• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Feral cat with bum leg - GOOD UPDATE on Capt'n Jack Sparrow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral cat with bum leg - GOOD UPDATE on Capt'n Jack Sparrow

Our one-eyed former-Tom who I named Capt'n Jack Sparrow showed up with what I believed to be a broken leg about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Wasn't sure how he got injured - there has been a young Tom around that I had yet to trap and sometimes they can fight almost to the death. I never knew how viscious Tom cats could be until we had one around a few months ago that pinned poor Jack down and was really intent on killing him. Jack was neutered, microchipped, vaccinated and de-flea'd about a year ago as part of the Sheltering Hands feral cat program here in Marion County - I have a small registered colony of ferals here (5 registered - 1 female and 4 males plus my one domestic outdoor girl, Peaches). Anyway, the new Tom looks exactly like Jack - could be his son, so I dubbed him Jackson - and I did see him fighting with another of my ex-Tom's so I trapped him and had him rehomed where he would get neutered etc.

So back to Capt'n Jack. He was injured - not using his front left paw at all and it was severely swollen with some hair missing where the knee is. I tried to trap him for 2 weeks, but he is no dummy - he's about 5 years old from what the vet who neutered him could tell, so he has survived a lot between the damaged eye and his other battle scars. I had to go away on business for a week and my husband worked the trap detail. Last Thursday night I left the trap baited extra late - had been locking the trap open during the night because we have a ton of raccoons and this particular trap is not one that is easy to release a truly dangerous animal from. I had already caught Peaches a couple of times, so this time I came out with my flashlight and see a raccoon on top of the cage, Peaches beside it, and some shining eyes in the cage. I really thought a second raccoon was in there and was bummed and wondering how the heck I could safely release it. Then I noticed that it was black and sure enough it was Capt'n Jack in there. Thank God!

I shooed the raccoon away (carefully), and covered the cage with a sheet while Jack hissed and scrambled around in there. For a minute there I thought he would get loose, but he did not. I locked the cage in our empty, secire chicken coop so that nothing could get at Jack in the night. Next morning I put him in my SUV (after putting many garbage bags in the cargo area in case he peed). My vet is open at 7, so I drove him right there and explained the situation. They kept him to evaluate and called me later to ask if I thought the leg was broken. I said I did not know for sure and authorized x-rays. My vet told me that she would recommend putting him down if it was broken because I would not be able to handle him to change the splint etc. I said I'd like to give him a chance, but do not want to see him suffer if he will not improve. The x-rays did not show any broken bones, but there is a lot of instability in the joint - vet thinks it may have been dislocated and some tendon damage - almost like an ACL injury. She said she's sen that in housecats, and many times they do not heal and need amputation, which is not an option with Jack. She also said there is swelling even 2 1/2 weeks after the injury and she could not aspirate it. SHe gave me the option of giving him a long lasting antibiotic shot and taking him home for 2 weeks to see if he improved. SHe shaved the leg so I could watch the swelling and they tested him for FIV because he would not heal if he had that (he was negative).

We took him home last Friday and made a room for him in the chicken coop. Put a cat bed in there, litter box, and there are clean shavings about 3 inches think in there already because we lost our last rooster at Easter and I cleaned it thoroughly. He has the roosting nests above, a screen door, fresh water and his favorite wet food.

Good news is that the swelling has almost completely gone away - there is a strange bump on it, but I think that is part of the tendon or unstable area. He is eating well, which the vet said if he stops eating or seems in pain or lethargic that he may be suffering and to let her know. His coat is shiny and he almost seemed to enjoy the safe haven for the first few days. I would find him laying in the cat bed like a king. He is starting to get a little restless although he has not bolted for the door when I change his food and water. I spend time with him in there 3 or 4 times a day. He had started to let me pat him and would meow and follow me when I brought his food about 2 weeks before he got injured, but since then he has not let me touch him and hissed at me if I get too close. I am trying to gain back that trust.

He did use the bad foot yesterday to scratch some of the shavings out of the way and lay down - that is a great sign. He also left it down when he ate this morning - usually he bends it under while he eats.

