The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Don't tell me that show managers/show ground owners aren't making money, either!! I've done the simple math on the number of stalls sold, horses per division (hey, lots of time to sit and ponder at hunter shows---hurry up and wait...) and they are a cash cow!!

I hate that stall fees are gigantic for A shows, and drop dramatically for C or "breed" shows at the same facility!! So stupid. And, here in the PNW, the shavings that you must buy, when we are awash in wood chips most of the time?--and some shows get mightily pissed if you bring your own in!! Are you kidding me??

Our barn sticks to smaller shows to be affordable for our "real world clients". Too bad the local big A shows can't figure that out.

Make stalls and bedding affordable and more folks will come!!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    I just posted to another thread on showing.

I volunteer at a local schooling show and our attendance was way up for the first show of our seasons this year. I think everyone is staying closer to home. .
    My trainer began holding six local shows per year for his kids that don't do the rated shows and for those of us who do the rated shows to have a good place to practice. He usually hires an "r" or "R" judge and provides plenty of different classes for all levels. Anyway, the past two seasons, these shows have exploded. They have gotten so large that he now has to have two judges/rings going all day. Entries are $10/class and stalls are $25 with first bedding and disposal. Last weekend, I showed in five classes in front of an "r" judge for less than $80, including my trainer fees and consession stand bill! Next weekend, I'm off to a B show, where I'll show in four classes in front of an "R" judge for probably $500/total. And then there are the A shows. Ugh. I can only afford to the locals, three B shows, and one A this year and that will be a stretch.
    Last edited by chawley; Jun. 18, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

It kills me when the shows charge a HUGE late fee or scratch fee. I can understand a late entry fee! But Old Salem now charges $75.00 to scratch a horse or if you enter late! IMHO thats just wrong, I can see $25.00 but $75.00??? I just don't get it, so we had to pay $150.00 to scratch one week and add the other! crazy!

HMF:
    "I was looking at an entry form the other day and on top of the office fees, membership fees, number fee, etc... they were actually charging a $10 trophy fee. Explain that one!!!"

WHAT???? You sign over your first-born to GO to the damned show, win a class - and have to pay for the trophy??????? Are you F'cking KIDDING ME???? Y'need to find a new discipline.

No kidding - I haven't shown in the h/j world in YEARS - or in any other world, for that matter - but these fees are CRAZY. The ONLY way to make your feelings known is to walk the talk - when no one PAYS the fees - and tell WHY - then just maybe things will change.

Holy schmoly.....
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by spmoonie View Post
    I dont even show on the A circuit(yet) and I can afford it. I am 14 yrs old and I have to get a job to pay for my shows. I can only afford one local show once a month at most. I usually cant even do that because I also have to pay for my horse's upkeep. Looks like I wont be getting that new saddle for a while. But I love what I do, so even if I dont get to show that much, I enjoy myself when I do.
    Yeah so I am a lurker. Big time.. But I read this and had to chime in.

KUDOS!! Any chance you can teach this skill and love to the kids in my barn? We need more youth with this dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    HMF:
    "I was looking at an entry form the other day and on top of the office fees, membership fees, number fee, etc... they were actually charging a $10 trophy fee. Explain that one!!!"

WHAT???? You sign over your first-born to GO to the damned show, win a class - and have to pay for the trophy??????? Are you F'cking KIDDING ME???? Y'need to find a new discipline.

No kidding - I haven't shown in the h/j world in YEARS - or in any other world, for that matter - but these fees are CRAZY. The ONLY way to make your feelings known is to walk the talk - when no one PAYS the fees - and tell WHY - then just maybe things will change.

Holy schmoly.....
    What show was this? That's hilarious though, in a pitiful way...
    Show manager: "Congratulations Tidy Rabbit! You're today's big winner! However, you'll have to pay another XXX dollars to get your prizes."

Tidy Rabbit says: "Nevermind, I'll take second place!"

Yes, show management is raking it in like the oil companies. That High Prairie Summer Circuit in July in CO will have about 700+ head towards the middle of its run. That's a lot of cash being taken it.

This may be slightly off topic from the OP original thread...but on the same note of how expensive showing is getting, here is my light bulb moment I am experiencing...

I have been waiting to show at the A level for quite some time - approximately 20 years First I was learning, then i never had quite the right horse, so I got into eventing (much fun btw!), but still, my heart and dreams lay in the golden grand prix ring. Finally I found a nice horse, a youngster with the quality to compete one day. Now she is ready to start getting her perfect little hoofs wet in the hunter ring - but the money it will take I just can not justify...and i'm not talking about the entry fee...nooo! I mean the week long stabling (for all my classes in one day), the admin fee, the memberships (even temporary), nomination, feeding/bedding ('cause apparantly the $30/day paid for full board isn't transferable), gas, hotel (?) - forget it!

