• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The No Kill Movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The No Kill Movement

I have some concerns with the No Kill Movement. Although it's a laudable effort, I'm beginning to be a bit concerned about how they get to their no kill numbers.

For instance, a friend of mine just posted a request for transport from Louisville to Chicago because the no kill shelter is full and she's been told there's a shortage of adoptable dogs in Chicago.

I'm fully aware that there is an unwanted pet problem in Chicago as well. What's going on?

http://www.chicagonow.com/raining-ca...uppy-shortage/

My only comment is based on the picture of the KC Pet Project at the bottom. They have done something I (and many others) thought was impossible. That group took over the city, open admission shelter. It serves an urban area and a number of the dogs are pit bulls or pit bull mixes. The shelter is located in a dilapidated old building in a bad area. They have drastically increased adoption rates through a satellite adoption location and adopter friendly policies and procedures. If anyone in the area is looking for a dog, cat, or another type of animal, I would encourage them to check this shelter out.

Comment

read again- shortage of PUPPIES, not pets. Most dogs who end up in shelters are age 6 months to 3 years, and no one wants them. They want PUPPIES, aka 8 week to 12 week old critters, many of whom will get dumped in turn when they stop being puppies.
      Same with our area- shelters are full of dumped adolescents, no one wants them, and they end up importing puppies from the south.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, but the rescue is not moving puppies, they are moving dogs.

Comment

I can say, when the no-kill shelters started up, I was helping in our local animal control shelter.
          We watched as those with the no-kill labels were getting all kinds of donations and grants right and left from all kinds of places, foundations and such and practically running a dog warehouse with that money.

One lady doing so, with 60 dogs, said "try it, it paid better than farming".
          She had a table by us in our Muttfest days and adopted a few dogs a year only, they were her meal ticket thru running the non-profit paid for by donations and foundation grants and she liked them, why keep adopting them out and replacing them with unknown ones.

We were looking at those no-kill shelters and, admitting at least their dogs were not dead, well, some of those warehoused for many years, as they were too aggressive or otherwise unadoptable, to us, they were using the place of a dog that was being euthanized that could have had a chance to be adopted if we had their kind of money to keep them around more than a few days, money they took away from us with their no-kill label.
          Not only that, we were their dumping ground to send people to because they were always full.
          One had adoption hours of 2 to 4 pm on Tuesdays.
          No wonder they didn't adopt many dogs.

I am sure there are plenty of no-kill shelters out there that really do a great job, but they still are sending their overflow to the ones that then have to euthanize them, so they really are not that much of a "no-kill" shelter as they want to appear.

What we need to realize is that the world is not perfect and is not going to be perfect.
          There are always going to be abusers, abused, poor and those in dire circumstances, for all kinds of reasons, humans and other animals.

We need to work to make those the least we can make them and, understanding there will always be some of that, work at programs to help with that.

Eliminating this or that to avoid that nothing is perfect, like animal rights extremist do wanting to eliminate uses of animals, or as some of them say and sadly mean it, absurd as it seems, eliminate humans and then we would not have those problems.
          Well, where does that make any sense?

No-kill labels are really not much more than a marketing ploy for donations and a feel good way to help some dogs, while ignoring the reality that not all dogs can or will or should be adopted to the general public and that warehousing dogs may not be the best use of those resources.

That money is better spent in programs like the Turken shelter program, that gives suitable dogs time to be evaluated, have some training and so a better chance of being adopted and more important, make the carefully thought out adoption work for all, the family and dog.

Others evidently disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
            I am sure there are plenty of no-kill shelters out there that really do a great job, but they still are sending their overflow to the ones that then have to euthanize them
            In many cases, but KC Pet Project is still open admission. There open admission no kill shelters. Obviously if a dog is too aggressive to be placed, euthanasia is the right choice.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Casey09 View Post
              In many cases, but KC Pet Project is still open admission. There open admission no kill shelters. Obviously if a dog is too aggressive to be placed, euthanasia is the right choice.
              I'm going to have to agree with Bluey. I'm finding many of those that are still open admission require an appointment to surrender a dog and a fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey09 View Post
                Yes, but is that then a true "no-kill" to be advertised as such, to compete for donations and grants with the rest of us?

Comment

I love the idea of No Kill. However, until there is wholesale spaying and neutering, I think it is impossible. The non-public shelters don't have to take every animal surrendered; they can take what has a reasonable chance of being adopted. In the middle of kitten season, public shelters are overwhelmed with new born and bottle baby kittens, and they have to be put down, as there aren't the resources to care for them. That applies to puppies as well, although not quite the seasonal volume. They also have to take special needs, and dogs with poor temperaments.
                  Mystic Owl Sporthorses
                  www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

I volunteer foster for three incredible rescues. They pull adoptable dogs from kill shelters if they feel they can place the dogs. I just got five Chihuahuas from a horrid breeder and all but one were adopted in a week. I think what they do is miraculous. There is no way we can ever be totally no-kill unless every dog or cat was neutered at birth. I carry a bag of dry dog food in my truck and constantly stop and feed feral dogs. THAT is the problem, folks. Span and neuter your pets, rescue from shelters and support the ones that do great things. Euthanasia is not the worst thing that can happen to a dog, believe me. I support it if done with love, and by injection. Gassing is another thing, reminiscent of Auschwitz. So very wrong.
                    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
                    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
                    The Barkalicious Bakery
                    On Facebook!!!

Comment

What I find annoying is that some rescues snatch the most adoptable dogs from the shelters. Some (not all) then have a list of requirements for potential adopters that rivals a background screen for employment with the CIA. Still more charge ridiculous "adoption fees".

