The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone out there with 4 kids and still riding???

We just found out we are expecting #4. Quite a shock! I'm just hoping I'll still have time for my #5 at the barn. So far with 3 kids it has worked out pretty well. I usually ride 3-4 times a week and was planning to take my mare to her first recognized this fall. I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there that has four kids and still manages to keep up a horse and show. Most of my serious horsey friends have no kids or maybe one. Anyone with any encouraging words.....?????

YOU ROCK!!!! I only have one 3 year old and I thought that was tough. I've talked to people with 3 and they say it is all in the way you manage your time. It sounds like you do that well so I bet you will do fine. Good Luck !!

Just 3 kids here. It helps that 2 ride!

Wink

Only three kids, but still riding 4-5 times per week. Helps to have a very good husband.

I figured I wouldn't get a huge response. Thanks, though, for the encouragement. I'm going to try and prove it can be done....for my sanity if nothing else. My others don't have much interest in horses, so maybe #4 will be my equestrian. (of course, I'm not sure if my husband wants to support two horses, etc.) We'll see.

I just got my #4 potty trained. 10 years of diapers. I don't ride but my kids have a pony they are learning to ride, so we spend a couple hours at the barn everyday. It's hard with the 3 year old. I have a little chair for her and she's good about staying in it when I need her to be out of harms way. Where there is a will there is a way. You've done great so far-and you'll have some little "helpers" this time.

I only have 3 and they are all grown up. The last is my only rider. I managed to swing the eventing thing when they were little but not full steam till the youngest was about 3. I love seeing Darrah and Jenny out there with their babies in tow, and Louise before them showing it can be done. Now I have grand baby #1 and she'd better have the bug!! It'll drive her father, our son, crazy if he has to tolerate the horse thing all over again!

Smile

You go SweetieG! You are my inspiration! I have just one, 10 months old, but still mange to ride 3x/week. I bought my first horse while 4 months pregnant (I'll admit now it was a hormonal decision). Thanks for letting me know it can be done!

Great thread!

2 kids, neither ride; 11 year old is passionate about Soccer!

I get 25% Ride Time...it is all good

We have six but I don't ride. We do have horses at home however, and my kids ride.
    I just wanted to say that we have a saying around here, "after three, who's counting"!
    Really, three is the hardest number. I don't think you will find four much different, for anything you do. Hopefully you have done your homework so that your older ones can share in a lot of the watching.
    btw, in our world, six is not very many. We know lots of large families. They all say it....Really, after three, who's counting!
    Congratulations! Every meal is a picnic!

Thanks, again, everyone. I enjoyed hearing about your families and how you get it done!

Default Anyone out there with four kids

Four kids - three boys first - none of whom ride but got a vet in the middle son Yippee!! Fourth was a daughter. I said in the delivery room - "oh dear what will I do with a girl the boys were so easy" I answered my own question by saying you will ride and you will LOVE IT. Luckily she did and still does - having turned professional right out of her last junior year.

Made every dream I have ever had come true. WE rode and played together for 15 years. She placed in the top 20 in the country in both major National equitation finals her final year and had a BLAST doing it. Not a ton of money so we trailered horses non stop for years and years to help with expenses - she was always right there beside me. We used to laugh and say I bet not many of her fellow competitors would come home after a weekend of twenty hour show days and help there mom haul five horses home, feed them, blanket them and than go put the trailer away so I would have the truck to drive carpool in the morning. It helps that I had a TERRIFIC kid with a great work ethic. I kept my crazy Irish sporthorse jumper throughout all the years and rode almost daily, including bringing him to the shows if there was a space left in the trailer. Lots of exhaustion but tons of fun.

Helped that horse crazy girl came last. Not sure what I would have done otherwise as before that I had not touched a horse for 15 years ( rode as a kid) as the boys had ZERO interest. To them it meant hooking up the trailer late at night for colicking horse and mom gone for hours on end. But I did put in 15 yeas of soccer games and basketball tournaments with them before the horse years took over our lives. Yes it helps big time to have an understanding husband and even than sometimes the HORSE obsession ( I also manage a 16 stall barn ) can get just too much.

4 is a FABULOUS number and my kids are each other's best friends to this day.

BEST of luck Have fun.

let me start by saying we quit calling our middle two "oh shit and dammit" just before they got od enough to understand it!! LOL!! (Just kidding)
    We have four, 17, 13,12,and 7,, all of them ride so that is a big help, but a big drain on finances,, we all have our own horses and some of us have more than one,, Time management was a BIG deal when they were little and in diapers and not riding on thier own, then when they were riding, a GREAT kids horse was invaluable,, still is.
    Remember to make time to ride on your own, not everyday should be "kid lesson day"
    it also helps to have a hubby that rides, and we keep horses at home. Of course if we didnt we would never be able to afford it!!

Hang in there!!
    "Energy efficient vehicle. Runs on grass and oats. CAUTION: Avoid exhaust!"
    I think we should eat trolls.
    Troll meat. Now that's good eatin'.
    by Hiddenlake

I have three kids, two girls, 15 and 13, and a boy, 11. All three ride, although the boy is not as enthusiastic. I still ride, had a fabulous ride on my Spuddy buddy this afternoon, while my two girls also rode. All three kids are in Pony Club, we have way too many horses, which we keep at home, all three help with the chores, but I have very little money to compete. I honestly really didn't ride much while they were little, mostly because I was totally committed to being their primary caregiver. I've had horses all along though. It can be done!

Four rocks! I have an almost 6 year old, 3 year old twins and then my 18 month old.

You can have your cake and eat it too, but the size of the cake is a little smaller and you have to figure out how and when to eat it. But it's definitely do-able. No doubt.

You just have to make it happen. Time, like money is a question of priorites.

I'm the mother of 5 children ages 7 to 20 and work outside the hoouse fulltime. I find time to ride at least 4 times a week. most days I'm so tired when I get hme from work that I just want to sit down on the couch and take a break. If I just force myself to get out there and tack up I find energy reserves I didn't think I had. My horse is my therapist...and lord knows I need one with toddlers and teenagers in the same house. It's actually pretty humorous, but when my older kids want to tell me something they know I'm not going to want to hear they offer to watch the younger ones so I can go for a nice LONG ride or I'll hear them asking each other quietly when the last time was that I went for a ride. I've stopped feeling guilty about the time my riding takes from the family and have come to see that it provides a form of stability to our family life through my improved mental health.
    Get out there and make it work!