Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

**Update pg. 4 with pics!** What breed of dog is right for my family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember two boxers from 45 years ago. One belonged to the family of a new junior high school friend. Her brother was severely retarded, and they had a REALLY nice-good-with-everything-and-everyone Boxer. Von's Beethoven. Ludwig for short.

Another was a re-homed dog that lived with my aunt, uncle, and 4 female cousins. She was really good with the family but had a problem with trying to (passively) protect the girls when any were being disciplined. Lady was re-homed to my grandmother, and they lived together like a couple of little old women--a great match.

When I was little, my grandmother's neighbors had two Standard Poodles, and they were the NICEST dogs who made a great and lasting impression on me. I've always said that if Dobermans (my breed) had never been bred and developed, I would have Standard Poodles.

I have had two Dobermans who would have fit your bill. Dante', who loved people more than anything and was exceedingly tolerant, and Moose, who loved children more than anything, was the sweetest dog I've ever owned, would NEVER bother any creature I brought into the house (the cats loved him), and would have left me without looking back if a child took him by the leash. Both of these dogs came from the animal shelter.

I think fostered dogs from rescues can be good matches. They have been "vetted" by their foster parents. HOWEVER, many of the rescues will NOT adopt to a family with children under the age of whatever-their-requirement-is. The same could be true of a retired show dog. But there ARE exceptions, and it doesn't hurt to ask and be sure to let them know that you and your husband have experience with dogs.

And good dogs come from everywhere. I currently have a beautiful red Doberman female. She is good with dogs, cats, and horses, and loves people. (She went to a day-long "festival" last year for the first time, and even when towards the end of a LONG day, NEVER got tired of meeting and greeting people and children.) Spicy, however, is a VERY ACTIVE canine. And she came free off of craigslist.

Good luck. I don't think I could live without a dog in my home.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

My kids are grown, but two years ago I was looking for a dog and had small grandchildren, so had to decide between finding a puppy or a grown dog. I went with an Aussie puppy because I felt I would have more say in how she turned out, and how she'd be with people and other dogs. I found her from a breeder who said she was "pet quality". Worked for me, without the show quality price tag. She is gorgeous, btw, but what do I know?

She is a wonderful dog, and has always been great with my grandsons, who were two and five when I got her. She was three months old, and was housebroken in two days. I've had dogs my whole life and have never had one that was trained that quickly.

She is high energy, but she knows how to chill, too. Teaching her to come when called was her biggest challenge, but at about a year old she finally got it, and now will race like the wind when recalled.

I've taken care to socialize her with other dogs, and with people, and she only dislikes my farrier. Oh well. I've decided he must smell really bad or something. Everyone else is her best friend ever.

I like a soft coat on my dogs. I've always had English Springer Spaniels before this Aussie, and they're great family dogs, too. Wonderful with children. Smart and fun.

Comment

I had two large rescue dogs before my kids were born (now 4 and 14 months.) The first was a retired racing greyhound who, like many OTTBs, was a disinterested runner and retired young (18 months.) She had never seen children before being adopted, but after lots of positive experiences, grew to love kids. Once my son was born, she was already senior and didn't love him, but was exceedingly tolerant (however, we are very vigilant about dog-kid interactions). She was the best overall dog I have ever had. Housebroken, leash trained, low energy, and extremely trainable from day 1 off the track. We will definitely adopt another grey in the future. Sadly, we lost her to osteosarcoma a week after my second baby was born.

My Dobie, another rescue, is actually the more tolerant of my dogs with my son and now both my kiddos. We adopted him as a young dog (probably around 2 years old). Not only is he very strong, he was very difficult when we first got him though, due to his lack of socialization and training. The only training he had when we brought him home was housebreaking. He did not reach his full adult size until around 3 (his age was unknown, as he was dumped), and he is extremely large, around 90 pounds with not an ounce of fat. Had we not had him for several years before my first baby was born, adopting him would have been a huge mistake for us and for him.

