The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Me too. People in non populated areas tend not to, but my guess is that they could not compete for a HOTY national award unless they sent their horse to another part of the country. Zone awards are of course very attainable under these guidelines. My feeling is that if you have a lovely horse that is that competitive, you will want it to show with the best. This system beats the fast trailer all day long. The best ones will win. It will also be good for management in that people will wnat to show up with all they can to get more points.

Silverbells:
    Your comment that "Schooling breaks and "ringtime" are a problem EVERYWHERE... all venues. Why single out the HB shows?" - I am sorry but I just don't agree with this at all. I have not been to the IHF that is being referred to in the article, but I do show a lot up and down the East Coast. And it is just not a problem everywhere, at least at the A shows that I attend.

I agree that the IHF asks too much out of the babies. That is why I did not nominate my now 2 year old, even though I could have. I want her to last and no amount of money would make me ask too much of her too soon.

The IHF show "referred to in this artice" was in Kentucky. There were extenuating circumstances due to inclement weather that took some people by suprise including exhibitors and management. Closely monitored schooling sessions allowing 3-4 max in a ring at a time or something to that effect.

Now, regarding the A shows you frequent up and down the east coast... we must attend entirely different shows. Schooling breaks are not something you see too often at shows outside of Zone 2 and they are scary to say the least.
    Ring time in the mornings at ALL shows are crowded and unmonitored. I am referring to Devon, HITS, Harrisburg, Capital Challenge and so on... horrible accidents have happened resulting in both fatal injuries to both horse and rider. BUT that's another thread...

Monalisa... I am glad you have found some A shows that are safe in your opinion. The IHF does not ask too much out of babies. There are choices that owners and breeders can opt for. I agree that the program may need to be re-evaluated and re-structured possibly.
    For you to make to make such an ambiguous statement "The IHF asks too much from Horses"... is absurd and please forgive me, but shows ignorance.
    If the North American breeding programs are going to have a chance.... this type of thinking needs to be taken with a grain of salt!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    There is a simple answer. Take a page from the QH people. If you win the 2 yr. old class with 30 in it, you get 30 points. If you win with 5 horses in it, you get 5 points. This will affect your national points and zone. Doesn't matter where you show. If you win out of 30 it will still count for your zone. So toss this around a bit.
    While they do award points by how many is in the class - that is not quite the point scale.

I don't remember exactly but for AQHA it is something like:

1-3 - you get 1/2 point for winning

4-7 - you get 1 point for winning, 1/2 for second

8 - ? you get 1 1/2 points for winning, 1 for second, 1/2 for third.

Very hard to get any points unless you are always the winner. One reason I stopped showing QH

BUT I do like that idea. Especially over how it is now - where you can get more points if there are NO other entries than if you won over several but did not get BYP or reserve.

Maybe time for a rule change???
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Mel, you're close, but there are no AQHA points awarded if there are only 1 or 2 horses in the class.

Here is the points system:

CHART 415A
    No. of
    entries in - 1st - 2nd - 3rd - 4th - 5th - 6th - 7th - 8th - 9th - 10th
    class
    3-4 - 1/2
    5-9 - 1 - 1/2
    10-14 - 2 - 1 - 1/2
    15-19 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1/2
    20-24 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1/2
    25-29 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1/2
    30-34 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1/2
    35-39 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1/2
    40-44 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1/2
    45 & more - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1/2

In halter points are also awarded for Grand and Reserve, based on the number of horses in the largest class. It's a little harder to explain, but for example if your 2YO mare defeats the aged mare for Grand, and there were more horses in the aged class you 2YO will get extra points for the grand.
    Last edited by jvanrens; Jan. 1, 2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Needed to fix chart
    ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

Silverbells:
    You are very rude. Calling someone ignorant on this Board is simply uncalled for and just totally unneccessary. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I believe we can have opinions without being rude. Rudeness will get you nowhere in this world.

I must not be too ignorant though - my mare, which I bought as a 3 year old has won year end awards up and down the East Coast at the best shows in the country. She is now 14 and if I had started showing her at 3 or 4 I can tell she would not be the competive horse that she is today at her age. I hope you have done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    Hey, Pwynn, you must be or have been a school teacher.
    College.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I'll answer that one because we do a lot of shows (not 35, but last year we did 20) and I can assure you, our horses are HORSES and very sane and happy. Our season starts the end of March, but has numerous breaks in it (like the entire month of July).
    These seems a good a place as any to congratulate you on the article in "Equussource" (the Southern States magazine).
    Last edited by Janet; Jan. 1, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Futurities of all sorts are a double edged sword.

But that is different from showing in hand.
    Janet

Thank you, Janet. I am very proud of the work we do, and Junior deserves the recognition.

Speaking of work, must go do afternoon chores!!! Happy New Year!!!!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    Silverbells:
    You are very rude. Calling someone ignorant on this Board is simply uncalled for and just totally unneccessary. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I believe we can have opinions without being rude. Rudeness will get you nowhere in this world.

I must not be too ignorant though - my mare, which I bought as a 3 year old has won year end awards up and down the East Coast at the best shows in the country. She is now 14 and if I had started showing her at 3 or 4 I can tell she would not be the competive horse that she is today at her age. I hope you have done the same.
    There is a difference... I didn't call you ignorant, I merely pointed out the ignorance I perceived in your statement. Sorry ... maybe I should have phrased it using words like "lack of knowledge" etc...
    I am glad your mare did so well over the past decade. Help the IHF with an optimistic and positive approach... sort of "glass half full" ...
    It just frustrates me to see people talk...talk...talk... Actions speak louder than words! Get involved!

Laurie P... your and Junior's tireless efforts are amazing!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    Check us out on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBalls View Post
    Monalisa... For you to make to make such an ambiguous statement "The IHF asks too much from Horses"... is absurd and please forgive me, but shows ignorance.
    Lack of knowledge may have been a better choice of words... a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. Sorry
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    Check us out on Facebook