The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default TBs in Arizona Feedlot--Rescued!!

From the Pedigree Query Forum:
    Seattle Bound, Mr. Bolger, Dante's Inferno, Kriss Kross, two other unnamed stallions, and 40 pregnant mares have wound up in a feedlot in AZ, going through a kill buyer's auction tomorrow. Apparently their papers are still with them. They were apparently given away to someone recently and have surfaced at this auction.

If anyone chooses to help, Priscilla at Tranquility Farm is trying to put together funds to at least rescue Seattle Bound. And some TB people in AZ are planning on going to the auction.

www.tranquilityfarmtbs.org
    They are from Warren's Thoroughbreds in California and Kris Kross and Dante's Inferno have lovely sport horse pedigrees.

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!
    Last edited by vineyridge; Aug. 15, 2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Update
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Default URGENT! CA TBs at AZ Kill feedlot (40 preg. mares + 6 studs). Don't PO FL owner!!

Changed the title to protect the effort. If the Feedlot owner gets harassed, he might not bother to auction; might just ship the horses out.

From the Pedigree Query Forum:
    Seattle Bound, Mr. Bolger, Dante's Inferno, Kriss Kross, two other unnamed stallions, and 40 pregnant mares have wound up in a feedlot in AZ, going through a kill buyer's auction tomorrow. Apparently their papers are still with them. They were apparently given away to someone recently and have surfaced at this auction.

If anyone chooses to help, Priscilla at Tranquility Farm is trying to put together funds to at least rescue Seattle Bound. And some TB people in AZ are planning on going to the auction.

www.tranquilityfarmtbs.org
    This is obscene!
    Last edited by vineyridge; Aug. 2, 2008 at 06:44 PM.

I am in Northern California but am willing to take a couple of them. Is anyone going that I can pay to bid and take care of the coggins and health certificates?

That's terribly sad.

Warren's stands (or has stood) some really nice horses, including Larry the Legend (not such a hot sire, but still...)

40 pregnant mares...that is criminal.

Default Can we get COTH together on this?

It's been a while since we did a TB fundraiser...

I'm game...

how much $$ can we raise before the auction?

I'll Visa $50.00 to start and send this to all my friends...

EqT
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Tranquility Farms at the website listed is working on things. You could contact them for assistance in saving something from the wreckage.

The horses are all from Warren's Thoroughbreds in California, and that is/was not a bottom feeding operation. But they are apparently taking no responsibility here.

You can read lots more information on where the horses are, who has them, and what the Friends of Barbaro/Alex Brown Racing folks are working on here:
    http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/mess...wn&msg=27083.1

Tranquility Farms is a very reputable Southern California TB rescue and retirement organization.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Aug. 2, 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Where is the auction at? My friend could possibly take one temporarily and she is in Cottonwood.

Let me know when and where and I can maybe drive there tomorrow.

Okay, I finally have to say it. I hate the sport of racing with a passion. Yep I'll get flamed. I also think eventing is about stupid too!
    I'm sick of being politically correct about things. I just read this discussion topic & emailed the racing association. I'm sure only some secretary will get it & discard it but I wish they were inundated with thousands of emails daily to let them know what we all think about their disregard of life.
    Poor horses. Sounds like some of them are very well bred also. What crap!

This just kills me.

These are nice enough horses that homes can be found for them. I hate this "you have 24 hours to save 46 horses" crap. I don't know who did what to whom or why these horses ended up at risk in a lot in Arizona, but sheesh! And I might add, they probably would have been easier to sell (to real homes) still in California.

On the good side, it sounds like the dealer knows what he has (thank goodness there are still papers), and that he'll probably sell them to buyers who want horses rather than meat... if for no other reason than he'll probably make an extra $100 a head (at least).

Grrrrrrr.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Boy I'm really tired but here's my effort to communicate what's going on - and MAJOR thanks are due to Vineyridge who... cares. I will cross post this to the racing forum thread too (apologies to any mods that find that offensive - please delete one if you feel the need to).

We know that roughly 46 horses are on a known dealer/kill buyer lot in AZ. They all originate from Warrens Thoroughbreds, here in southern CA.

We have no idea if/how many will be at auction tomorrow, but someone will be there to check. That person will NOT have any funds to purchase.

There are home offers on Seattle Bound (Tranquility) and Dantes Inferno (KY), two of the Warrens stallions.