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Mara View Post
                        What I find annoying is that some rescues snatch the most adoptable dogs from the shelters. Some (not all) then have a list of requirements for potential adopters that rivals a background screen for employment with the CIA. Still more charge ridiculous "adoption fees".
                        You mean the breed rescues? Yes we do. We snatch them, we vet them and we do a background screen and and follow-ups. You know why, because 6 months after an adoption (without follow-up and screening), one out of every 10 animals has either been returned or is gone (rehomed, lost, dumped).

High fees? When it includes spay/neuter, all vaccinations and microchip, it's probably less expensive than a do it yourself adoption.

***We take the seniors, the sick and the injured too. The adoption fees for the young and healthy help support the vet fees for the old, sick and injured.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                          You mean the breed rescues? Yes we do. We snatch them, we vet them and we do a background screen and and follow-ups. You know why, because 6 months after an adoption (without follow-up and screening), one out of every 10 animals has either been returned or is gone (rehomed, lost, dumped).

High fees? When it includes spay/neuter, all vaccinations and microchip, it's probably less expensive than a do it yourself adoption.
                          Not always the breed rescues - there are a couple around here who keep eyes out for any puppies/young dogs with good temperaments. If it would make a good family dog - these rescues go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                            read again- shortage of PUPPIES, not pets. Most dogs who end up in shelters are age 6 months to 3 years, and no one wants them. They want PUPPIES, aka 8 week to 12 week old critters, many of whom will get dumped in turn when they stop being puppies.
                            Same with our area- shelters are full of dumped adolescents, no one wants them, and they end up importing puppies from the south.
                            No, quite a few northern shelters take in adult dogs from the south. Our border collie/hound mix came from west virginia with his sister as a 1 year old. They came with a group of about 15 other dogs. Poor dog had spent 7 months in a shelter! He obviously was not very adoptable in the south, but we adopted him within 2 weeks of him coming to our local shelter. His sister had already been adopted.

I like shelters that have no time limit, but not strict no-kill shelters. IMO, aggressive dogs or dogs that need $$$$ treatments should be humanely euthanized, opening up spots and money to bring in new, more adoptable dogs. It drives me crazy to see a shelter trying to raise thousands of dollars for one dog. Think of how many dogs could be helped with that money!

Our local shelter keeps animals for as long it takes. Often times, dogs or cats that are there for long periods of time (8+months) will end up being adopted by a volunteer, or go on TV.

Comment

You know, if everyone wants puppies, not dogs, why don't they get small dogs that stay puppy-like? That was my sister's biggest complaint about my small dogs...to her they still acted like puppies, and she didn't like that. (She has working breed dogs). I know I like little dogs--my current one is a cocker spaniel, and he's about the biggest I would want to go--and I love the fact that he still loves to play with his toys, and sits on the couch with me, etc. When I had my Chihuahua I loved that he was little and cuddly and liked to sit in my lap. It would seem that if people want puppies because they are little and cute, they should pick dogs that stay that way, then there wouldn't be so many unwanted ones.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the no kill shelters. I used to be, until I went to adopt a cat. Elderly, maimed, unhappy warehoused animals living in a 100 cat colony that STANK. And this is a so called reputable shelter. And they gave me a hard time about wanting to adopt because I chose to put down an elderly cat with kidney failure and a poor prognosis before he became completely miserable instead of fighting to the bitter end.

I ended up adopting from another program that actually brings animals up from the states, fosters them, and then sends them out to pet store adoption programs.
                                "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

There are two rescues with no kill shelters near where I used to live. One had almost exclusively puppy mill animals, the adults that were the breeding animals, and when they were too old, the rescue took them. I think this only encouraged the mill to keep going. The second was great, but also no kill, and they had a few animals their entire life, kept in groups, outdoors (but in good conditions, please don't think I object to that), and some were there for years. I know of one that was returned by adopters many times, and the rescue finally stopped even trying to adopt her out. I don't think an animal should spend it's entire life in a wire cage. I know it was a good environment otherwise, but I don't think a sick, or unadoptable animal should spend it's entire life in a kennel like that. Either adopt them out, or put them down humanely.
                                  You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Our adoption lady in our shelter used to tell us that yes, the no-kill shelters were not the best way to go about this and took resources the rest need, but that they were also people doing what they felt they had to do, the way they had to do it, for what they believed.

That didn't mean the ones that took advantage of that were ok, but the ones that honestly were running no-kill shelters were doing good work, if in our opinion, misguided.

In reality, it is incredible that we have this situation where millions of small animals are unwanted, needing controlling and so many end up just being killed.

Comment

I fostered for a rescue in Buffalo NY and 3 out of the 5 that I fostered were out of state transports. One came from Miami and was literally on his last walk to the gas chamber when he was pulled (I kept this one), and two came from WV. Those were big transports, I think 21 dogs came up from Florida and 12 came from WV. The rescue placed them all.

The other two that I fostered came from the city shelter and were deemed unadoptable by them but I had no problems with them and they were soon happily adopted.

Transports do happen.
                                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

At least around here, "no kill" shelters have two issues
                                        1 always full rarely adopt out
                                        2 they are no kill of ADOPTABLE animals- and they get to decide who is adoptable. too young, too old, too ugly, too agressive, wrong breed, too hyper, etc etc are all "unadoptable" and don't count as kills
                                        ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
                                        ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
                                        ~Vet Tech Student
                                        Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats

Comment

Working...
                                        X