The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2012 Olympics in London...

We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I've been following this for awhile and yes many Equestrians are not happy with Greenwich. Mind you it's a beautiful park and location to London to die for. I've been there myself and on paper sounds great but not really pratical in terms of cost and suitable venue for the Equestrian segment plus it leaves no legacy to build where the time and money would be better put to use at other Equestrian venues in place already. The UK has a long history of embracing horse sports and there are so many more suitable venues. The location of where they hold the Barbury HT is a fabulous place and spector friendly as well and Hickstead too.

http://www.barburyhorsetrials.co.uk/

http://www.hickstead.co.uk/index.php

But given the way the IOC runs the Olympics it never makes sense to me so why should it be any different for London.

I have seen similar reports in other U.K. newspapers. The London Olympics are already seriously over their proposed budget. The present political regime (New Labour) in power in the U.K., who supported London's bid, is unpopular and getting more so. Not only people local to Greenwich, but many others are uncomfortable with the choice of Greenwich Park as an Olympic Equestrian venue. So I would say that there is a small (at the moment) but definite possibility that eventing could be dropped from the London 2012 Olympics. After all, who would have expected the British to ban fox-hunting?

Windsor Great Park would be a much better venue. Horse events of all kinds are held there on a regular basis. The Queen could foot the bill!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

What about Powderham Castle? I was there back in 94 and they just revamped their cross country course this year.

On another topic. I "heard" I think, it announced that Chicago bid for 2016? Does that mean flutie will be hosting the Equestrian portions? <raising my hand> I'll take vacation and volunteer for the entire event (Eventing and dressage and show jumping)

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Gatcombe?

It's hosted European Championships before. And Princess Anne would be a great hostess for the Olympics. Or would that give Zara even more of a home field advantage?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Why can't they hold the Equestrian Events at one of the facilities used for Badminton or Burghley or Gatcombe, or Blenheim, or Barbury.....
    "Fifteen minutes of excellent work is better than an hour and a half of wandering aimlessly around." -Col. Bengt Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by bludini View Post
    On another topic. I "heard" I think, it announced that Chicago bid for 2016? Does that mean flutie will be hosting the Equestrian portions?
    Yes Chicago is bidding. Equestrian would be a Tempel Farms, not Lamplight.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...se.html?cat=14

So kind of off topic, but most people have heard about the end of the world being predicted by the Aztecs or Mayans or someone of the like, in 2012, that was always where my aim was, to go to the 2012 Olympics, I remember hearing this and being devastated until i found out that the world is not supposed to end until Nov/Decish...

I personally am saddened by the idea that they would spend all that money to build a temporary venue, and in England of all places. Wouldn't it be better spent on a permanent location, either one already extant or a new one that would be able to host horse shows indefinitely?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Poltroon - I agree completely!

Bludini - Yup - Chicago's on the short list, but so are Tokyo, Rio and Madrid. Sofar Tokyo is said to have the advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sightunseen View Post
    So kind of off topic, but most people have heard about the end of the world being predicted by the Aztecs or Mayans or someone of the like, in 2012, that was always where my aim was, to go to the 2012 Olympics, I remember hearing this and being devastated until i found out that the world is not supposed to end until Nov/Decish...

<snort>

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I personally am saddened by the idea that they would spend all that money to build a temporary venue, and in England of all places. Wouldn't it be better spent on a permanent location, either one already extant or a new one that would be able to host horse shows indefinitely?
    Ooooo! Ooooo! I know! Take a clue from the Chinese and use a GOLF COURSE! ALWAys a better use of the space for cross country! Hmmmmm. St. Andrews comes to mind <ducking and running>

Okay, I realize that it sucks that it's going to be a temporary venue and they are spending tons when they have some of the most gorgeous horse venues in the world. BUT, for once the horse sports will be in with all the other sports. For once, our athletes can be included with everyone else. For once, they don't have to travel all over kingdom come to get to the venue. For once, our commentators and Olympic organizers will be close to the heart of the rest of the organizers. For once, other sports enthusiasts will be able to easily get to the equestrian events. And maybe just maybe we will have a small window of opportunity to be a mainline sport.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Okay, I realize that it sucks that it's going to be a temporary venue and they are spending tons when they have some of the most gorgeous horse venues in the world. BUT, for once the horse sports will be in with all the other sports. For once, our athletes can be included with everyone else. For once, they don't have to travel all over kingdom come to get to the venue. For once, our commentators and Olympic organizers will be close to the heart of the rest of the organizers. For once, other sports enthusiasts will be able to easily get to the equestrian events. And maybe just maybe we will have a small window of opportunity to be a mainline sport.
    Nice dream, but really, non-riders think our sport is like watching paint dry. Since they don't realize, even at BN, how difficult it is to really make a circle 20M and ROUND, diagonals straight, halts square, free walks free. The only exciting part for them is the hope of seeing one of us eat it jumping (without getting hurt, of course) So being inlcuded with the other vunues won't bring that much bigger of a crowd.

