The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile How can YOU tell if your horse is cold?

It seems like everyone has their own little tip or trick on how they figure out if their horse is cold or not, and needs either blanketing, additional blanketing, or to be brought inside. So, COTHers, how do YOU tell when your horsey friend is cold?

Personally, I do two things; watch my mare's behavior, and run my hand under her sheet/blanket and press my hand into her coat. If she isn't warm to the touch, she's probably cold. I also back that up with her behavior, as I mentioned. If she's glued to the shelter and doesn't want to come out, probably means she's cold.

I know some folks feel their horse's ears, although for me my mare's ears are almost always cold, even if she's toasty warm!

How about you?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I stick my hands in the front of his blanket. If he's warmer than my hands, we're probably good to go His ears always seem pretty much air temperature to me, and he hangs in the shed a lot anyway since the round bale's there.

Mine shivers if he's wet and it's below 40. on with the blanket.

If they have their tail tucked, I figure they're cold.

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    If they have their tail tucked, I figure they're cold.
    That's a good way to tell, too! Totally forgot about that.

My mare's hair is all stuck up and she's shivering. She doesn't grow a winter coat, so she needs blanketing once her hair is sticking up.

The two youngins don't seem to get cold, yet anyway. They both grow nice, thick winter coats.

Run my hands under the blanket. If it's warm, I figure they're fine. If it's like "room temperature" or lower, I throw on another layer.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Mine shivers like she'll fall down, even blanketed. Her gut is all sucked up too. Not pretty.
    She's bundled up like an Eskimo in a heated barn. I understand. I just know I'm going to be one of those old ladies wearing a sweater in July.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Quote Originally Posted by Lilykoi View Post
    Mine shivers like she'll fall down, even blanketed. Her gut is all sucked up too. Not pretty.
    She's bundled up like an Eskimo in a heated barn. I understand. I just know I'm going to be one of those old ladies wearing a sweater in July.
    Is she from a warm climate or something? Poor girl.

My mare shivers when she's cold, and tries to put blankets on herself...

If she's cold and you hold up a blanket, she sticks her head right through and wiggles it down her neck over her body.

Poor girl just does not grow much of a coat and needs to have a layer heavier than everyone else.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I can generally walk up and just tell by looking at him- his expression maybe? Not sure. To verify, I feel the ears and run a handunder the blanket.
    -Grace

Blush looks MISERABLE when she's cold. She gets all tucked up, tucks her tail, hunches her back and put her ears back. There is NO MISTAKING when Miss Mare is Not Warm Enough. For her, I would rather her be a bit WARM than a bit COLD.

My TB Beau....last year we tried to go a bit without a blanket....and lets say mom came out to check on the horses one morning (it was like 25 degrees) and he was backing himself up to his heated water bucket and trying to sit in it.....Pretty good indication that he had gotten cold I would say. Lets just say the horse owns more "clothes" than I do currently!

My horse will actually shiver when he is cold. This has only happened a few times but it has been when a cold rain has come through in the summer/spring and he was without a sheet. Silly horse for whatever reason decided not to go in his run in and ended up wet and shivering while I was at work. When I got home I toweled him, put on his fleece cooler to soak up any extra moisture and put a rain sheet on top. Works like charm. He stopped shivering shortly after and within a couple hours the coat is completely dry.
    In the winter, I feel under his blanket. He has never felt cold under his insulated blankets but if he feels HOT I remove a layer.

There was a pony at an old barn that got REALLY cold. You could tell - she would kind of scrunch herself into a ball - pull her legs underneath her, tuck her head and tail, and basically just LOOK cold. She needed three blankets all winter.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Is she from a warm climate or something? Poor girl.

No, just doesn't grow a coat and has the metabolism of a hummingbird.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Ears, armpits, tail tucked, hair on rump standing up, shivers, sour face. I never let mine get to the last 4 phases though. If their ears and/or armpits are cold then it is time for bigger jackets. IF they have been clipped. If they aren't clipped, they do not wear clothes and chances are the only time they might be cold is if they are drenched, which doesn't happen here either.

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    My horse will actually shiver when he is cold. This has only happened a few times but it has been when a cold rain has come through in the summer/spring and he was without a sheet. Silly horse for whatever reason decided not to go in his run in and ended up wet and shivering while I was at work. When I got home I toweled him, put on his fleece cooler to soak up any extra moisture and put a rain sheet on top. Works like charm. He stopped shivering shortly after and within a couple hours the coat is completely dry.
    In the winter, I feel under his blanket. He has never felt cold under his insulated blankets but if he feels HOT I remove a layer.
    Did you just leave the fleece blanket on then, or did you remove it a few hours later? I was wondering how I could blanket my mare when she is wet, and that might be an option if I don't have to remove the fleece sheet after awhile (don't have time to run back to the barn a few hours later, unfortunately!). Right now I have a blow dryer, but have yet to use it on her body to get her dry, and think it may take forever with the blow dryer..

Default Hay

What I do is to actually feel the skin on their teats or sheath. If it's colder to me, I will first test teats or sheath to see if that skin is cold.

By the time they are tail tucking, then they are really very cold. I don't do the ear thing or feel under blankets. I think both can be deceptive. I sometimes think what feels warm to us, is hot to the horses.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Ruby's eyes get big and her hair stands up. I hold my hands under the blanket and stand there for a few minutes. My hands get really cold in the winter and I'm clumsy in gloves, so I have to wait for my hands to warm up before I can tell if she's too cold. She really doesn't apreciate me sticking my cold hands under her blanket
    Rebel Without Cash!