer and starts out with a nice figure in the fall. No one has colicked doing this and I have fed them round bales free choice for the last 12 years. The bale buddy keeps the hay from blowing away in high winds, keeps it dry in the rain and I have always figured 5 days for 4 horses on the bale 24/7 in the winter. I love the ease of putting hay up and feeding it this way.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

well, when I put a bale down flat, they all eat out of the center anyway. My 'big' group is four... so... <shrugs>

I have rings, which are not rings anymore since the bolts have all given or broken or the bolt holes have bent... but rather 3 pieces I lean/tie/arrange... which *helps* but they are already frozen in place, I don't suspect I'll get them free until May.

The rings cut consumption or waste or both by about 1/3. Paid for themselves in the first year. FAR less waste, since they adore nesting in it--which is healthy--but then they don't eat it.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

We have four of them. LOVE them. They don't slow down the eating rate, but they do prevent the horses from wasting half the bale. So a bale lasts longer.

We use the skid loader to flip the bales. Our bales are easily 1000 pounds or more. We got the Giant size bale buddies, and we still have to peel a layer or two off.

They're super durable. My big herd hasn't even made a dent in any of the three they've been using for nearly a year now.

Okay, I'm ordering some of those suckers.... I used hay feeders designed for horses, but they are way more expensive, the bolts break, they're hard to maneuver, etc. That bale buddy looks awesome.... i move my roundbales with a Bobcat, and with that I could keep changing the location of the hay without a problem....

Jennifer

IME, if they've not been offered a round bale all year long, then they will gorge themselves on it when they get one, as the OP found out. But once they learn that it's not going to be their last meal on earth, they start to regulate and slow down.

For my groups... five and seven. They each get two round bales at a time and they last two weeks or so. They have 24/7 access and get fed pellets/grain once a day. These are huge round bales, 1800-2000lbs/ea. When it's warmer it lasts about the same, but at first they go through them crazy fast.

The ease of feeding round bales makes it worth it w/ this many horses and in this winter yuck.

The big bale buddies look interesting, but my ponies wouldn't be able to reach the hay.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

I use "Hillbilly" Bale Buddies - or in other words I have my bales net wrapped and set the out open end up. That way they do not make a mess of them. Eventually when the bale gets low enough I pull out the net so they can finish it up. They eventually get use to the round bales and stop gorging themselves on them. I do fee substantially less grain when i round bale free feed in the winter months - and they are SO HAPPY! The only down side is they hate to come in because they are simply not hungry at dinner time.