One more week and we'll see how he is doing and decide when to release him. A friend suggested we keep him in there, but he would be miserable. I know he is vulnerable out in the world, but I think he would prefer to take his chances rather than being confined to such a small area. As long as no other mean cats come by, and he stays out of the road, he seems content in our yard, barn and shed.

Here he is = please send some jingles his way - I really would love to have him back with at least some use of that foot. He's such a good boy at heart - he just got a bum deal in life early on. I hope I am doing the right thing for him....

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...80760784_n.jpg

Here you can see his bad eye
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...38534507_n.jpg
    Last edited by witherbee; Apr. 16, 2013, 09:14 PM. Reason: update

Wishing him well! Hope when he's better, he might like his little coop kingdom to be lured back in there at night where he would be safer.

Comment

Bless you for taking such good care of him and not putting him down right away.
      Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Jingles! Cats are survivors! Sounds like he has made some good progress! Glad you were finally able to trap him!
        I love cats, I love every single cat....
        So anyway I am a cat lover
        And I love to run.

Comment

Lots of jingles for Cap'n Jack! I hope he continues to improve and like another poster said, maybe he'll be content to stay in his new digs at night.

Comment

More jingles from VA. We had a kitty that showed up with a broken back leg, which had to be amputated. I know you said that is not an option, so hoping that your kitty heals and can stay with you.
            stained glass groupie
            www.equiglas.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys

I hope he will go in the coop at night, but normally he sleeps in the barn. He's pretty safe in there.

Today he actually seemed to be using that leg. I keep thinking of him like a horse on layup - it is painful to keep them cooped up (literally!), but is best for them. He hunkered down to eat his breakfast, and instead of curling that leg under, he flexed it like the other one and seemed to be putting weight on it. I am so hopeful for him!

Comment

Jingles for Cap'n Jack. Kudos for you for looking after him.

Comment

We put a cat flap in our hay shed. Maybe you could something like that? It gives our barn cats a safe place with food and water.

Comment

JBD has a good idea there. I hope that Capt'n Jack is continuing to feel better.
                    If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
                    Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Original Poster

Good news - he is walking on the bad leg!

As I was leaving this morning for my trip to St Petersburg FL, my husband stopped my car and told me to come see Jack. He was walking on the bad leg - actually USING it! I am so happy for him! Another week confined and he may be almost as good as new! Will have to see what to go when we let him lose again - we do not have anywhere to put a cat door - our barn is open. Maybe we can do something with the coop he is in, but anything he can get in, the racoons and foxes etc can get it too. It will be up to him and good luck as far as how he does, but he is a smart guy.

Took some pictures and video but am not home - will post this weekend...

Thanks for the well wishes!

Comment

Fantastic news! Looking forward to both the pictures and the video.
                        If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
                        Desmond Tutu

Comment

Yeah for Jack! Is there some way you could put a small cat flap in the coop. I don't think a raccoon could get in. We got ours at Lowe's. It's set up so that you can lock it both ways, or just one way or the other.

My elderly cat was in so much pain that she didn't want to move around at all. I put food and water within reach and moved her into the litter box a couple of times a day. It got a bit better with drugs. Two days later she was walking around pretty normally. Two days after that she was trotting around the house and leaping on to things (and off the drugs). I wish the dang horses healed that fast.
                          The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Peggy - I'm just going to let him loose - I do not think he would go back in that coop if I paid him lol!

Here he is from a week ago - I videod more of the coop than I thought at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU...&v=qIvyV13ThLg

I plan to let him loose on Saturday. I spoke to the vet and she agrees. He is starting to get really restless in there.

I'm betting he will run to the barn or the neighbor's. I'll sit outside and watch him. He'll be back at dinner I'm sure though - he is a chow hound. He is letting me pet him again too, which is great.

Comment

He's a very handsome boy! I'm so glad that he is recovering so well. He'll forgive you, I'm sure. Animals are better at forgiving than we humans are.
                              Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                              X