• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tell Me About Your Experience with Canine DM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell Me About Your Experience with Canine DM

My older standard poodle has been having lots of hind end problems, muscle mass loss, difficulty getting up, loses balance, etc...I've been taking him to a chiro, accupunture and laser therapy treatments for many months. He also has spinal chord fusion in his back as well as some issues with his back paw ... I think its called procipreoation? I know that spelling is wrong but its where if you flip his paw upside down he doesn't know its flipped. Chiro vet recommended that he go on gabapentin and tramadol because her treatments aren't working. He's seen vet before this which is why I started the chiro and other work, but I think he's gotten worse.

At any rate, vet looked at him and we are prescribing the meds, but he felt that he had some DM in the mix of just degeneration and arthritis. And Lar Par as well. I'd say he could be mid stage with some later stage symptoms - like he drops poop sometimes.

Would love to hear stories as sad as they are about the progression of this so I understand what real life things I should expect. And how long they lasted once diagnosed. After this visit I'm feeling like our days are numbered... but I'm not sure how quickly things will go...if you could share would greatly appreciate it.

I think all those symptoms can be attributed to just Laryngeal paralysis (not saying that's all the issue is). In my experience it's a gradual decline despite medical intervention

Comment

• Original Poster

How is Lar Par affecting hind end and the lack of feeling in the hind leg/paw or the reduced muscle mass and unsteadiness and inability to get up at times?

I thought those symptoms from the vet was from DM? and Lar Par effected the throat?

I'd really like to know the longevity and some timeline experiences. I understand that every dog is different but it might help me prepare.

Comment

I'm not familiar with Lar Par on a personal level but we let go of our GSD (my avatar) who had DM a few years ago. It is an ugly and crippling disease. He was only 8.

In retrospect we may have been earlier than most people would have let them go, but he was having proprioception issues as well, and I felt that he was feeling like he was letting us down by not being able to keep up like he used to. He viewed us and the farm as his job and I don't think he understood. His symptoms were a general listlessness and the toe-drag/proprioception issues behind. In his case the onset was quite rapid, he went from being a little funny behind to major condition loss and proprioception issues.

For us, once we got the diagnosis we pretty much scheduled the at-home visit for euthanasia. We had him PTS a month after the diagnosis, and spent that month spoiling the hell out of him. Our vet was not optimistic and explained that at the time, there is nothing shown to halt the progression of the disease and that you are running on borrowed time until QOL is a consideration.

(Hugs) I am so sorry. I hope it isn't DM and is simply perhaps something from the spinal cord fusion or a slipped disc.
        AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm so sorry Beowulf - that is tough.. but probably the right decision for his quality of life.

My dog has seen 3 vets over the course of this year. The first vet didn't mention DM as a possibility, but he's progressively gotten worse. The chiro/acupuncture vet didn't mention it either, but she also thought that if her treatment wasn't working that he was just on a pain management course as he was going to get worse. No one of course knows how long he has and currently he can walk around relatively well, but definitely has balance and issues getting up. He also still plays with the puppy but mostly he's laying down playing and she seems to be happy with that. They are actually really sweet together when they play.

The vet mentioned that some breeds like the Shepherds will get DM and also get bad very quickly. He said that other breeds didn't have quite the rapid progression... I just forgot to ask him a bunch of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by horsenut_8700 View Post
            I think all those symptoms can be attributed to just Laryngeal paralysis (not saying that's all the issue is). In my experience it's a gradual decline despite medical intervention
            Horsenut is correct. The CE I attended a while back was indicating that there seems to be a progressive loss of nerve function. The respiratory changes are usually noticed first, but with time hind limb ataxia is common.

