• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Post Rating System (THUMBS!!!) -- The Verdict is IN post 171; polls are closed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't it Nero who used this for the ultimate price? The audience got to "vote" for life or death? Anyway, I think the whole concept of a thumbs up or down destroys thought process and reasoned discourse. Why do that. We have enough trouble with that in the world as it is, no point in creating another way of dodging reflecting on fixed notions. Maybe it gets a bit hot sometimes but so what?
    "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

Seriously MOD, you made it post how people voted in the poll? Gee, great way for YOU to cause even more controversy, by your outting people on how they feel regarding this very contenentious subject.
      "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

I don't like it. I was surprised that people have gone back to old posts and did the thumbs up and down - mostly downs, but some ups for old posts. I find it odd and even though it doesn't matter really, it just gives people who want to annoy you another opportunity to think they have.

I think of COTH as having a certain integrity and high-level knowedge base. This demeans that, imo, and makes the entire board look juvenile.

Comment

Originally posted by saje View Post
          OK, I gave you a thumbs down on this post, because of the "tantamount to bullying" and the general level of hysteria.

Bullying? Really?? Yes I know bullying is a real issue, but so is the need for a thicker skin all around. A "bad" on an inconsequential post and you are wounded? Seriously??

WHY does it matter so much?

Good grief people, get a GRIP.

Reading comprehension. I said ALMOST tantamount to bullying. Not that it is... that it is ALMOST is.
          ~Veronica
          "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
          http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

The only good thing about thumbs is that when we discuss thumbs, it helps me identify who all the asshats on the board are.

Pre-thumbs if you would have asked me the asshat to non asshat ratio around here, I'd have said 10% asshats. Thanks to thumbs and discussions thereof, I now realize we're batting 500 around this place. Good to know.
            ~Veronica

Comment

who knew you could click on the percentages and see the screen names? (well obviously someone did, but i didn't so thank for that tip!)

cool thing: there are *so many* people i have never heard of! i think i need to get out of my home base more lol!

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                The only good thing about thumbs is that when we discuss thumbs, it helps me identify who all the asshats on the board are.
                Yes. Yes it does.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
                  Seriously MOD, you made it post how people voted in the poll? Gee, great way for YOU to cause even more controversy, by your outting people on how they feel regarding this very contenentious subject.
                  But I thought we wanted all opinions out in the open? Isn't that the basis of the bitching about the red thumb thing, that names aren't linked to the thumbs?

Comment

Keep 'em, but they shouldn't be anonymous.
                    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

Some of y'all are putting WAY too much thought, emotion, and self-esteem into this whole thumb thing.
                      According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just a couple of data points for you:

In looking at the control panel options, if the post ratings are no longer made anonymous, the IDs of the raters are only visible to the person who made the post.

I'm not entirely sure how that would work if you disabled notifications for post ratings, for example.

We can easily change from thumb icons to YES/NO or +/-

Thanks for all of the feedback; we know the poll options aren't all inclusive...we can post another one that's more refined for follow-up feedback once we get a better idea of the big picture and what way folks are leaning towards.

Heck, we can even tweak things, do another trial period, and reevaluate.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
                        Mod 1

Comment

I voted to keep it the way it is. I like being able to agree or disagree without having to quote the post and saying so, especially if I don't have much to add. Although I usually add an indication of what I don't agree with.

I don't mind getting thumbs up/down; I know people aren't going to agree on everything, and that's fine with me. That's what makes for interesting conversation.
                          Jigga:
                          Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

There doesn't seem to be a choice for those of us who are good with the thumbs the way they are, or are equally happy if they go away. I suppose the Mods figure that those of us who feel way that don't need to vote.

I won't miss 'em if they go, but they do provide some amusement! Perfectly innocuous things get red thumbies - and I can only figure that the folks who give them are trying to make a statement that they don't like you or anything you say. Anything.

I expect they are the same folks that love to collect 10,000 "friends" on facebook, and feel validated by the number. I envision them obsessing about the red thumbies they receive (no validation there!) and assuming that other people actually care about red thumbies too. And that's where it gets so very amusing!

Liz

Comment

FFS, You posted a thread about that silly compression suit And I posted my opinion that it probably didn't do anything, but I guess if I owned one of the top race horses in the world it wouldn't be the worst use of my money to buy 1 of those suits for a 30 hour plane flight. It may be a waste of money, but stacked up against the millions, it's pocket change IMO.

