Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

**Update pg. 4 with pics!** What breed of dog is right for my family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**Update pg. 4 with pics!** What breed of dog is right for my family?

Hi all,

For several years my husband and I have pined after a dog. We both grew up with dogs, and love them, but so far have just never felt as if we were "ready" for one. Before it was that we were never home enough, then we lived in a place that didn't allow dogs, then we had a baby, etc. We finally feel like we're getting close to that time when we can handle a dog. I plan on getting one from a rescue/shelter/foster program rather than buy a puppy... so it may end up being a mutt! But just in case, I'd like to know if anyone has specific breed recommendations for us. We have very specific requirements for the dog that we will bring home, and it may be a while before we find the "right" one.

Here's the situation:
    1. We have a baby. She is currently 5 months old, and is starting to become mobile. Now, our house is big enough to where I can separate the dog and baby if need be, but we NEED a dog that will be tolerant of small children. Not just tolerant, but actually like them. Because I'd rather not have to keep them separated for the dog's entire life. We also plan on having more kids in the (probably somewhat near) future. We were both raised in families with dogs and babies, so I KNOW it can be done. Of course I will do everything to be a responsible parent/dog owner and not leave child unattended, etc. but realistically, kids make mistakes and so do parents. So I'd like to know that this dog is not going to bite my child if she accidentally steps on him, etc.

2. We have a cat, and it was her house first. So the dog will not get priority in the household. Any dog that will chase cats is not right for us. I want our cat to feel comfortable in her own home.

3. We are pretty active, but I do NOT want to deal with a high-energy, hard-to-train dog. I work from home, so my lunch break every day will be devoted to taking dog for a nice long walk. We also have a small fenced in yard and live less than 15 minutes from a dog park. But still, low-energy is good. I don't want to have to take dog for a 3 mile run every day to get it calmed down.

4. We would also prefer a medium to larger sized breed. Nothing against small dogs, but we just don't prefer them (I had a golden growing up, DH had Brittanys).

5. I would prefer the dog to also be able to get along with other dogs because some of our close friends and family have dogs. It doesn't have to be a "dog park dog" though.

We plan on getting a dog that is already mature (i.e. at least 3 or 4 years old) and already housebroken. I plan to look at fostered dogs first, because that way we can be sure of it's reputation among cats/kids. Like I said, I will be home all day every day, so a dog that requires frequent attention isn't as much of a problem for us as it would be for some. Also, the baby is not home during the day, so the dog would have that period as "quiet time".

We are in the NoVA area - any breed or general rescue recommendations are appreciated as well!
    Last edited by Frivian; Feb. 11, 2014, 04:40 PM.

I would go back to Golden Retriever or Lab, or some other larger sporting breed. I would go to some local dog shows and meet up with the breeders and see if they have any retired show dogs that need re-homing. This is a great way to find a mature dog that has been there done that.

You still have to take your time introducing any new dog to a new cat and a new baby. Please don't isolate your new dog away from your baby. Teach the dog to accept the baby as a family member. If you have questions on this please bring a reputable trainer into your home to teach you how. Children and dogs go together beautifully.

Since you work at home I think that you could very well handle a puppy instead of a mature dog. This way there is no question with the cat and the baby. Puppy will normally back off a mature cat (except for one of my idiot setters) and will be introduced to the baby as family from the start. Again go to local shows and talk to the breeders about the animals they show and go the the AKC site and read about different breeds and temperments.

Have fun getting your new dog! I wouldn't bring a mutt from the pound into a home with a new baby. But that's just me. I don't trust unknown animals around small children or babies. I don't allow one of my setters around small children as they tend to make her antsy. Better safe than sorry!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Comment

I hate to tell you this, but you should really wait until your child is older.
      Off Topic Discussion about Life, Interests & Politics
      http://theotherboard.boards.net/

Comment

I wouldn't introduce a new dog into a household that has a new baby. Most rescues and good breeders won't place one in such a household, either. You'll have your hands too full with raising the baby to properly train the dog- and yes, any dog put into a new situation will require quite a bit of time put into it at first, even if it's an older, calm, supposedly already trained dog. And dogs that are in households with young babies/toddlers are, statistically speaking, more likely than other dogs to end up being discarded.

when the kid gets older, look for a gentle kid-friendly adult lab or lab mix.

