The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Patience, Patience and more Patience....
    Being still. When you learn to be still with a hyper sensitive spooky horse no matter what the horse is doing and learn to work from that stillness, crazy folks always in some drama look entertaining not challenging or scary

Keep trying, even when it gets hard. Believe in your horse and yourself. Every single day of a relationship (horse or human) isn't going to be wonderful and easy but if you put in the effort it will pay off in the end.

Visualizing myself riding with my chin up and heels down has helped me through some tough moments lately.

"no one is a toaster........ not you, not me, not anyone - now stop trying to be perfect all the time and figure out how to deal with your mistakes"

If you anticipate trouble, you will most likely get it.
    The subconscious is a powerful thing... if you tell youself over and over what the correct way is to do something, eventually it will believe what you say and take over when you need it most.

Default So true and sometimes guilty

Quote Originally Posted by Pookah View Post
    I think that panicking/stressing won't do ANYTHING to help in a bad situation. I am constantly surprised at work by how much energy people burn on worrying--doesn't change a darn thing! You could never do that around a nervous horse at the barn without causing total panic!
    My husband lost his job Friday and allllllllllllllllll weekend I have been like the above. No wonder why my horses don't like me so much right now.
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

Oh a bunch...

From my first instructor: ride your own horse. He meant that the best you could do in a difficult situation was deal with the one thing you COULD have an effect on. If someone was having trouble, messing up an exercise, etc. you couldn't change a thing they were doing... just ride your own horse. It's very good advice to live by.

Now in my current situation... patience and release. And I love what others have said about "if the horse isn't doing the right thing, you're asking wrong". That's sort of like my first instructor's words above. Figure out what you can change, and change it.

Oh and that just reminded me of another pearl from that instructor: make a change. If you were attempting an exercise and it didn't work, all he wanted to see the next time around was that you were trying a different approach. Sure it was great if it worked, but that was beside the point. What's that saying now? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome? Uh-huh!

Lastly, an old cowboy taught me "never run to a wreck"... you know the feeling when you open the barn door or go out to the pasture and there's a horse down, injured, stuck in a fence, etc.? My urge was always to run right out to the site of the calamity... and THEN realize that a halter, a bucket of grain, a PHONE, etc. would have been a good idea. Much better to think first, act second, because you might think you are saving time but you're more apt to be wasting it.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

As soon as you notice things going haywire, backtrack to the last point where things made sense and start over from there. Don't just sit there and hope things sort themselves out. (They don't! They usually get worse.)

Errors almost never look as bad as they feel. (AKA: Many small errors will go unnoticed by the observer if you don't freak out and call all attention to them.)

Forward! Forward! Always Forward!

Start small. You can always do more. But you can't always go back and do less.

Ask, tell, demand.

The quieter and more consistent you are, the louder your requests will be. Cut the noise.

If you are headed for a cliff, it doesn't matter how fast you are going.
    Everyone thinks they're good drivers.

Don't be a passenger. Be the driver.

Every horse learns different. So does every man, woman, and child, dog cat etc.

Everyone reacts differently, what may scare one may not scare another.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Choose your battles. You can't fix EVERYTHING in one ride. So pick one chore, and be happy with an effort, or sign of a lightbulb. Same thing in life with humans.

Best relationship advice ever came from horse shopping in high school
    "Just because you like succeeding with impossible projects, doesn't mean you have to buy one. There are enough of those sitting around for you to entertain yourself with. The one you are going to keep, should have all positive attributes that you can nurture...not negative things you want to get rid of"

Finally...don't create problems. If you go into a ride with a bad attitude, waiting for trouble, you will find it. Positive attitude is key. Thats the only way to address the real issues. And if you often are in a bad mood by the time you get to the barn...you need a pony
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsecrazy27 View Post
    My husband lost his job Friday and allllllllllllllllll weekend I have been like the above. No wonder why my horses don't like me so much right now.
    ((((hugs))))

Look Up

Go forward.

Head up, heels down.

If you're stumped, simplify the exercise until you can do it, then work your way back to the stumper; don't get dead-ended.

Ask, tell, make.

If you look at the ground, you'll end up down there

Although it feels wrong, lean BACK if you lose your balance (actually, I first learned that while trying to scale talus slopes)

A release is a reward.

Pick a destination and go to it.

Act confident even when you're not.

Be the leader

A good attitude is more valuable than talent or conformation

BREATHE!!!

A fight is never going to end you have to mentally work thru the problem not physically.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Hope for the best; prepare for the worst.

When in doubt, grab mane!
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen