• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Clipping Kitty Claws -- Need Advice, Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping Kitty Claws -- Need Advice, Please

We went in for shots and checkups today and the vet said both kitties needed their front and back claws clipped.

I've never had vet say that before. He told me horror stories about claws getting so long they curve around, grown back in, between or through the pads, and back out again, or get caught in carpets, etc., and pulled out with lots of bleeding.

He clipped both kitties' claws and I thought maybe I need to learn how to do this. I don't know anyone who clips their cats' claws, so I figured I'd come here and ask.

Do you do it? How do you do it? I will probably look on YouTube for a tutorial but I would feel much better asking some of you what you do and, if you do, how.

My kitties' claws are so short now I'm glad they're indoor-only so don't have to try to climb any trees.

If you clip, do you file afterwards? The ends look not only blunt, but a little bit rough.

One cat, who has never been aggressive towards anyone, hissed and growled and tried to bite, then hid for twenty minutes afer we got home; the other kitty screamed bloody murder until they put a towel over her head; afterwards she was absolutely fine as if nothing had happened.

I'm not sure I want to put any of us through that again!
    Rack on!

Cat nails are very easy to do. Squish the paw so the nail come out, clip off the big point. Cats generally are very visible between the quick and the tip of the nail you can cut off and you don't need to go as close to a cat's quick as with a dog
    https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/images/li...1.jpg?sfvrsn=2

No need to file them, the cat can smooth them out on their own. I haven't had cats have too much issue with being done. I usually put them on my grooming table and hold a paw however seems comfortable and do them, most cats don't pay much mind. You can do one nail at a time as they are relaxed and laying around even.

Comment

I trim my two cats' claws every other week. Fronts only, they tear around the house like-well, cats and wear their back ones enough to stay blunt and short.

By keeping the fronts clipped, they rarely sharpen their claws on anything.

I started the younger one as a kitten, so she's used to it. She'll grumble and complain sometimes but stays still for it. The older one came used to having her claws clipped, but she's such a "lady" she'd probably have learned it quickly.

I sit on the floor in a brightly lit area, have a pocket full of their favorite treats and the small claw clippers (makes it sooo much easier to use rather than human nail clippers) and plop one in my lap. I have one arm around the cat and then holding a front paw, I use that hand to gently press on a pad to extend the claw and use the other hand to clip the claw. The only part that takes a little maneuvering is the dew claw, but you don't want to skip that one.
      Once I finish one paw, they get a treat. (I don't let go of them) and then swap to the other paw. After that they get scritches and treats. Takes all of about 1-2 minutes to do both fronts on one cat.
      I sit cross legged and have their butts/hind legs in the space between by legs so if they try to kick off to take off, my legs aren't taking the claw-filled kick.
      I don't wrap them or restrain them any more than that.
      But if your cat(s) are prone to laying on your lap, keep your clippers nearby and casually pet a paw, extend a claw and snip it while they're relaxed. Then treat, pet and ignore them. The usual response is Stink Eye as they try to figure out what the hell you just did, LOL!

Like anything, a little at a time and slowly and with tons of praise (cats can be a pita to train, they require you to worship them as you go along ) But many learn over time. If you start off wrapping them in the standard purrito package, they'll associate clipping with stress and anxiety. Try actually training them slowly first, the more stress avoided the better if possible.

Do be aware that some may never really tolerate it, same as dogs. Some are toenail-phobic even if started in handling as tiny youngsters.

How did the vet do it? Did they restrain the cat? Have a tech helping? How did the cat react?

Tons of indoor cats would benefit a lot from claw trimming, and a LOT of furniture would be saved.
      You jump in the saddle,
      Hold onto the bridle!
      Jump in the line!
      ...Belefonte

Comment

I cut my kitties' claws with few problems. I make a habit of gently massage their feet and expressing the claws when they sit in my lap. That way they are used to having their feet handled. I have a pair of cat claw clippers that look like a pair of scissors. I keep them on the table next to my chair. Cat in lap, gently express claws, snip, snip. If kitty starts objecting too much, I quit and do some more later.
        I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

I never trim my cats claws. The don't over grow like a dogs. They are more likely to shed them when they get too long. I find clipping them makes cats scratch the furniture more. Also my cats go outside and claws are their defense. Right now Buddy goes out and scratches her favorite tree in the yard.

Comment

Older cats will need to have them trimmed as just like old men they will get thick and gnarly

You can use a human fingernail clippers if they are superior quality and if you turn it sideways so that it cuts across the flat part of the nail (so perpendicular to the paw)

Use the scissor type of trimmers and not Resco or guillotine clippers if you do get pet clippers.

Comment

Best to do it when the cat is feeling sleepy. If you are having a hard time, don't worry about getting them all done in one go. Be careful not to cut the quick. Better to under-trim than over trim. I only trim one of mine. The other one would not be well behaved most likely, but she has a little better control over hers while the other one sometimes forgets to "unhook" out of things (like my curtains! ) or kneads me too much with his claws.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me, I'm due to trim the kitties. None of them like it, but all tolerate it. I don't take no for an answer, though I agree one doesn't have to do the entire cat's worth of nails in one sitting. They are apt to scratch (something, not a person!) more when their nails have just been done, to get rid of that excess flaking nail material and get them feeling "just right". I have no shortage of scratchable things around here, so that's fine.

I like to do it because my kitties knead, and walk over my head, and it can HURT!
                Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
                Starman

Comment

I can attest to the "getting stuck to the carpet" bit. My oldster did that a lot. It was funny the first time, but it got to be a problem. He couldn't retract the claws too well, so I had to keep them trimmed.

Now that your cats have short claws, take the time to just play with them and their paws, give lots of treats/rewards, and try to teach them that nothing awful happens when you touch their feet. When the claws start to get long again, as you are playing with the paws, just trim one to begin with - one claw, not one paw - then put aside the clippers and keep on playing as if nothing unusual happened. Progress to another claw the next day, and another, and eventually they will all get done with little stress. They won't shed out and become sharp again all at once, this way, and you can keep on just doing a few at a time while your cat is hanging out in your lap, while they're eating, while you're playing - whatever ends up being a comfortable scenario.

With my skittish cat, who I got as an unfortunate front-declawed from the shelter, I rarely trim the back paws, but when I need to, I wait until she's standing on something like a table or chair so that she's at hand level, and I distract (pet) her with one hand and nip off the worse tips with the other. I try not to actually touch her toes, and she rarely notices I'm doing anything. The back claws tend to stay blunter, and are fairly visible when she's standing, so we've gotten by quite well with this method.
                  Last edited by oldfuzzyhorses; Jun. 16, 2016, 11:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Big Fluff and Small Fry get done about every two weeks. Mr F holds them upside down like a baby, I clip. Big Fluff purrs quietly, Small Fry tolerates. Right before dinner is a good time.

I only take about 2-3mm off, just the sharp tip

Oh and I play with their paws all the time if they're sitting in my lap - love paws!

Comment

I have seen them grow so long that they curl over and pierce the pad. It's awful, you don't want to have that happen. It really, really is bad.

If your cats go outside they may wear their claws down naturally, but a lot of housecats don't and they need to be trimmed.

I clip mine every couple of weeks. I don't file them-- just snip off the tip and call it a day. You don't have to take off a lot, just the tip.

I use the flip over in my lap technique.

I've done lots of cats, not only my own. Including very uncooperative ones. If they are REALLY bad, you can taco them in a towel and just take out the paw you're working on. Lots of treats afterwards, None of them ENJOY it but I've never had one who didn't get used to it eventially.
                      ~Veronica
                      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

I am ALWAYS clipping my cats nails. He is not declawed, and he isn't ever a jerk about them, but when he kneeds on my leg if the nails are long it hurts. At that point I know it is time to break out the clippers. Some nails seem to grow much quicker than others so I just clip as needed. I probably clip a couple of his longer nails once every other week. The back ones are maybe every 2-3 weeks. When he is laying on me I sometimes rub his back paws and can tell if they look long or not.

I've always worked with my cats as babies so they are used to me playing with their paws and clipping isn't a big deal. If my current guy wants to wiggle around I'll lay him on his back on my lap. He pretty much just wants to head bump my hand and likes the belly rubs so he seems to oddly enjoy nail clipping time.

I just use mini nail clippers. I do not file for the cats after clipping because they are very thin nails. I do file the dogs because they are jagged and thick.

My cat does not go outside. He has a ton of scratching posts and such, but for a strictly indoor cat that is rarely enough to keep their nails from getting too long.

Comment

I clip my cat's claws any time I notice them looking (or feeling - ouch) particularly needle-y.

The best way is to burrito the kitty. Mine has gotten so used to it, that now I really only have to throw a blanket over top of him and he'll flop and be fine. Sometimes if he is being particularly uncooperative, I'll scruff him for a few seconds and he gets all mushy and lets me do whatever I want to him.

I can usually get his nails all clipped in a span of about 15 seconds if he doesn't have a major meltdown in the middle of it. His biggest meltdowns happen when I try to get his dew-claws. He is not a fan. But if he nips at me or has a fit, we just stop for a second, take a breather, and then go back to it.

I usually do his nails at bedtime, so he is up on the bed. It's easier to do it that way, I think, than to try to grab him while he's on the floor.

ETA - I just read cnighs post, and while I do agree that a cat's nails are more likely to shed than get overly LONG, they do get overly SHARP. That's my indicator to trim more than their length.
                          Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

I definitely trim them when they start to get sharp. Otherwise they start to snag on stuff (including my skin. OUCH!)

I started getting both of them used to the process, trying to make it a pleasant experience, etc. when they were kittens but they're intransigent so cat burritos it is.
                            Originally posted by BAC
                            I don't think FF's post was rude (not this one at least).

Comment

Originally posted by french fry View Post
                              I definitely trim them when they start to get sharp. Otherwise they start to snag on stuff (including my skin. OUCH!)

I started getting both of them used to the process, trying to make it a pleasant experience, etc. when they were kittens but they're intransigent so cat burritos it is.
                              Seriously, my hands look like I've been in a knife fight.
                              Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

I clip my cats claws about once a month, they have gotten used to it now so its not hard. I use regular nail cutters. If we let it go their nails get so sharp and long they do get stuck on stuff. One of my older cats nails got really thick and curvy with age, his did curl into the pad. We realized he had to be on a much shorter trim schedule.

Comment

I clip mine every few weeks, they love to sharpen them and then it hurts me when they get on my lap! My kitties are very compliant, I just hold them in my lap and clip. They are totally fine with the front paws, but they will sometimes struggle with the back ones. I don't clip the back ones as often as they don't get needle sharp and aren't used for kneading.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.
                                    Rack on!

Comment

Evil Alinore gets her claws trimmed about monthly. She howls like a fire siren, but after a few sessions with leather gloves, she has given up being difficult, since she didn't "win." I sit on a chair, folded towel over my legs for claw protection, she lays on the lap, held in place. I take a paw, press to make claws stick out and trim them with the heavy human toenail clippers. I hold the clipper sideways, so claw goes straight into the slot, gets cut straight across. You can see the pink and white division where vein ends, cut in the white part on white claws. I clip as close to pink as possible without hitting it. Be sure to do the dew claws too, which is most likely to do the "grow around back into pad" problem with no wear on it.

She is pretty good for the fronts, but a little wiggly for the hind feet when I pull them a little forward. No hind dew claws thank goodness. I cut them too, even though they never are as long as the front claws. I don't file claws at all either.

She has some of those fiber (coir) door mats to wipe your feet on that she LOVES to scratch on, which helps rub off any claw rough spots. There is one other rug she likes to scratch and roll on, a small piece of berber carpet in front of "her room" doorway. She never has done any clawing of the furniture or other things with these acceptable scratching places to use. She never used a scratching post, just ignored it, does like cardboard boxes though if given one to hide in. Shreds off the paper of boxes to wear them out.

But you know when she needs claws clipped because she spends lots more time scratching the welcome mats and you get your hand snagged on SHARP claws when she wants to play. Claws just get too long for feet, she is not sticking them out to play rough. So off they come.

The more often you do the clipping, the better they get. Do wear leather gloves for the first few times in case of biting or clawing, or have someone hold cat while you do the trimming if possible. Alinore is much better now with being done often. The treat after each paw is done sounds like a good idea too, reward for being pestered.

Alinore is EXCELLENT for baths, she got washed often as a kitten, actually likes being wet or washed. Just another thing that gets better with practice. Good thing because of our flea problem last summer, got washed weekly for about 6 weeks while we cleaned away the fleas. The old barn cat moved into the house, had to be bathed occasionally and didn't mind it after a few sessions. Never got nasty, just protested a lot. I told her "house animals have to be cleaned with soap and water, cat spit is not enough for real cleaning". She was also good to get her claws trimmed with a few sessions, after never having been trimmed previously.

Comment

Cat toenails are so much easier to trim than the dogs! Tiny little nail trimmers: http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcost...-nail-clippers white nails, so very little chance of quicking, and yep, if somebody gets fussy, cat burrito! I started clipping my (now departed) cat's toenails shortly after I got him - he fussed at first, but I was working at a vet clinic and learned the value of the kitty muzzle: https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Nylo.../dp/B002T1ICX0 After a few trimmings aided by Mr. Muzzle, he figured out that I wasn't going to kill him or cut off his toes and we could just (gently) grab a paw and start snipping.

My parent's grumpy old lady cat was a little bit more challenging, but only because I had to take her to a separate room - she (at first) needed the burrito method and made a lot of terrible noises, which upset my dad (probably more than the cat). It took a few months of burrito-ing her, but she also came around and got much easier to trim after we'd done it a few times.

Comment

Working...
                                        X