Comment

Original Poster

Sorry, but like I said we're going to have more kids. If we wait until this kid is older, there will just be another baby. If we waited to get a dog until all kids were "older", we'd be waiting 6, 7 years, really who knows. We like big families.

Lots of people have dogs and kids. Lots.

Comment

I would not get a lab. I work with them daily and they are very high energy and prone to obesity if not exercised regularly. They also shed a lot. I would look for a short haired breed that doesn't require much grooming since you seem like you are going to be very busy. When I was growing up we had an American Eskimo. They are medium sized. They do shed though. She just died a few years ago at the age of 14. As a kid I loved taking her on walks and she would run with me but she would also relax. She wasn't demanding in terms of exercise. We took her to the groomer every few months. Most recently my mom adopted a mastiff mix. He is really gentle with kids and small dogs, doesn't require much grooming, and loves to play but also can relax. I'm a groomer and my favorite dogs of all time I do not think would work well for your lifestyle- poodles (very smart and high energy), bedlington terrier, and schnauzers.
            https://www.gofundme.com/SOMDCAROUSE...tion_receiptv5

Comment

I'd either adopt from a reputable rescue that really screens their dogs (i.e. several months not weeks) or buy a pup from a breeder that has suitable dogs & really socializes the pups - in either situation, be prepared for the rescue/breeder to indicate which dog/pup will be suitable.

Comment

Original Poster

Hi Jhein -

I agree about the Labs. I love them but every one I've ever met has been super high-energy. Don't mind the shedding as much as we're gonna be getting a cleaning service to help with that sort of thing.

I loved my golden growing up, but I'm wary of the health issues they all seem to have. To get a good golden from a reputable breeder costs upwards of $2k in this area, and I could get a new horse for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Frivian View Post
                  Hi Jhein -

I agree about the Labs. I love them but every one I've ever met has been super high-energy. Don't mind the shedding as much as we're gonna be getting a cleaning service to help with that sort of thing.

I loved my golden growing up, but I'm wary of the health issues they all seem to have. To get a good golden from a reputable breeder costs upwards of $2k in this area, and I could get a new horse for that!
                  You are right about the golden retriever. A nicely bred one won't be cheap. Have you looked into Irish Setters? They have a similar look to goldens to me and are really great dogs. American Eskimos come in three sizes. We had the miniature but there is a standard. She was definitely a hearty dog. Survived two pitbull attacks and was still friendly and loving to us kids! When we bought her my parents paid the breeder $400.
                  https://www.gofundme.com/SOMDCAROUSE...tion_receiptv5

Comment

If you have sufficient land and something to guard, I am going to suggest a LGD. We have a Maremma, and I think that is about the best decision we have made in regard to dogs for our lives. Our Maremma is sort of, lazy... He perches himself on top of a little mount every day, and surveys his land and the horses around. On the other hand, he is more than happy to oblige if you want to play wrestle with him. He protects our spoiled cat, even though she swipes and hisses at him. The other day I saw the spoiled cat wrapping around his feet - I guess she finally decided that this white dog was OK after all lol. He protects our guineas - they can be pecking at his nose and he would just close his eyes and rolls over to the other side. Sometimes we have a neighbor's yippy dog coming over for a visit - no problem. He even protects him. Overall he is just very tolerant and protective of the family. One time I pulled his tail just to see how he will react. Well, he yiped, and cried and ran away.

He does not come into the house though - refuses it. Took us awhile to convince him to come into the garage for food, and you will see him sitting in rain instead of going into the barn ten feet away.

Comment

We have goldens and they have been absolutely wonderful with the kids.
                      Our puppies were quite expensive; but lots of areas have golden rescues. Also sometimes breeders are aware of older dogs who may need a family.

Ours live on a farm and are good with the cat and horses too. They have been very trainable and love to hang out w/ the kids.

Lots of families have dogs and kids at the same time - even babies. The dogs don't get abandoned if the parents think the dogs are members of the household and not disposable. It's good for kids to learn that other critters exist and need care, love, attention and respect, and kids are not the center of the universe.
                      I also like bigger dogs because they don't seem as fragile as the little ones w/r/t to rough housing, biking and other kid activities. One of our goldens loves to play monkey in the middle...