The dealer is attempting to make above meat price on as many of them as possible - and AZ racing and breeding connections are apparently aware of the situation.

if anyone can provide a home for a pregnant TB mare, or (geez) a former TB breeding stallion, please contact Priscilla Clark at info@tranquilityfarmtbs.org.
    There is a contact number on the website.

And yes - please - exposure is probably the only thing that can help stop this stuff from happening with zero owner responsibility. Breeding mares to stallions, until the June Barretts sales results were in? Sorry guys; this isn't the way to dispose of your own mistakes.

Boy I'm really tired but here's my effort to communicate what's going on - and MAJOR thanks are due to Vineyridge who... cares. I will cross post this to the racing forum thread too (apologies to any mods that find that offensive - please delete one if you feel the need to).

We know that roughly 46 horses are on a known dealer/kill buyer lot in AZ. They all originate from Warrens Thoroughbreds, here in southern CA.

We have no idea if/how many will be at auction tomorrow, but someone will be there to check. That person will NOT have any funds to purchase.

There are home offers on Seattle Bound (Tranquility) and Dantes Inferno (KY), two of the Warrens stallions.

The dealer is attempting to make above meat price on as many of them as possible - and AZ racing and breeding connections are apparently aware of the situation.

if anyone can provide a home for a pregnant TB mare, or (geez) a former TB breeding stallion, please contact Priscilla Clark at info@tranquilityfarmtbs.org.
    There is a contact number on the website.

And yes - please - exposure is probably the only thing that can help stop this stuff from happening with zero owner responsibility. Breeding mares to stallions, until the June Barretts sales results were in? Sorry guys; this isn't the way to dispose of your own mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    Okay, I finally have to say it. I hate the sport of racing with a passion. Yep I'll get flamed. I also think eventing is about stupid too!
    I'm sick of being politically correct about things. I just read this discussion topic & emailed the racing association. I'm sure only some secretary will get it & discard it but I wish they were inundated with thousands of emails daily to let them know what we all think about their disregard of life.
    Poor horses. Sounds like some of them are very well bred also. What crap!
    Don't you think this happens in other breeds/disciplines where being less prominent, nobody takes note and the same thing happens? For example, if the trailer load of drafts this spring hadn't been involved in a wreck, wouldn't they have been in exactly the same situation?
    Dee
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Don't you think this happens in other breeds/disciplines where being less prominent, nobody takes note and the same thing happens? For example, if the trailer load of drafts this spring hadn't been involved in a wreck, wouldn't they have been in exactly the same situation?
    Dee
    Dee
    It does happen...it's not just racing but in nearly any situation where horses are being raised for profit in large numbers. I know of ranches who send truckloads of excess horses every fall to the killers. They continue to overbreed and what they can't sell for riding horses they ship for meat. That is why I believe the only way to stop overbreeding is to remove the reward for it. There are the PMU farms to whom the foals are just a side product also.

Um... no. I don't think any other **discipline** has ever produced 46 horses that went to the feedlot all at one time, I'd use the laughing icon but it's just not funny. In fact, it makes me want to lose my breakfast all over my keyboard. Where is the pucking icon when I need it?

I don't have time to read everything this AM but will be back after working to check.. these horses will be on my mind.

VINEYRIDGE: Can you edit the title of the original post to indicate the urgency of the situation with a request for help from west coast peeps? It might get more attention that way.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Where is the auction at? My friend could possibly take one temporarily and she is in Cottonwood.

Let me know when and where and I can maybe drive there tomorrow.
    Both the auction and the lot these horses are supposedly located at, are in Chandler.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Unfortunately I believe it happens to every discipline but not to the degree that is found in racing. I have a friend who is a beekeeper. About 10 years ago he was putting hives out in FL & found a place that had over 100 dead greyhounds there. All had been shot in the head. They were in various stages of decay. Most were just skeletons. I truly think that is how many people in the racing industry view their horses. As just money makers. When they can't make money they are sent to the "junkyard". Yes, I hate the PMU industry or any industry or sport that might endanger the lives of the animals.
    But no I'm not blind to the abuse in other areas of equestrian sport. It makes me want to go give extra carrots to my wonderful horses.
    What really scares me also is the lack of compassion displayed towards these animals has to carry over into other aspects of these abusers lives. Just sorry people.

Is the title change okay?