The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default blankets

Does anyone think there are cheaper turnout blankets that compare to Rambo?
    Last edited by trafalgar; Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:22 AM. Reason: new info

Welcome to the forums. If you do a search on this topic, you'll find many recent threads addressing this issue.

Recently I've been wanting to start a thread titled, Anyone else want to burn their Weatherbeetas?

The answer is no, in my opinion. I have two horseware ireland turnouts and 3 weatherbeetas and there is no comparison. It helps if the weatherbeeta is high neck, but frankly I'm about to turn them all in and buy horseware. Even the high-neck Taka I have keeps sliding off the darn horse's butt. Even regular neck horseware blankets offer more coverage than weatherbeeta and other brands of standard neck blankets. And of course it is my mid weight everyday blankets that I use the most that are regular neck Weatherbeetas. ARGH!

Rambos last longer, stay on better, are quicker to put on (no leg straps!).

I've had two Rambo's. Great quality but both rubbed my high withered TB gelding.

Schneider's blankets fit him best. Good quality and accomidate his withers and large shoulder nicely.

Weaterbeeta's...forget about it. None of them ever have enough froom for my guy in the shoulder area. They fit my appy well but were not every durable.

My TB is wearing one right now just because it is a spare and he ripped his stable sheet so that is on order and his new turn-out sheet has not come in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    Recently I've been wanting to start a thread titled, Anyone else want to burn their Weatherbeetas?
    I HATE Weatherbeetas! Mr. Studly came with one that I recently applied Thompson's water seal to. If that doesn't make it waterproof, I won't use it in wet weather again.

I LOVE my Rhinos. Technically, they aren't Rambos They are cheaper, they fit the same and they wear like iron. I have some Rhino turnouts that are ten years old and going strong.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    I have a couple weatherbeeta dog blankets that have held up amazingly well to my dogs destructive habits...their horse blankets, on the other hand, are horrible. I've only ever bought one and it lasted all of 5 days before I had to trash it. Now if they could just figure out what they're doing right in the dog blankets and apply it to the horses it would be awesome . Of course the extra straps and larger animals complicate things a bit

Rambos and Rhinos are the best out there. It may be more $$ initially but in the end you'll save tons b/c you won't have to replace them. I have several rambos that are going on ten years old and still look great. My newer ones are holding up just as well.

Wow - I've used Weatherbeetas for many years (some going on winter #9) and they have held up very well. No the waterproofing doesn't last more than a few years but they are the only ones that seem to fit my two TB's without rubbing them. My dog also wears the WB's and he beats on them when running in and out of the woods behind the barn - no problems with those either.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I can second... or third that, burn the weatherbetta's! We owned them prior to moving to UT and they were OK. We had to use shoulder guards but they were in them less. UT forced us to Rambos and we'll never go back. We have two Med Wug's, one Med original and two Amigo sheets. All their stuff is great! Oh yeah, we have them on TB's and Trak x TB's.

The only blanket that I've found that rubs worse on a TB than a WB is a HIB.....
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

This year, I have a rambo, two rhinos, A SLT, an Amigo and a Weatherbeeta.

My boy's weatherbeetas lasted him three years, rubbing the crap out of him every season, but they held up fairly well.

The Amigos are nice replacements for the Rambo, but the Rambo is BY FAR the best- really, you get what you pay for.

A bunch of our horses have the Weatherbeeta Landa high neck with freestyle- everything from a morgan/arab x to a pintabian, TB, appendix, and we've been happy with them. Are they Rambo's? No. Do they work for the money? Sure do. I believe we paid $90 for them on sale with free shipping.

Guess it depends on your horse.

For us blanket durability and ability to stay on are mandatory, not nice to have. Our horse was badly burned in a fire and has pink skin on his topline, not haircoat and MUST be covered or he sunburns.

We've been using the same Weatherbeetas for the past 4 years with complete satisfaction. any rubs are few and far between, fits him like a glove in the medium weight, light weight and kool coats. We picked up a lightweight Wug on sale and A) it doesn't fit as well, B) rubs and C) one of the two blankets that ripped from front to back along one side.

