The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hurricane Ike

Dutchmike once wrote:

Hurricane Gustav
    For those that need stabling

http://www.horsegazette.com/emergency.htm

With Ike barreling towards Texas, it is worth posting this again.

Stay safe, fellow Texans!

J.

I jsut heard that they have ordered evacuation from Galveston Island.

Mr. CF left a few hours ago to pick up our two young horses (one of the Danish ones by Diamond and a Russian one by Otschag) that have just been backed in that area.

This one is sounding serious. We have a friend who deployed 20 something bucket trucks to New Orleans after Katrina and all his trucks are on stand by and ready to roll.

Best wishes to all and stay safe.

Donna Ray

Quote Originally Posted by dray View Post
    I jsut heard that they have ordered evacuation from Galveston Island.

Mr. CF left a few hours ago to pick up our two young horses (one of the Danish ones by Diamond and a Russian one by Otschag) that have just been backed in that area.

This one is sounding serious. We have a friend who deployed 20 something bucket trucks to New Orleans after Katrina and all his trucks are on stand by and ready to roll.

Best wishes to all and stay safe.

Donna Ray
    Yikes! Lots of good thoughts headed your way. I hope he left more than just a few hours ago if you're in Burleson. Traffic around here (Houston) is crazy today---everywhere. Tell him to stock up on gas before he gets on the island, news is reporting that many gas stations on I-45 are already out of gas.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Default Stabling in College Station

There are 200 stalls (first come first serve) at the Brazos County Expo Center in Brazos County.....if anyone needs horse shelter....call 211 which I believe is the statewide emergency number. The guy overseeing the Expo Center is Tom Quarles. I am not in Texas anymore but my farm is probably going to get some gusty winds and rain....it is 8 miles south of College Station between Wellborn and Millican on Wellborn Road (FM 2154).

BE CAREFUL and stay safe, everyone! ry

By 2pm, the roads going into Houston were all one way only - North. He made it down there by 1:30 and did have the foresight to fuel up before he got there. It was 100 degrees when he got there, but both girls traveled really well.

He made it home by 7:30. He said I-10 was a nightmare, but he only had 15 miles or so on it.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and for posting lay over stops for people in need.

Donna

Hi all,

I hope everyone in the Houston area and Texas came through OK!!!

You know, on Wed morning, Ike was predicted to hit Corpus Christi, TX, and most people weren't worried in our area. By the afternoon, the track shifted north/east...not unlike the behavior of Rita exactly three years prior. By Thursday morning, the track was predicted to cross Freeport on the coast and was predicted to cross the Houston area. In other words, we really didn't have a heck of a lot of notice.

I've got to publically thank Equine Express, who on virtually no notice made three separate trips to our barn (4 pm, 7 pm, 4 am) to take off horses...while evacuating other peoples' horses as well. I also want to thank Proud Meadows for taking those horses at the last minute. Also, a private barn down the road took 5 of our horses. This enabled all horses (including pasture horses) on the property to have a super safe place to be.

We have great workers, some of whom stayed on property and worked through the storm. We have great boarders, some of whom also stayed on property to prepare for, ride out, and help with the aftermath of the storm. Our trainers are great - they stayed to prepare the property and one stayed through the storm to manage the horses.

As a result, I will not forget hearing a tree crack and fall at 3 am and some horses whinnying. I lept out of bed (for the third time) already dressed and ran through the breezeway into the barn. The horses were checking out the 80-90 or so mph winds out the windows, snoozing, and munching on hay as the eye approached. Silence. Calmness. WHAT A FREAKIN' RELIEF!

Adding insult to injury, it POURED rain this morning, cementing the swamp-like conditions in the pastures.

We have lots of downed trees and some damaged fences. We still don't have power. We've got backup water from the barn down the road since we lost our water pumps Friday night and our water truck was getting low. Spotty cell phone service and mine's been "roaming" all weekend. Few stores are open for supplies. And that's about it. Not ONE injury or major issue.

There is no substitute for being prepared. And going overboard on preparation is never wasted effort. You never know what is going to happen until it happens. And being able to stand in the middle of a hurricane at 3-ish AM watching trees bend horizontally and hearing the roof roll while simultaneously listening to soft hay munching sounds is totally worth the effort.

I hope everyone in our area pulled through OK. Thank the gods the weather is on our electricity-challenged side in the next few days.

We got the aftermath in St. Louis - the flood plains are - surprise! - flooded again! I'm guessing 4 inches of rain in an hour, with winds (downed power lines, etc). I have a good friend in Kingsville and no answer on his cell, so I am worried about everyone down there. Also worried about our friends in Kansas and Chicago, as they were also affected (in part by Ike, in part by some weird front).

Jingling that everyone is safe.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I also thought Ike was going to pull a Rita and end up missing us. But, then Thursday afternoon rolled around and the forecasted track was still hitting Galveston and coming our way. When the early am Friday track had not really changed, I figured there was no escaping this one.

I was glad our place came through relatively unscathed. Lost a few trees and lots of limbs down but no other damage to property or animals. We kept power since we are farther inland (Brenham area.) We got another strong storm Saturday night but luckily missed the rain today. I felt SO bad when I saw it was raining on Houston AGAIN today.

A horse I bred and raised now lives in the Cypress area and I am hoping she is okay. I figure her owner has a lot to deal with (has a small animal vet practice in Houston and lives somewhere closer to downtown.) But, if anyone knows if Lucy (the owner) and Whimsical are both okay, I would love to quit worrying about them both!

I didn't sleep much from 2 am Saturday morning when Ike hit us. But, it was good to look out of the apartment into the barn and see everyone munching hay or snoozing with one back leg cocked. All except my poor mare who went through Katrina - she did pace most of the night but is fine.

I hope everyone in Houston is safe and coping with the damage. Let us know if you need anything!
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Talking

J-Lu- amazing report and thanks for letting us know you're ok...it must be dreadful- and anyday- I'd rather have that earthquake...but whatever...it shows you're well-prepared and well able to cope. Best of Luck- hope things dry up quickly in your area and all you 'family' is safe and unscathed!
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Thanks, Sabine! Poor CowgirlJenn lost her barn and obtained a new skylight in her house down in Alvin. Luckily, she and her horses are just fine. What a mess.

I was in Lexington Kentucky this weekend and what was left of Ike blew over the KY Horse park. it was worse than Tropical Storm Hannah that we'd had the weekend before in Virginia. The Horse Park lost power and canceled our second show (Parade of Breeds). We did not leave until yesterday a.m. and got to spend a large part of the afternoon and night in a rocking wind blown living quarters trailer.

There was a rated dressage show going on also and I will say that I was awfully impressed with how many competitors chose to ride their tests in 40 mph winds, dust and debris blowing everywhere and just awful conditions. It was hard to walk outside and branches were coming off those big old trees.

I was amazed at how damaging a storm Ike was and how long it remained hurricane force. I read that a hanger blew apart in 70 mph gusts in Cincinnati. I'd say it was gusting close to that in Lexington...my hurricane meter (from being in one before) told me it was close at times to being that strong.

J-Lu,

You and your horses were brave. I'm glad to hear that you are all fine and yes, Equine Express is an absolutely AWESOME company to work with. Proud Meadows is a farm staffed by true horsemen with compassion.

Inca,

Good news from you as well. There are a few people I'm trying to get in touch with as well. Everyone is so busy srambling to recover.

We were unscathed here in the Ft. Worth area. I slept on pins and needles Saturday night waiting for the storm to blow in.