• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Doggie doors - in the wall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doggie doors - in the wall?

So I've got a house under contract and am planning what needs to be done. Back yard needs to be fenced and optimally I would like to install a doggie door. Trouble is, the doors to the back yard are of the French variety. I would like to replace them at some point, but not sure what with. So currently there is no door in which to place said doggie door. I saw at Home Depot yesterday a doggie door suitable for wall installation. Does anybody have this configuration or what would you suggest? Way out there option is to extend the deck and add a door in the family room that would take a doggie door...

Sounds vey doable if it wouldn't interfere with things in front of the wall. Also would depend on where your studs are for where it could be placed. Also, wiring, etc would impact it so you have to try and figure out if anything was in the wall.

Guess it would also depend on what the outside material is. If it's siding you probably wouldn't have too much trouble but not sure how it would work if you had to go through brick or stucco.

Comment

• Original Poster

Home inspection is next week, so I'll check out outlets, etc. It is siding outside so not going through something hard. I'm thinking in the dining room between the french doors and the kitchen cabinets. I know adding a people door in the family room would be between 2 outlets, so there would be electrical considerations in that endeavor as well!

Comment

unless you have wiring or plumbing it should be no problem. wallas are usually just studs and insulation, covered by drywall and sheeding, a reciprocating saw will make short order of that!

What I always wanted when I had dogs was an attached dog house with doggy door to the house and of course access to the yard. When the doggy door is lockable you have a good way controlling access to the house. (I am contemplating putting a cat door in the garage. through the wall)
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

My current dog door is in an exterior wall. I built a ramp to the ground using 3 2 X 12's and plywood screwed down. The dogs can hit the dog at a run (although I placed it about 8" above the floor) and go right through. I like a ramp because it's easier for older dogs. It works well for me.

StG

Comment

Just remember that there is wiring in places other than where the outlets are. Also check into radio-controlled dog doors. There's a sensor on the door and on the collar, the door only opens when the dog approaches with the collar on. Helps eliminate wildlife visits and dog doors are excellent, easy access for people up to no good. I love dog doors for convenience, just stay safe! And congrats on your new home!
            You jump in the saddle,
            Hold onto the bridle!
            Jump in the line!
            ...Belefonte

Comment

• Original Poster

Shouldn't need a ramp at this point as there is deck on the outside, so just a hop through. I'll research some other "lockable" options as I was looking at a large size in case Ms. Corgi gets a bigger buddy Luckily, she already knows how to use a door from learning at a friends.

Comment

I put a hole in my house for my dogs!
                I have a doggie door in my bedroom wall that goes to a run.

I used a Hale door. Check out their website - lots of info.
                Here it is in action:
                http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/HPIM0573.jpg

And from the ouside:
                http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/HPIM0572.jpg

Comment

We have this door and we love it: http://www.hitecpet.com/powerpetdoors.html

Comment

I'm sure if you google it, that you'll find pictures and get some great ideas on installations and what they look like (try Google Images). I vaguely remember a Southern Living (either that or Sunset magazine) of a larger doggie door, and the owner installed it in a kitchen cabinet, so they could lock the inside part firmly, but I do remember they framed the inside part, similar to a door jamb.

There are also other possibilities with replacement of one side of the French door with a solid wood or thick plywood side, and cut the doggie door in that-if it's 36" wide, then if you move you can use it in a new house also, and if you need a larger size, then you can just get a bigger doggy door, and cut the hole bigger. Make sure you get a type that locks when you're traveling.
                    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

We have an in-wall doggie door next to the french doors in our dining room. Works fine, it's low to the floor for the convenience of our dogs and the cat (who uses it just fine). Only issue is all the crap they track in when it's wet or muddy outside, so I have a nonslip mat on the inside that soaks up the worst when they first come in. We recently replaced the old unit with an entirely new one using the same hole, no problems. It was an easy job.

When we replace the existing crappy French doors with better ones, I hope to also replace the dog door in the wall with a panel as JanM describes.

Fenced yard and dog door are great conveniences; I can't imagine having dogs without them living as close to the road as we do.

Good luck with the house!
                      I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

Comment

I also have a Hale doggie door installed in my wall under a window. It has held up very well and is lockable. Haven't had any animal intruders yet. I believe that they make one that can be installed in french doors in place of some of the window panes. The company also can install it for you. I highly recommend them.