Genetic DM starts in the back end and moves cranially

Comment

You can order the test for DM yourself from VetGen and do the cheek swab at home. Cost is less than $100

Comment

The DM test is available for $65 directly from OFA. My breed (Chesapeake) has a fairly high carrier rate. The test will tell you if your dog is N/N (clear), A/N, (carrier), or A/A (at risk). It cannot definitively tell you your dog has DM, although if the result is A/A it's a pretty good bet. The only way to have a 100% diagnosis of DM is postmortem, sadly.

Dogs with DM will drag their rear toes and wear the nails down to nothing, and once you've seen it, it's fairly easy to spot. However, the current thought is that there may be more than one form of DM. The existing test identifies one gene present, but it is a strong possibility it is a polygenic disease. Thats why the current genetic test says At Risk rather than Affected.
                "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
                -Richard S. Bach

Comment

Originally posted by altermetoday View Post
                  How is Lar Par affecting hind end and the lack of feeling in the hind leg/paw or the reduced muscle mass and unsteadiness and inability to get up at times?

I thought those symptoms from the vet was from DM? and Lar Par effected the throat?

I'd really like to know the longevity and some timeline experiences. I understand that every dog is different but it might help me prepare.
                  There is now some thinking that lar par can be an early onset of a more generalized, progressive neurodegeneration, and renaming to "Geriatric Onset Laryngeal Paralysis Polyneuropathy (GOLLP) has been suggested. Michigan State Vet School has been doing some research- google "GOLPP". There is much info online.

Comment

• Original Poster

Houndhill - thanks for the information. I will look that up.

this is all new to me. I've had a friend's shepherd who had DM and she went downhill pretty quickly. the vet did mention that it could be a form of DM mixed with everything else.

thanks for the responses... its so heartbreaking to watch him age like this. I was home all day yesterday and we spent a good bit of time together, however, about midday and evening I noticed that he just didn't want to get up to go outside. he will do it if its for something he's super interested in, but he's declining going outside with the other dogs which is highly unusual. :-(

Comment

Yes, I know the heartbreak so well, when they go downhill....seems putting a label on it is sometimes all we can do, if that.....

Comment

When my GSD started showing symptoms of losing muscle in his hind end I looked at youtube for similar situations and figured out that it was DM. It was horrible and heartbreaking. I put him down when he could no longer stand up to poop.
                        Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings. Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you king." ~Bob Dylan

Comment

Sorry to hear about your boys issues -

Slightly different but we had a Doberman that was diagnosed with Dancing Doberman Disease which is thought to be a peripheral neuropathy like issue. Neurologist also felt she may have had another separate neurological issue contributing as well. Her symptoms were very similar to DM, but a lot of neuro issues have the same symptoms as each other.

We did use both Gabapentin and Tramadol with her and they definitely made a difference in her comfort level. She lived about 3 years after the DDD diagnosis ultimately passed away from congestive heart failure. One big thing seems to be that they loose strength very quickly vs a normal dog. Keeping them active and moving consistently seems important for them to not deteriorate quicker. The gabapentin and pain meds helps with this because if there are nerve pain or arthritic issues bothering them, that can prevent them from moving as much.

In later stages my girl had very poor hind limb propriocetion and dragged her toes although not enough to cause over wearing or toe nail bleeding, which I know can happen in some cases. We had hind feet booties recommended if it started getting to that point.

Comment

• Original Poster

NorCal - did you do extra conditioning for your dog? I find it hard to walk my dog very long and vet recommended 3 short walks per day on flat ground if possible. I have a hill to get to flat ground on my property but probably walking him down and around the driveway areas would be enough to help.

Comment

Didn't do any hard core conditioning. Just making sure she went for a decent walk until tired - which didn't take long - probably 30 mins. Then making sure she got up and played, walked, ran around the yard throughout the day. Left to her own devices she would've spent the entire day taking old lady naps on the couch/dog bed. Our other dogs kept her more active too vs if it was only her.

The hill would probably be good for him - uphill would work the hind end more. But I would just do as much as you think he can handle. Don't force him to continue on if he seems tired or lethargic.

Comment

Working...
                              X