We went to a pre-season schooling show and my budget was $500...I had to cancel my last day of classes (4) because I was already at my limit, not including trailering.

However I do not say all this to whine - there is a positive message

That $500 was well spent. My dream came true and I showed at the 'fancy' show and it was actually a lot of fun, but more than that was the proud accomplishment that I had taken my baby and trained her myself. We didn't win anything - classes were huge and dominated by BNT (but I don't want to go there), but we met the goals I had set and I realized this is nothing but a SHOW - literally! I'm not so into that aspect anymore and I don't need to spend my money to look and be looked at.

So I've decided to invest more money into training/lessons/clinics, because I'm more about becoming a better rider and improving my horse's ability

body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

Ugh, tell me about it. I think I paid $175 to show one day at HITS in Florida in the jumpers... and get this... UNRATED!!!!!! No stall! Walked over from the barn to the show!!!!!!

I did a whopping two AA shows last year, and it will be less this year. I love the h/j shows, and the jumpers are my life, but I simply CANNOT afford it. Even doing my own braiding/feeding/mucking/training.

I also do not understand this. WHY do I have to pay $150 for a stall if I am staying ONE night, and it is the same if I stayed SIX nights?!? For the smaller As at the same facility it is $75 a night, and then $125 for 2+. Makes so much more sense!

Anyway I am 17 and work my tail off to keep my tank filled, my phone working, and my smart paks coming! Shows are not happening as much as last year...

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I remember giving some thought to trying to qualify for WIHS in the adults. I did my first Classic, was second and being second in a CLASSIC did not pay the entry fee for that class alone!!!

However, the numbers haven't dropped at any show I have been to this year. It's good fro my income, but none of th eshow managers are going to be lowering prices any time soon.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Well, the explosion of fees at the "industrial" shows just might be a blessing in disguise for some of us--the ones who used to enjoy showing as a fun thing to do and not primarily as a business venture.

I *really* miss the old shows which were often for a charitable cause and far more laid back. (and had 2-3 rings with everything from pet pony to fine harness)

Doubt they'll return, but an upswing in the local stuff would be fun.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I was just discussing with my trainer today how flipping RIDICULOUS it is when a hunter division runs the O/F classes one day and then finishes the division with the hack THE NEXT DAY.

WTF?
    Oh, ok, I'll just stay in the hotel an extra night, get up to braid twice for the same damn division, pay the grounds fee twice, school the horse twice when he could just have the day off after his O/F classes, hang around an extra day (nobody's family ever bitches that they spend too much time with the horses, I'm sure, so this extra day for one hack class is NO PROBLEMO.), and all for an 8 minute hack class that could have just been run when the O/F was finished.
    Suuuuure.

My trainer and I decided the best strategy would be to win all the O/F classes, collect the champion, and go home on day one and let everyone else duke it out for reserve.

Absolutely agree! This is why I've elected to do a small, but nice and well attended local circuit this year with my students. They hold 2 "C" shows a year and 8 or so local shows. We're also planning on hitting one or two bigger rated shows, but in general, it's just too much! Especially for my students who do all the unrated divisions anyway. This way, they can go to 12 or shows this year for the total cost of what some of you are paying on one show! And, all the kids or moms learn how to braid and everyone grooms for each other.
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

We have quite a few clients that are showing less due to the poor economy.

Many of our Northern CA shows still sell out, often before the close of the entries so I won't bank on their fees going down or staying the same next year.

YES! I feel like I am the only one at shows who thinks this. Everyone seems to write off those checks like it's no problem, while I try to explain to my poor father why we are paying all these retarded fees when i have NO IDEA myself. I work really really hard for the shows I get to, and more often than not end up sucking, thus any chance of winning back money. At 16, I worked my butt off for a year and scrimped and saved- yet I can only pay for about half of the show. I just want to have a good time, but it's a bit difficult when so much money is involved just to enter. It makes me mad as a hornet to see Ms. Equitation/Hunter/Jumper Princess walk up to her perfectly groomed warmblood, whom she hasn't ridden herself in over a month, win all her classes, and hop off to throw the ribbon/trophy in the bottom of her tack trunk. I mean, honestly.
    Thoroughbreds: classic

Turn. N. Burn.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I was just discussing with my trainer today how flipping RIDICULOUS it is when a hunter division runs the O/F classes one day and then finishes the division with the hack THE NEXT DAY.