Comment

Our dog doors get hundreds of uses per day. We found out which ones last, and which don't.

Get these: http://www.plexidors.com/

You can google for competitive prices, but like most real quality things, the price is not cheap. They sell every replacement part, but so far the only part I've needed was the weatherstripping after 5 or 6 years of use.

Ours are built into the walls. I used synthetic decking for the surround and entry through the walls, because we have really thick walls and I had to make them myself. The door is on the inside wall surface.
                          www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everybody! Definitely sounds doable and am off to research

Comment

Originally posted by Tom King View Post
                              Our dog doors get hundreds of uses per day. We found out which ones last, and which don't.

Get these: http://www.plexidors.com/

You can google for competitive prices, but like most real quality things, the price is not cheap. They sell every replacement part, but so far the only part I've needed was the weatherstripping after 5 or 6 years of use.
                              I have been tempted by these. We have a Hale and a Security Boss double flap through doors in the house, and several in the kennel, but do have to replace torn flaps periodically. I am not sure even the largest size is big enough for big male Irish Wolfhounds with very deep chests and long legs. The other question I have is what happens if the dog changes it's mind halfway out, can they back up without getting pinched? But the durability would be wonderful, so dislike having to replace flaps.

Something to consider, OP, is whether your dogs tend to barrel out the doors. Ours sometimes hit the doors full speed, and that contributes to flap tearing. Just visited someone who had barriers the hounds had to go around to go through the doors, that tends to slow them down. You can imagine having 185 pounds of galloping momentum can be hard on a door.

Comment

Originally posted by Houndhill View Post
                                I have been tempted by these. We have a Hale and a Security Boss double flap through doors in the house, and several in the kennel, but do have to replace torn flaps periodically. I am not sure even the largest size is big enough for big male Irish Wolfhounds with very deep chests and long legs. The other question I have is what happens if the dog changes it's mind halfway out, can they back up without getting pinched? But the durability would be wonderful, so dislike having to replace flaps.

Something to consider, OP, is whether your dogs tend to barrel out the doors. Ours sometimes hit the doors full speed, and that contributes to flap tearing. Just visited someone who had barriers the hounds had to go around to go through the doors, that tends to slow them down. You can imagine having 185 pounds of galloping momentum can be hard on a door.

If this is the case you can make sure the door is placed close to a fence (since it will already be going out to the deck) - therefore the dog will have to control their speed going in & out because the fence will be directly in front of the door. Our whirlwind of a setter used to hurl in and out of the dog door until we moved and it had to go on a door that led to the narrow porch. Fence solved all rushing in/out, lol.

I would definitely consider getting the locking system ones. I have a friend who has a fenced in backyard - ideal for a doggie door, you'd think. However she lives in downtown Durham, NC and would not even consider it for safety reasons.
                                "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                                "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Original Poster

Layla is not a rusher. She's been known to merely poke her head out to see what everybody else is barking about when we visit with my friend's 3 other dogs So, the saloon flap type might be an issue there. Of course if we get her a buddy, that is an unknown, but there will only be so much of a running start due to the depth of the deck.

Comment

I've got both rushers and pokers.

The doghouse attached to the house with the door on the side would conceal the dog door pretty well, plus provide a deterrent to the rushers.

Comment

Originally posted by MsM View Post
                                      I put a hole in my house for my dogs!
                                      I have a doggie door in my bedroom wall that goes to a run.

I used a Hale door. Check out their website - lots of info.
                                      Here it is in action:
                                      http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/HPIM0573.jpg

And from the ouside:
                                      http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/HPIM0572.jpg
                                      I have a similar setup, but without the ramp and there's also a chain link cover on the kennel. I have a bike lock on the gate, so I leave the dog door open 100% of the time without having to worry about intruders of the human or critter kind. Yes, it would be easy to cut the chain link with wire cutters, but then they'd have to climb in through a dog door that is clearly for a large dog.

I'll try to remember to post a picture. I used Hale as well. They just cut a hole in the brick.

Comment

What we love about ours (http://www.hitecpet.com/powerpetdoors.html) is that it only opens in reaction to the pet's collar, so no other critters can get in and out. It's three-way lockable with the push of a button, so it we can let them out but not in, in but not out, or close it entirely. We've had it two years now and had to replace batteries in the collars a couple times but so far, so good. Our dogs are 60 and 75 lbs and get through it easily. I could see it being trickier for really big dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                        X