The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How big are your Yearlings?

And how big do you think they will get? My girl is 14.3 in the hind end...maybe 14 or 14.1 hands in the front end...if I can figure out how to post a pic, i will...I did a string test and since I was by myself figured it to be around 15.3 - 16.1 h....the breeder told me she'd be around 16 - 16.1...I like them smaller personally though...

so...what do your yearlings look like (pics) and how big are they? How big do you expect them to be?

My yearling was an April foal--so about a year and a half--and she is currently 15.1 1/2 to 15.2 hands. Was expecting 16.1. Dam was 15.1 and sire 16.3. She is TB so will likely get her height early and then take a long time to "fill in".

She is on my homepage of my webpage.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

I have a yearling filly who is a hair over 16 3 . Yes I know she is a baby brontosaurus!!! She is a Jan foal so she is a long yearling but she is huge. I am very careful about feeding as I don't want such fast growth but she can grow on air - she is out with friends 24 7 but it still is a worry. I purchased her as a weanling but knew her from birth. The day she was born I went to see the new foal - but could only find a giant baby that looked about 3 or 4 months old - yep that was the new foal! She was a favorite of the working students that year as she is super friendly and looked very funny with her giant rabbit ears! Mum was ?16 2 and dad 17 2 but she string tests over 18. I believe that . I have another horse who is over 17 and he was nowhere near this size at this age. No I am not a giant and was not looking for a giant horse but liked her for other reasons and hope the string is wrong!

I have a June yearling. She's 15.3 in the rear and built like a dragster so definitely no pictures of her will be shown to the public. lol
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

We now have two yearlings:

Prospect's Bravestrom - CSHA Colt - Swedish warmblood cross by Braveheart - 16.3hh - here is a link to his picture:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=505480415

Our new hanoverian Yearling - Wysteria - by Wellesley out of a sps mare - she is 16hh. We just got her yesterday.

Here is a link to her pic

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5&id=505480415

Our 16 month old yearling is 1/2 Trak, 1/4 Dutch, 1/4 TB. he's 15hh right now and ~900 lbs (so says the weight formula). His dam is almost 17hh and the sire is about the same. String tests (two methods) says he'll be 16.3-17.

We figure he'll be one that is slower to develop. His 1/2 brother that we own (trak sire, TB dam) is 4 1/2 and he's 16.2 and still looks imature.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

My Holsteiner yearling (a July 07 model) is 14.3h. He should finish at 16.2 or 16.3h. He is one solid little dude, though......his joints are as big or bigger than all of my fully matured horses. Here he is at one year exactly:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...94686761cOXKOd

I had just measured one the other day. She is 19 months and measures 14H at the wither. She is pretty level now, not butt high, and has slowed way down in growth for now. She is a sport pony, so she is big, but not like the horses. Her sire is the connemara stallion Ballywhim An Luan.
    The other pony yearling is considerably smaller at about 13.H. She is 18 months. Her sire is the German Riding Pony stallion Crown Heartbreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    My Holsteiner yearling (a July 07 model) is 14.3h. He should finish at 16.2 or 16.3h. He is one solid little dude, though......his joints are as big or bigger than all of my fully matured horses. Here he is at one year exactly:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...94686761cOXKOd
    He has such a pretty face in the pictures where he's looking straight to the camera. Really a beautiful baby!

We have a yearling purebred Arabian colt born in April, he measures 15 hands right now. Have no idea where he gets his size from... Mom & Dad are 15 - 15.1 hands. Plus his neck is a mile long so he appears even larger. : )

Cindy
    Watching Hawk Arabians
    Home of ZEGAS
    *Ganges x Zabrynka
    http://www.watchinghawkarabians.com

My yearling is somewhere under 16hh but over 15hh and around 1000 lbs. Last week the farrier came and told us that Mark would need size 3 shoes in front if he were to be shod now (at almost 19 mo) . At least he's only going to top out 16.2hh tops (knock on wood).

The yearling I bred last year (now sold) at 17 months old was 15.3h withers and 16.1h butt. His sire was only 16.1, but was by Sandro Hit who's 17.1, and his dam is 16.2h, but I believe she also had larger parents, so I'm guessing he's going to be close to 17h.
    ---------------------------

~Once you have ridden the tiger it is impossible to dismount~

My May 07' filly is 15.2-15.3 currently. String tests to 16.2-16.3, parents were 16.2 and 16.1 (Appy x TB)

The Silver Yearling has arrived at 14 hands, string tests to about 15. Both parents 15 even. I was expecting a little guy, with his hefty dose of Arab. I wanted compact when designing my Endurance Toy. It's been fun to contrast him to the WB yearlings of the past, though. They were bigger, but for all that, he looks more mature than they did, just in a shorter package.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    He has such a pretty face in the pictures where he's looking straight to the camera. Really a beautiful baby!
    Thanks TR! I think so too, but I might be a little biased....

My crew is the 14-15hh range and they should all mature around 16-16.2hh or better. Stallion is 17.1hh, mares vary from 15-15.2hh.

Here's a pic from today of a couple of them, well mainly one. Mack just happened to be standing next to Apolo so they both got pictured. Mack is a little older and out of a taller mare, but Apolo is more stocky.
    http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/r...mack102808.jpg
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Our yearling Welsh Filly is 13 hands right now, just came in from working with her, and her hindend is 13:2. I can't believe how tall she is right now.

Here is a picture of her this fall in the pasture:
    http://www.wishbroke.com/jpgs/sept08maryjane4.jpg
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

My yearling was measured three days ago at 16.0 at the withers and 16.1-1/2 at the butt. She is an Anglo Arabian. Both parents are 16.2H.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiny1 text.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	22878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiny3 dark shading.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	22879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TradeWindz6Jul08 047 framed text sm.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	22880  
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    I have a June yearling. She's 15.3 in the rear and built like a dragster so definitely no pictures of her will be shown to the public. lol
    LOL! That exactly describes mine, though mine is a March yearling. Parents are 15.3 and 17.0. I am guessing he will finish around 16.2 and may be acceptable for public viewing in a year or so...