The George H. Morris Horsemastership Training Session has become an iconic way to kick off the new year in the hunter/jumper world, and on Jan. 5-7, the educational opportunity returns.
Twelve young riders from across the country have convened on Wellington, Florida, to learn from clinicians Anne Kursinski, Kent Farrington, McLain Ward and Beezie Madden.
This is the 12th year of the Training Session, which for many years ran over five days with Morris teaching each day. Morris decided to simplify his schedule and the 2015 edition was the last one that he taught. In 2016 and 2017, the clinic was reduced to three days and featured guest clinicians, which is the format again in 2018.
The Chronicle will be ringside throughout the Training Session bringing you daily reports and will have more in-depth coverage in the Jan. 29 Legends & Traditions Issue of The Chronicle of the Horse magazine. Here’s what you need to know:
- When: Friday, Jan. 5, 8:00 a.m. – Anne Kursinski flatwork demonstration
Friday, Jan. 5, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. – Anne Kursinski teaches flatwork to Groups 1 & 2
Saturday, Jan. 6, 8:00 a.m. – Kent Farrington gymnastics demonstrationSaturday, Jan. 6, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. – Kent Farrington teaches gymnastics to Groups 1 & 2
Sunday, Jan. 7, 8:30 a.m. – McLain Ward oversees Nations Cup Round 1
Sunday, Jan. 7, 9:45 a.m. – McLain Ward oversees Nations Cup Round 2
- Who: The 12 riders include: Alyce Bittar (Los Angeles, California); Samantha Cohen (New York, New York); Caitlyn Connors (Glen Mills, Pennsylvania); Natalie Dean (Palo Alto, California); Kendra Duggleby (Cleveland, New York); Delaney Flynn (Scottsdale, Arizona); Cecily Hayes (Brentwood, California); McKayla Langmeier (East Granby, Connecticut); Hannah Loly (Rancho Santa Fe, California); Sara McCloskey (Pound Ridge, New York); Alexandra Pielet (Highland Park, Illinois); Olivia Woodson (Wellington, Florida)
In addition, the following participants will join the Training Session as Assistant Stable Managers, selected from the 2017 USHJA Emerging Athletes Program National Training Session: Michael Golinowski (Burke, Virginia); Natalie Radosevich (Farmington Hills, Michigan); Taylor Wohler (Folsom, California).
- How To Follow Along: The Chronicle will be covering each day’s sessions of the action, so make sure to follow along at coth.com and on Twitter and Instagram @Chronofhorse.
- How To Watch: USEF Network is live-streaming each session. (You can get access to live streaming by signing up for a fan membership with the code GeorgeMorris18.)
- How To Read More: We at COTH have been covering the GHM Horsemastership Training Session with daily reports since 2011—read them all!