On that thread, as I recall you had many good notifications on all your posts. Yay for you, I guess. I got quite a few red thumbs. I think the big difference here is I. Don't. Care.

Really, somebody didn't like me, compression suits, my opinion or all of the above. Ok... and? Other than kind of giggling at the mystery of the human response it wasn't worth much more of my thought or energy (compression suits. Who'd a think it?)

whoever said if you can't handle red thumbs, you're probably not suited for the internet was right!

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                              The thumbs make no sense.

For example, someone started a thread saying she was going to Europe, asking for suggests on tack shops/brands. I replied and told her about a German brand I like, HKM. Someone neg thummbed it. WHAT DOES that mean?

1. Someone thought that was bad advice, that poster doesn't like HKM
                              2. Someone thought it was incomplete advice, I should have explained more or given other options
                              3. Someone doesn't like the idea of me throwing out suggestions at all, the OP should figure it out on her own
                              4. Someone doesn't like me
                              5. Someone doesn't like Germany at all
                              6. Someone is annoyed that the OP is going on a trip and talking about it

Or a million other explanations...

The thumbs are wholly unhelpful. They aren't being used to truly "disagree" they're being used to say "I don't like you but I'm a coward so rather than say something-- I'll red thumb you."

And there's JUST as much piling on as before. Only now posters post something nasty AND go red thumb your post on that thread... and click your history and go red thumb all your past posts too out of spite.

It's juvenile, childish, and almost tantamount to bullying. I bet if it were linked to user names, OVERNIGHT you'd love 90% of the red thumbing. Overnight. If posters knew they'd be called out for passive-aggressive behavior-- they wouldn't do it. It's a supreme example of how mean people will act when they think no one will find out.

I also think it's turning this board into a really juvenile place. HSGF already exists if I want to chat with people who act like 13 year olds. Let's not do that here too.
                              Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

DMK, no worries I get red thumbed all over. I am pretty sure certain posters just click on my history and go red thumbing me to be nasty. I don't really care except the notifications CONSTANTLY coming up drive me batty. AND If someone really truly thinks I have said something wrong-- I'd like to KNOW. I like discussing things and I often have my mind changed. But a plain old thumb with no explanation tells me nothing.
                                ~Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by saje View Post
                                  But I thought we wanted all opinions out in the open? Isn't that the basis of the bitching about the red thumb thing, that names aren't linked to the thumbs?

Excuse you saje, maybe you want the Thumbs with the identifying names, but I have NEVER said I did. So do NOT include me in your personal statement of what is wanted.

I find the system way too gladiatorial. But then after having long ago read Colleen MCCullogh series on Rome, I have shockingly found the good old USA to be freakishly Rome reincarnated all over again.

Why keep this aspect of now yet another way to attack posters in a dogpile manner?
                                  "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

Those of us who like the thumbs down already knew who the asshats were,
                                    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Comment

Gladiatorial indeed ThisTooShallPass! You certainly came up swinging to answer a rhetorical question.

I happen to like the thumb system as it is. If they decide to attach names, that's fine too, I'll still use it. If it goes away altogether, so be it. And I don't care if my name is shown on the poll or not. I don't care if people pile on or not. I understand if people disagree with me or don't like the me they see on the board. It's not that big a deal and it won't ruin my day or hurt my feelings!

Originally posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
                                      Excuse you saje, maybe you want the Thumbs with the identifying names, but I have NEVER said I did. So do NOT include me in your personal statement of what is wanted.

I find the system way too gladiatorial. But then after having long ago read Colleen MCCullogh series on Rome, I have shockingly found the good old USA to be freakishly Rome reincarnated all over again.

Why keep this aspect of now yet another way to attack posters in a dogpile manner?

Comment

Meh - I am Switzerland on this topic <meaning Neutral.
                                        Did not see an option that suited me so did not vote.

I could care less who likes or dislikes my posts and find the Notifications listing bo-ring since it tells me nothing.
                                        The disappearing list of post numbers is useless unless you need to be reminded what you posted on a daily basis and frankly, I don't give a fig.

I'd prefer some repartee on the threads or a scathing PM from Lex or anyone else as long as the Ubercute Dog (or cat or horse or what-evah) pic is included.
                                        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

• Maybe, if we opt to keep the dislike, you have to write a reason whenever you "thumbs down" someone's post? That would probably get rid of the pettiness of the system and force people to think before they "thumbs down," as well as being constructive feedback for the poster.

Comment

Working...
                                          X