Have you seen much ping pong or badminton at these Olympics? They're contested in the main venue. If it's not mainline American sport (swimming, gymnastics, basketball, volleyball)forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sightunseen View Post
    Dec 23rd, 2012 - so we get one more Olympics.....

The date is from Aztec mythology and was seconded by the McKenna brothers and their interpretation of the Chinese I Ching.

I watch a lot of History Channel....

I just figured so much for any chance of it being a remotely gallopy course.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I think at the end of the day that the closeness of the venues isn't all that important for the spectators. (Very possibly for the athletes.) No matter how close they are, you still can't be in 25 places at once. And I've never had the experience at the World Cup or the like of, "Wow, that was great show jumping. You know what I could go for now? A couple of hours of beach volleyball."
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

there is no way they will dig up greenwich (a world heritage centre) for a temporary equine facility and do you know why that is? One reason is that part of the plan involves using the adjourning blackheath (open common land) for the horsebox park which is fine but the the officials being given the tour of the proposed site are visiting from the greenwich direction with its marbled white buildings, and dont spend much time i expect in the tenement blocks in blackheath town where most of the residents barely see a horse and could care less about them. the security would be massive, you could park you flash truck there but it might not be where you left it when you return......And i believe as blackheath is common land under british law they would need an act of parliament to dig it up and fence it off. Easy i hear you say, the britsh goverment wants the games they will pass one. well they could try but it would only take one resident to trot to the e high court and the goverment would lose because the laws regarding common lands have charters some on which go back several centuries if not more.
    i think the whole thing was a PR excercise to get the games myself the whole idea is ridiculous. and as someone above has said eventing might not even be in it. that descision in the IOC's and nothing to do with the organising comittee. i suppose i dont need to tell you lot on your side of the pond how much money reining is prepared to invest in gettingin and how many members of the American Quarter Horse Association that would back it? and then there is endurance. backed by the money of the maktoums. eventing people will smugly tell you neither of these sports currently fulfils olympic criteria (what ever those are) but do they relly think backer such as these havent thought of that and covered it.
    i am a born and bred south londoner by the way and both my brothers still live in the very part of london that will be affected if anyone is wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by lucretia View Post
    there is no way they will dig up greenwich (a world heritage centre) for a temporary equine facility and do you know why that is? One reason is that part of the plan involves using the adjourning blackheath (open common land) for the horsebox park which is fine but the the officials being given the tour of the proposed site are visiting from the greenwich direction with its marbled white buildings, and dont spend much time i expect in the tenement blocks in blackheath town where most of the residents barely see a horse and could care less about them. the security would be massive, you could park you flash truck there but it might not be where you left it when you return......And i believe as blackheath is common land under british law they would need an act of parliament to dig it up and fence it off. Easy i hear you say, the britsh goverment wants the games they will pass one. well they could try but it would only take one resident to trot to the e high court and the goverment would lose because the laws regarding common lands have charters some on which go back several centuries if not more.
    i think the whole thing was a PR excercise to get the games myself the whole idea is ridiculous. and as someone above has said eventing might not even be in it. that descision in the IOC's and nothing to do with the organising comittee. i suppose i dont need to tell you lot on your side of the pond how much money reining is prepared to invest in gettingin and how many members of the American Quarter Horse Association that would back it? and then there is endurance. backed by the money of the maktoums. eventing people will smugly tell you neither of these sports currently fulfils olympic criteria (what ever those are) but do they relly think backer such as these havent thought of that and covered it.
    i am a born and bred south londoner by the way and both my brothers still live in the very part of london that will be affected if anyone is wondering.

Great Post but south of the river??? Dear oh dear

(a little light hearted pi$$ take...lucretia will get it)

Lucetia: On a night bus going to a friends flat I sat next to two folks one who said they lived in Claaahm Common and other Ba-ter-sia...I get so annoyed by that, I started laughing and when asked where I lived, I replied Chizwee.
    Last edited by snoopy; Aug. 15, 2008 at 08:40 PM.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Random question...does Mark Phillips speak in Cockney slang?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!