WTF?
    Oh, ok, I'll just stay in the hotel an extra night, get up to braid twice for the same damn division, pay the grounds fee twice, school the horse twice when he could just have the day off after his O/F classes, hang around an extra day (nobody's family ever bitches that they spend too much time with the horses, I'm sure, so this extra day for one hack class is NO PROBLEMO.), and all for an 8 minute hack class that could have just been run when the O/F was finished.
    Suuuuure.

My trainer and I decided the best strategy would be to win all the O/F classes, collect the champion, and go home on day one and let everyone else duke it out for reserve.
    yes. And one of the farms that hosts local circuit shows in my area does the same thing. B rated. I say forget it. But the local circuit in my area is corrupt anyway, which is another story...

but I am liking your strategy

Quote Originally Posted by c_expresso View Post
    Ugh, tell me about it. I think I paid $175 to show one day at HITS in Florida in the jumpers... and get this... UNRATED!!!!!! No stall! Walked over from the barn to the show!!!!!!

I did a whopping two AA shows last year, and it will be less this year. I love the h/j shows, and the jumpers are my life, but I simply CANNOT afford it. Even doing my own braiding/feeding/mucking/training.

I also do not understand this. WHY do I have to pay $150 for a stall if I am staying ONE night, and it is the same if I stayed SIX nights?!? For the smaller As at the same facility it is $75 a night, and then $125 for 2+. Makes so much more sense!

Anyway I am 17 and work my tail off to keep my tank filled, my phone working, and my smart paks coming! Shows are not happening as much as last year...
    OT - I am reading this and reading the post from the 14 year old who pays for everything and realize I need to revamp what is happening in my house. If you asked my 16 almost 17 year old what her horse's smart pak cost, I doubt she could tell you. If you asked her how much her entry fees are (eventing only), coaching fees, etc. I doubt she could tell you. She CAN tell you how much a lesson costs because she ditched her trainer without my knowledge to go to the mall once and I made her pay that - its never happened again! The fact that neither of my children have a clue that I do what I can with my horse all the while supplying them with horses actually cut out for eventing coupled with what I outlay each and every month is entirely my fault, but you know what? I am going to print out these posts and change some things...
    Last edited by Picasso; Jun. 19, 2008 at 09:45 PM.

My own straw that broke this camels back is a $50 "add/scratch" fee. Touted as a one time only fee...please tell me how that helps me? See...I have an older horse. I am older. We come well experienced and prepared for ONE division. No pick and choose from a myriad of prep and schooling classes-I don't add or scratch. The one time I DID scratch, the dam show was running real late and they estimated a 7:30 start for my 35 entry x 2 trips division. Meaning a wrap up in the dark on a class originally estimated to go at 1pm following one of those warm ups they kept taking adds after it started-ended up with 90 some in there x 2 trips and a frequently empty ring. I was one of quite a few ladies who gave up.

Mind you, we asked if they would move it to one of the other 5 now vacant rings with judges still on property...or stop taking adds. But nooooo.

Soooo, you'll love this one. After we left they DID move it to another ring and ran it with whoever was left, maybe half stayed. When we went to check out, they claimed the add/scratch was only if you did it the day BEFORE and we had to pay for the class because it was day of. Yet they let all those warm up people add day of and push our class right off the clock.

And no, none of us paid for it. Got ugly. Last time for that management group and moi.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

PNW, I hear you about the costs. I havent shown at any rated shows this year because of the costs. I have been doing the local schooling shows. I miss showing terribly, but just cant afford it with the rise in everything. I think my trainer and I are going to look into the QH breeds, just because you get more prize $$$. We should all hook up and go to the worlds. Only 1 horse went clean in the jumpers last year at 3'6. Break out Oliver. Stalls should definately be cheaper if we are having to provide our own shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by cabopony View Post
    PNW, I hear you about the costs. I havent shown at any rated shows this year because of the costs. I have been doing the local schooling shows. I miss showing terribly, but just cant afford it with the rise in everything. I think my trainer and I are going to look into the QH breeds, just because you get more prize $$$. We should all hook up and go to the worlds. Only 1 horse went clean in the jumpers last year at 3'6. Break out Oliver. Stalls should definately be cheaper if we are having to provide our own shavings.
    I've been keeping an eye out for QHs because that circuit is so much fun and SOOOO much cheaper to show on. But sadly, I'm hooked on the big jumpers and the fences just don't get big enough on that circuit. But if a nice one came along I certainly wouldn't hesitate to add some QH shows to my schedule! (god knows I could afford it in comparison to our shows!)