Comment

I love the large breeds - Newfies, Bernese Mtn Dogs, Pyrs. Every one I have ever know/lived with has been perfect around kids, cats, other dogs. I have had both Newfies and Pyrs, and they are, for the most part, big breathing carpets. Downsides - they shed and drool, and they have a shorter lifespan than their smaller counterparts. I had the opportunity to have a show bred Newfie bitch a couple of years ago who ended up maturing under breed standard, and boy do I wish I would have taken it! At the time, it just wasn't good timing - we had a very sick cat who had a hard time with any change, so I passed on her. Check with breeders - they may have a show bred dog that isn't going to make the show ring.
                        My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
                        ReRiders Clique

Comment

I know I will get flamed, but when we wanted a dog and our daughter was little we got a puppy. That way we knew he would he would know from day 1 that she had priority over him. We picked out a weimaraner and he was the easiest dog ever to house break (as in by 8 weeks he was house broke, we got him at 6 weeks). We know there is a really good weim rescue near us but we just didn't want to risk an adult dog around our young child.

I would not just look at Labs and Goldens. We have had a lot of mutts over the years who have been wonderful children's dogs.

Good luck!

Comment

Another vote for a Newf.

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Keep the suggestions coming...

Brooke, it sounds like you are experienced with setters - I was always under the impression that they were a bit more skittish and high strung than retrievers. Does that tend to be true?

Everyone that suggested puppies...I can definitely see the benefit of this, but worry about the housebreaking issue. Another big worry of mine is the chewing/destroying stage that puppies seem to go through.... we probably have lots of toys laying around that will be targets! I can handle an older dog who might need a refresher in training, but I've never personally housebroken nor trained a dog as a puppy. I guess I could definitely bring in a trainer to help me though. I was only 6 when we got my dog, so I didn't really contribute to her early obedience training (although I did try!).

Gloria, the Maremma looks like a beautiful dog, but I worry somewhat about getting a "working" dog that won't have a real job. I'd be afraid it'd get bored with simply being a companion dog.

I love the way Newfies/Bernese/Swiss mountain dogs look. They are so adorable and really appeal to me. I don't know much about those breeds though! I will look into it, thanks for that suggestion.

The Eskimo dog looks very cute too, but I think my husband might not be as interested by it. For some reason he is turned off by spitz-looking breeds (quite unfairly, I might add, but that's his thing). I think he may have had a bad experience with one when he was younger. Not an eskimo dog, but maybe something similar looking.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Another question - what about some types of hounds? Would they have too high of a prey drive for cat-friendly house?

Comment

Original Poster

duplicate post!

Comment

Originally posted by Frivian View Post
                                  Another question - what about some types of hounds? Would they have too high of a prey drive for cat-friendly house?
                                  Most hounds have stubborn independent as their middle names, so depending how good you are at managing that, hounds can be great family dogs.

If you're worried about house training & "leave it" training, I'd suggest a "soft" dog, doesn't matter the breed but I'd avoid breeds that were developed as independent thinkers (any of the guardian breeds (such as the Maremma, while there may be individuals that are soft, most do best with knowledgeable dog people), working dogs etc).
                                  You can sometimes get older dogs from breeders but few are going to be socialized in the manner that you need.

Comment

Original Poster

Ah, makes sense. Thanks alto. We are approaching this with the attitude that we know nothing so as not to assume we know more than we do. Does that make sense? It's not that we actually know nothing about dogs, but we just don't want to get in over our heads. And of course we always open to hiring a trainer to help us if need be. But yes, a stubborn/independent breed does not sound right for us at this stage.

Comment

When my sister was looking into adding a family dog and her four children were very young at the time, she asked her vet for suggestions. He said he believed the all around best family type dog was the Standard Poodle.

I only have experience w/ the smaller toy and mini sizes but everyone who has a standard size LOVES them.
                                      "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

The great thing about checking with breeders to see if they have any "not quite show ring" dogs is that they are typically socialized and housebroken. The one that I was offered was 9 months old, fully housebroken, and had basic obedience. Also, I can't stress this enough - no matter what you get, it needs to be crate-trained. You will be setting your house up for success making sure that your new dog has a safe place to go.
                                        My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
                                        ReRiders Clique

Comment

Working...
                                        X