So...like several others have said, I would be hesitant to bring an unknown adult dog into your home with a baby. A greyhound might be a good fit (and are usually available through rescues that know the dog's own background and personality well), but many, including the 3 that I have volunteered for, do not adopt to homes with small children. My beloved Dobe is an angel with the kids, but it took a lot to get him where he is, and frankly so high energy that he would have been very difficult to raise with a baby or toddler.

Although housebreaking is no fun, I have to second the recommendations to look for a puppy or a young adult dog from a breeder if you really want a dog and a baby. The breed is less of an issue than the actual dog and its background.

Comment

Originally posted by baxtersmom View Post
          If you have a fenced in yard and can live without letting your dog offleash, you might look into a greyhound. Most rescues will have tested them for cats/small animals; some can and some can't share a home with one. My cousin has had a half dozen over the years, and every one has been kind, quiet (one woof if someone knocks), good with other dogs, and extremely tolerant of kids. They really are the "45 mph couch potato."

They do have a few fussy food and vet needs (they are sensitive) but hers have also all lived to a good age for a large breed (12ish).
          A second for retired racers. I raised and showed scent hounds extensively, never thought I would ever have anything other than coonhounds or beagles. Until. . . . I met my first off the track greyhound. We have had four so far. They are quiet, clean, FUNNY (every day they make me laugh out loud), low energy - your walk a lunch would suit them just right. Some are cat zappers, many are not. Right now my husband is asleep on the bed with one of our currents and two cats. That greyhound is the track record holder at Derby Lane in St. Petersburg, Florida btw, so race records have little to do with prey drive.

There is a lot of really good information out there about integrating the breed into your home (and a few whackos - just like anywhere else).

If you are looking for a breed that sits at your feet and says what can I do to please you now mom, greyhounds are not the breed from you. I find them to be more cat-like. Very affectionate, but equally content to take up space on the couch.

Some are a bit picky about food, and you would need to make sure your vet is up to speed on some of the greyhound quirks (for instance did you know that greyhounds are frequently used as donor dogs as they naturally have a higher red cell count?) and some are ultra sensitive to anesthetic (malignant hypothermia).

Most come a little older (you do NOT want a puppy!!) are crate trained and relatively easy to house break. Some play, some don't. Our current girl loves to collect things - shoes, socks, toys, underwear. She carefully places the items near the front door and lays down in the middle of her collection. Does not offer to chew or destroy. Just collects.

They are not a breed I would trust off lead unless they were in a fenced yard.

Love my greys and can't imagine life without one.
          www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

We actually have some very good friends who own 2 retired greyhounds and usually have a 3rd foster in their home. We adore them, and definitely would love to have one someday. However, I know that it took them a very long time to get their greyhounds to where they are now in terms of not being afraid of the outside world! I'd be worried that having a small child around would make a greyhound too nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
              If you have sufficient land and something to guard, I am going to suggest a LGD. We have a Maremma, and I think that is about the best decision we have made in regard to dogs for our lives. Our Maremma is sort of, lazy... He perches himself on top of a little mount every day, and surveys his land and the horses around. On the other hand, he is more than happy to oblige if you want to play wrestle with him. He protects our spoiled cat, even though she swipes and hisses at him. The other day I saw the spoiled cat wrapping around his feet - I guess she finally decided that this white dog was OK after all lol. He protects our guineas - they can be pecking at his nose and he would just close his eyes and rolls over to the other side. Sometimes we have a neighbor's yippy dog coming over for a visit - no problem. He even protects him. Overall he is just very tolerant and protective of the family. One time I pulled his tail just to see how he will react. Well, he yiped, and cried and ran away.

He does not come into the house though - refuses it. Took us awhile to convince him to come into the garage for food, and you will see him sitting in rain instead of going into the barn ten feet away.
              Sorry but a Maremma is the last breed of dog anyone should get unless they have a farm and need a guard dog. Your dog may of course be different then the others I've known so please do not be insulted but these dogs are not for the average suburban dog owning family. The ones I know are VERY protective and one attacked my friends father while he dog sat for her resulting in 100 stiches in one arm and a week in the ICU. The other one I knew cornered me in a tack room of a barn for a half hour, didn't attack just blocked the door and gave me the I dare you look if I tried to leave the room.
              Stick with a Golden or beagle both great family dogs or a good ol mutt.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                I hate to tell you this, but you should really wait until your child is older.
                I agree, many shelters and competent rescue agencies will not adopt to homes with children under four.
                "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

Originally posted by Frivian View Post
                  We actually have some very good friends who own 2 retired greyhounds and usually have a 3rd foster in their home. We adore them, and definitely would love to have one someday. However, I know that it took them a very long time to get their greyhounds to where they are now in terms of not being afraid of the outside world! I'd be worried that having a small child around would make a greyhound too nervous.
                  That hasn't been our experience with any of the four we have had. Different dogs, different homes.
                  www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

I would wait... most rescues do not place dogs with families with children under 8 or older.
                    We had a lab (here first), then two children. Well, the lab did bite my DD when she was 2 yo, left in the care of my parents who did not see it coming! You have to be vigilant all the time.

My DS has two young children and two yorkies. They are actually the best size for the kids and have been great. I like bigger dogs, but these two have been great.

Comment

I may be biased but I grew up with standard poodles who were awesome family dogs. We got the first when I was around 4 years. My dad and mom had labs but were over the amount of shedding, so he bought a breed encyclopedia and went from there.
                      24 years later and we've only been without a poodle (or poodle mix) for 12 hours (the first one died when I was 16 and I was more distraught than my parents had seen, so they kind of panicked and found the only poodle breeder within 500 miles with an available puppy! Not the most research oriented decision but hey )

My standard poodles have been wonderfully tolerant from the start. The first one especially, I had the time of my life dressing Max up in shorts, skirts, hats, sunglasses... I could take him on walks and he didn't pull or jump, very gentle. My lack of experience training animals and my age didn't prevent Max from learning tons of tricks and happily performing them for me. He was enough of a guardian type that we felt safe with him, but he was friendly and comfortable with strangers once we invited them in.

We took him to the groomers only when it was unanimously decided that my dad had no natural talent for grooming and wasn't about to gain any Max and the subsequent dogs have only gotten the basic puppy cut (face, toes, base of tail short, rest one length) or whole body one length with a small poof on ears, head, and tail. They need not be froofy dogs, only if you want them to be!

But anyway, all that to say I am a huge fan of standard poodles, as they were fantastic family dogs for us, biddable and patient, and it didn't seem like we were fighting against any strong instincts (except when they saw squirrels in the yard of course!)

Comment

Thank you, Saddleup, for mentioning my breed... My beautiful Springer girl is curled up next to me right now. I always wonder why folks are so quick to jump on the Golden/Lab bandwagon, when Springers are such fabulous family dogs and not as big. Especially because OP's hubby had a Brit I would think OP might be interested!

That said - OP, I concur with everyone who said if you want an adult, go with one that has been fostered. You would *probably* get a wonderful pet from a shelter, but with a fostered purebred you will have a much better idea of what you are getting. With babies in the house a "sure thing" is a better bet.

English Springer Rescue (ESSRA - www.springerrescue.org) is a terrific group, and of course there are tons of other breed-specific rescues that foster and carefully evaluate dogs. Like others have mentioned, I think Standard Poodles are awesome dogs as are Greyhounds. Heaven knows there are plenty of the latter needing homes.

Good luck, OP, and I hope you find a new furry family member soon!
                        "Horses lend us the wings we lack." ~ Pam Brown

Comment

Originally posted by RiderWriter View Post
                          Thank you, Saddleup, for mentioning my breed... My beautiful Springer girl is curled up next to me right now. I always wonder why folks are so quick to jump on the Golden/Lab bandwagon, when Springers are such fabulous family dogs and not as big. Especially because OP's hubby had a Brit I would think OP might be interested!
                          I think because the OP said she didn't want a high energy dog. I don't know many Springers personally but the ones I have known have had similar exercise needs as my Brittanys.

Not sure that Goldens "prefer" less exercise but it seems (anecdotally, at least) that they are not as likely to be called "crazy" or "hyper" as Brittanys (and possibly Springers?)

Comment

I think with Springers it depends on if you go for show or field breeding. Some of the field dogs I have seen I would shudder to consider as a house dog, whereas most of the show bred Springers are much saner with limited work/exercise. I personally have Clumber and Sussex Spaniels - both are wonderful breeds for the right home. Clumbers are larger and if you can live with the drool and shedding might be a good option. We have cats, go to dog parks, interact with kids, and do dog sports. They also have a good off switch in the house. My only worry would be Clumbers are very food oriented - I know mine would snatch food out of my visiting niece's hand all the time - I was terrified she would get nipped accidently. Children walk around with food and snacks, often eat at low tables, and generally just leave stuff around. Dogs quickly train themselves to see little people as mobile treat dispensers

My concern with any dog would be how you would feel if an accident happened and the dog bit your child? Accidents happen, dogs get startled by children who aren't mentally able to control behavior. We had a great dog when I was a child - an Old English Sheepdog named Sissy. Well shortly after we adopted Sissy (she was three and rehomed due to divorce) my sister and I were both playing with her - we were probably five or six - and we did something to startle her and Sissy bit my sister in the face (fifteen stitches). My parents didn't freak out - it was an accident and they understood. She ended up being the best dog and babysitter for us living to be thirteen with never another foot put wrong. But if my parents had been less understanding she would have been sent to the shelter or put right down. You have to examine how you would react. If you would knee jerk get rid of the dog, well then you need to wait until your kids are older to get a job in fairness to the dog. Also what will you do if your child/children end up allergic? It's not all about you and what you want - you have a responsibility to the dog too.

Also you really need to consider the exercise needs of the dog. Are you really willing to walk the dog every day - in all weather - with an infant? Or will it be more of a fair weather endeavor. I would also never consider taking young children to a dog park so unless you foresee yourself having regular babysitters that may not even be a possibility to put in the mix.

Just throwing a few thoughts out there...

Comment

While they can be stubborn sometimes, I will still recommend a hound or hound mix. They are kind souls, very durable with kids, and seem happy to go for a jog with you or laze about on the sofa as required. A fenced yard is a very, very good idea unless you have a large property.

We have a Plott hound. She is excellent with our son, sleeps with her kitties, and is very easy to have around. It does seem that the hound breeds that are bred to work closely with people or in tightly controlled small groups are easier to have in a house (less stubborn)...So your Plotts, bloodhounds, foxhounds might be the best bet. From personal experience, I can't say coonhounds are easy to have around.
                              "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Comment

Standard poodles are great. I grew up with them and we had one when my kids were little.

They are great family dogs but the can be very protective of your family which is both good and bad. They are very, very smart.

I think some of the poodle crosses are very nice -- cockapoo, labradoodle, etc.

It is wonderful to have a dog that doesn't shed.

We've also had shelter dogs but waited until our kids were older. For small kids, I'd rather get a dog from a breeder who has a reputation for breeding for temperament.
                                Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

No one has mentioned collies yet. I've had two and they are my heart breed. I have a great mixed breed now, but plan to get another collie again someday. They are fantastic with children, have a natural affinity icon them in fact. They will try to 'herd' them to keep them in the flock! Even though they are on the large side, collies generally are not high energy. Both of mine were pretty calm. They loved to run and play, but within reason. They also loved being couch potatoes. They were also good with other dogs. We didn't have cats, but they don't have a high prey drive , so I think a collie would adjust well to a resident cat.

Because of their gorgeous long coat, they do require frequent grooming, but I have found if you keep on top of it, it isn't that hard. Also, they shed less than my border collie/pointer mix who has a shorter courser coat.

There are also smooth coated collies, who have the same great collie temperament without the long fur. To find an older collie, you could check local collie rescue organizations, or even breeders who may have an older collie available. If you decide on a puppy, collies are very easy to train! They are people pleasers.

Like any purebred, collies have some health issues associated with them, such as Collie Eye Anomaly, and a sensitivity to certain drugs, but these can be tested for.

All in all, I believe collies are a fantastic family dog!!!!! Good luck in your search!

Comment

Collies and Collie mixes are at the top of my list, right next to bulldog mixes. Goldens have so many skin issues and can be very hyperactive. I am wary of any purebred because of expensive health issues.

I would look for an owner that has to give one up to get the older dog you want. It is also worth contacting an experienced trainer to help you evaluate your potential pet. Go to the Association of Pet Dog Trainers website and use the Trainer Search feature.

Since you have a baby and will have more children, become educated on positive reinforcement, non violent training methods to ensure your kid(s) can safely control and interact with your dog. Check out http://www.dogstardaily.com

Lots of good info on picking a dog and training it appropriately.

I have had bad experiences working with rescues while having a child under 5. I was denied to adopt from 3 separate rescues even though I am an experienced professional trainer and foster. I finally just bought my pugglepoo from the amish. Not the best move, but I was tired of being denied a puppy.

For the record: We adopted every one of our other dogs, our lizard, and two ducks. Our pony came from a rescue as well.

Comment

Can't believe it took three pages for collies to be mentioned! Best kids dogs ever. grew up with collies, my brother learned to walk holding onto Taffy ;-) Friendly, love everybody, will nip heels of running kids but just to herd them not to bite. You can keep adding kids and they will love the next one just as much as the first one. Unless the collie had abuse or trust issues, there's not many I wouldn't trust.
                                      Kerri

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

My mom always had collies growing up, and has told me multiple times that they were always great dogs. I didn't even really think about them as an option! They are beautiful, too.

Seems like a lot of people are saying standard poodle, too. I have not personally known any standard poodles, but a friend of mine has a labradoodle that is 75% poodle, and I do know that he is a great dog who wouldn't hurt a fly. However, he is very high-energy and excitable -but that may be the lab in him.

Thanks for all the tips and advice about dog owning/parenting. I realize that no dog is 100% bombproof. I don't plan on allowing my daughter to take advantage of the dog's gentle nature, and I will teach her the appropriate way to interact with the dog. But like I said, no one is perfect and I'm sure there will come a time when she makes a mistake. I want the dog to have great bite inhibition, etc. but I also realize accidents happen. Obviously I will not blame the dog for reacting appropriately to something that is the child's fault. I do have a pretty good understanding of dog body language, and have spent a lot of time around all different kinds of dogs.

My little brother was bitten by our golden retriever when he was only about 3 or 4. When the dog was young, she had very bad food possession issues. We all knew this and were taught to stay far away from her while she was eating. She even had her own room to eat in (the mud room in our house). However, my somehow my little brother got in there and wanted to give her a hug. My mom wasn't watching closely and even though I'm sure she gave plenty of warning (she would growl if she'd had enough), he was too young to know... so she bit him. Nothing bad that he needed stitches for, but it did break the skin. But my parents did not blame her and we kept her for the rest of her life. That is the type of attitude I will have toward our dog.

Anyway, so thanks again for all the tips. I honestly had not thought I would want a puppy at all, but now I'm re-thinking that idea! I will start looking into breeders in the area for many of the breeds mentioned here.

Comment

Another vote for Newf! Hands down the best dog with kids. Hair can be a problem - when crawling and teething my kids tended to have beards, but their temperament more than made up for it. Our newfs did not drool excessively (they had "tighter" mouths) - only when excited, hot, when you had a treat for them, or after drinking water. We had a female who lived about 10 yrs, and a male that we lost not long ago at the age of 13. We had the first Newf as puppy a year before my oldest was born and got the second puppy when my youngest was about 3 or 4. The kids would pull up on and learned how to walk holding on to the dog.

Oh, and the cat ruled the house.

Comment

Working...
                                          X