The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default HAY

JANET, YES it was the Silver Bit. Say when were you in Mount Kisco/Bedford? Did you go to Greeley? I lived there until from 1966 - 1977, then we moved to South Salem and then to Orange COunty NY. Maybe I knew you?
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Default Hay

Reiner Nievisch was way neater than Kent Jungherr. Kent was neat but Reiner was exceptional.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Horse and Rider...wasn't that Kay ??? who owned it? Adams Street is correct.
    Nothing beat The Saddler though till Beval came along...There was a tack shop in Larchmont too near the train station.

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    JANET, YES it was the Silver Bit. Say when were you in Mount Kisco/Bedford? Did you go to Greeley? I lived there until from 1966 - 1977, then we moved to South Salem and then to Orange COunty NY. Maybe I knew you?
    We moved to Bedford (Guard Hill Rd, across from Tanrackin) in 65. My father still lives there (just), but I went off to college in '71.

We (my sister Gillian and I) went to Fox Lane, but I had a bunch of good friends that went to Greeley- Patty Peckham and Mary Link in particular.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    We moved to Bedford (Guard Hill Rd, across from Tanrackin) in 65. My father still lives there (just), but I went off to college in '71.
    Janet, do you know Frank and Catherine Heller and their 7 (or is it 9) daughters? They lived on Guard Hill Road for many years, when I knew them it was from 1981 to about 1996.

The Heller place was called Blanchland I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Janet, do you know Frank and Catherine Heller and their 7 (or is it 9) daughters? They lived on Guard Hill Road for many years, when I knew them it was from 1981 to about 1996.

The Heller place was called Blanchland I think.
    By 1981 I was in Virginia. The name Blanchard does not really ring a bell.

But there was a family with LOTS of girls that lived at Ensign Farm (had an anchor at the end of the driveway). And they MIGHT have been "Heller". They went to Catholic school, but rode the same school bus, and there was one my age I regularly sat with. I can see her, but I can't remember her name. They lived near the sculptor Joseph McDonnell (but on the other side of the road). At least once, the "Lighthouse for the Blind" was at their place, and we did a musical ride.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    But there was a family with LOTS of girls that lived at Ensign Farm (had an anchor at the end of the driveway). And they MIGHT have been "Heller". They went to Catholic school, but rode the same school bus, and there was one my age I regularly sat with. I can see her, but I can't remember her name. They lived near the sculptor Joseph McDonnell (but on the other side of the road). At least once, the "Lighthouse for the Blind" was at their place, and we did a musical ride.
    That might be them, they were definitely Catholics. At one time before I met them the family had a large farm in Bedford and they kept horses, possibly racehorses, but by the 80's they had downsized and Blanchland was only a few acres. It was a beautiful home, not small by my family's standards. I can't remember the names of any of the girls except the youngest, who was Sarah. Its horrible that my memory is now so bad.

Was one of the girls named Susan Heller. If so she still rides with Carol Moloney.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    That might be them, they were definitely Catholics. At one time before I met them the family had a large farm in Bedford and they kept horses, possibly racehorses, but by the 80's they had downsized and Blanchland was only a few acres. It was a beautiful home, not small by my family's standards. I can't remember the names of any of the girls except the youngest, who was Sarah. Its horrible that my memory is now so bad.
    Probably the same family, they had horses on the farm, but, AFAIK, the girls did not ride much.
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by SILLYSADIE View Post
    Was one of the girls named Susan Heller. If so she still rides with Carol Moloney.
    I just can't remember. Sarah, the youngest would be at least 26 now, same age as my boss' youngest son, which is the only way I can remember. I don't think any of them rode when I knew them, although I only had limited involvement, mostly social occasions, and that was with the parents. The daughters' names were mentioned frequently though, if only I could remember. I think the family's involvement with horses was mostly through racing. They did have Stubbs paintings and other horsey motifs in the decorating theme of their house though.

Susan Heller is not related.
    I went to St. Pat's with Lilly and keep in touch with Fella a little. There are 9 girls.

If you are interested, here is an older thread on the same general subject
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...p/t-35636.html
    Janet

Thanks Janet

It hard to believe that was all done in 2001. Amost what is being said today. Always great memories and friends to hear about.

Default Maryland Pony Show

Does anyone remember the Maryland Pony Show when it was held in the infield at Timonium Racetrack? Heaven help you if you had an OTTB!!!!

The one I rode in the 70's was so hot in the schooling ring that half the riders would flee when they saw her coming. And yet she would win the class once she got in the ring - or the outside course!

Pairs classes, hunt teams, really challenging Jr equitation classes where you had to switch horses, outside courses, Knock Down and Out jumper classes at the local shows, the good old days!

Was there in the early 60's with Tanrackin ponies !!!

LuckyFinn Guest

1968...Friars Gate Farm with Julie Ulrich...great school ponies- and got my first "show pony" there also..

Quote Originally Posted by bit-o-honey View Post
    Does anyone remember the Maryland Pony Show when it was held in the infield at Timonium Racetrack? Heaven help you if you had an OTTB!!!!

The one I rode in the 70's was so hot in the schooling ring that half the riders would flee when they saw her coming. And yet she would win the class once she got in the ring - or the outside course!

Pairs classes, hunt teams, really challenging Jr equitation classes where you had to switch horses, outside courses, Knock Down and Out jumper classes at the local shows, the good old days!

Yessss!!! I remember that! Of course you know how when your little you never really know where you are?

Was there in the early 60's with Tanrackin ponies !!!
    Which ones? Pollyanna?
    Janet

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default California Memories

Rode in Malibu from the mid 60's to 1973. The local ETI corral initially had one LA County rated show a year, back in the days when it was essentially all western with two english flat classes. We sure thought those people had really fancy horses. My mom took over running the shows and ran a number of rated shows at Crummer Field in Malibu. The group was ousted, allegedly so a developer could develop something, but the land still sits there with no buildings in sight. I remember Larry Langer when he trained part time and had a day job (as an aerospace engineer, IIRC) and wore blue jeans and white tennis shoes.

There was a GP at the Rose Bowl. There was also one inland in San Diego someplace that I remember going to watch.

Remember the Forum shows?
    The Evil Chem Prof

I feel like I must know everyone on this thread! I rode with Nimrod from 1969 to 1977. It is true, that my horse, 20th Century, Ltd was a fabulous mover, but in 1976 when one still just counted blues to get into New York, we qualified with more blue ribbons than any other horse entered in the horse show. They weren't just hack classes as he was A/O HOTY that year. After I went out on my own, I was at Coach House as trainer and Kent's girlfriend. From there, I went to Boulder Brook for a few years and then to Shannon. While I was trainer at Shannon, Patty Peckham was manager and we are still dear friends.

My first riding instructor was Dick Ulrich, round about 1960, when he and Julie were in Dennis, Ma. I grew up on Cape Cod and rode at a number of barns there before going to Nimrod.

My mother ran the Cape Cod Horse Show and I have lots of stories from those years. That show was so much fun! Lots of crazy stuff went on there every year.

Barney Ward and Ronnie Mutch were best friends, and Barney even lived at Nimrod for a while. I have known Mclain since he was born. Many of you may not know that Mclain has a baby brother. Barney and his wife have a five year old son, Dillon.

Years later, I leased 25 stalls at Old Salem, and ran my business, Grand Central from there between 1987 and 1996. I had the best of all worlds, as I married the owner and still had my own business. We sold Old Salem in 2002 and now have a breeding farm in North Salem.

I have memories of almost everything that you all have discussed that happened on the East Coast!!
    Robin B. Greenwood be MERRY, DAMMIT
    I just see things differently
    www.hunterponies.com