FWIW, I'd say keep your overpriced Rambos and I'll take the Weatherbeeta

Thumbs up i love my weatherbeetas!!!

freestyle high necks are the only thing that fit my mare and don't gape around her chest and also don't make her look like she's wearing a gown (which rambo's do b/c they're cut so deep and she's little).

i have their sheet, a medium weight and a high neck heavy weight. i love them all!!!

drive nj,

just saw your reply. glad i'm not the only one that loves her weatherbeetas
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Wow I have a weatherbeeta that is now going on its fourth winter and it has held up wonderfully. I haven't had to re-waterproof it yet.

I think Schneider's blankets (depending on what type you get) are a heck of a lot better than Rambo's/Rhino's.

I worked at a barn that pretty much used Rambos/Rhinos exclusively and what crap! Most of them had tears, broken straps, velcro that barely stuck....I hated them! Ugh.

My horse has a Weatherbeeta Saxon T/O sheet, an Everest (sp?) Mid-Weight, and a Schnieder's Heavyweight. He's had them all for about 3 years now, goes out with lots of geldings, and they all look brand new!

Saxon Sheet: $50
    Everest Midweight: $70
    Schneiders Heavyweight: $100

Maybe it's just me, but I will never buy a Rambo/Rhino for my horse!

Just my own personal experience....take it for what you can...I know a lot of people will disagree with me, lol.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I leased a horse that had a large wardrobe of Weatherbeetas, in several styles and weights, all held up beautifully, looked like new after washing and never lost their waterproofness after several years. No rubs ever and no problem with them staying in place.

OK I guess that Rambos and Rhinos win but what about Riders? Also is the general feeling that the Rhinos and Rambos also have superior waterpfroofing?

We have a few Rider's turnouts and I have always thought they were an excellent value
    I was let down by one in a big way a few weeks back when we had 3" of rain overnight. The Rider's didn't stay wp and was seriously outperformed by much older Rhinos. Under normal circumstances (less than 3" in a few hours), I've been pretty happy with the Rider's. I rate them right behind my Rhino and Triple Crowns turnouts. I haven't hade the new Baker turnout very long, but I suspect it will be moving into one of the top two spots soon however....
    Y'all ain't right!

Am a huge fan of Schneiders--fit well, no rubs, elastic rear leg straps on some models. Last
    long time. The one weatherbeeta I had--the inside stuffing fell apart after a year. Mine
    really like their bellyband models--straps are attached to the blanket, not the band, so
    dragging in the dirt.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

I have Rambos, Rhinos, Triple Crown, Schneiders Aquanon and Schneiders Stormshield Euro Classic. I'm hands down replacing everything with the Stormshield Euro Classics as the other brands die off. Even the Aquanon (heavyweight) is decent, although not as long in the side drop as the Classic Euro. I may just sell everything except the Schneiders blankets at the end of this winter season, and buy all new Classic Euros for next season. I think that you have to find the blanket that fits your horse best - almost like saddle shopping. Look at your horses conformation, then start looking for features in the blanket that best fit that conformation. Take into consideration your horses living conditions (and any pasturemates) and you should be able to make a pretty educated guess on what you need. FWIW, I started out with Weatherbeetas years ago and threw them in the trash. Too short in the drop, rubbed shoulders, shrunk when washed, didn't last more than 1 winter- BIG waste of my money.
    I had a Riders once, and it didn't last my mare more than 1/2 a season (and it wasn't the cheapo model either).
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    This year, I have a rambo, two rhinos, A SLT, an Amigo and a Weatherbeeta.

My boy's weatherbeetas lasted him three years, rubbing the crap out of him every season, but they held up fairly well.

The Amigos are nice replacements for the Rambo, but the Rambo is BY FAR the best- really, you get what you pay for.

A bunch of our horses have the Weatherbeeta Landa high neck with freestyle- everything from a morgan/arab x to a pintabian, TB, appendix, and we've been happy with them. Are they Rambo's? No. Do they work for the money? Sure do. I believe we paid $90 for them on sale with free shipping.
    I have an Amigo turnout for my horse and really like it, too. My horse - and one of his pasture buddies - are both hard on his clothes, and it's held up great.

http://co106w.col106.mail.live.com/m...969cba8f5226b5
    My QH had a Masta that lasted about 2 years. I got him the Schneider mid and heavy and they are on their 2nd year looking brand new. Just got him the neck cover this year--hating me for it I am sure...
    Tater-my Western Sport Horse
    http://www.clipshack.com/5539